View Poll Results: POLL: Since you started using you Vision/V3/V3i how many bad D2 coils have you had?

Voters
33. You may not vote on this poll
  • None

16 48.48%
  • 1 Bad Coil

9 27.27%
  • 2 Bad Coils

3 9.09%
  • 3 Bad Coils

4 12.12%
  • 4 or More Bad Coils

1 3.03%
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: How Many Bad D2 Coils Have You Had

How Many Bad D2 Coils Have You Had

Thanks for participating in this poll!
    "Knowledge counts but common sense matters." ~ LouAnne Johnson

Minelab E-Trac - Whites Vision/V3 - JeTco GTX Huntmaster - Whites Bullseye TRX - Garrett Pro-Pointer

Re: How Many Bad D2 Coils Have You Had

This is going to be interesting. Would also like to know how much the coils were used and how they were stored when not in use. What I am interested in is if there is any correlation between amount of use and just shelf time before a coil went bad.
    Golden uMax w/CleanSweep - Deus

Should I vote None if I've never owned a D2?
    Garrett Ace 250 - Whites Eagle Spectrum - Whites MXT - [Modified] Whites Surf PI Pro - Minelab E-TRAC
    I have ADD!!! (Addiction to Detecting Disorder)

We all know your special Hobbes. lol How you doing Buddy? Good to hear from you.

Minelab E-Trac - Whites Vision/V3 - JeTco GTX Huntmaster - Whites Bullseye TRX - Garrett Pro-Pointer

my d2 stay on my V3i went the site let me use it but a lot of place we got to do a lot of work on we hit one today but if you go slow the d2 hard to beat but that just me
    TDI Pro MXT Pro Mxt V3i 4x6 6x10 9 1/2 10" 12 super 9x14 12"DF 7.5 DF dx-1 garrett pro pointer

Need some help.
    Are the D2 now fixed? If so how do you know if you have the newer version? Is there a date or something?
    I'm thinking of getting v3i and want the newer D2.

So far 12 returns and 5 keepers...

White's V3i Excalibur 1000

I remember sending five in.One of last ones I got back would pass the overload test at RX15 in the air,but not with TX on.This one got sent back to me,passing thier new standards.New or lower,call it what you want,I still (in my opinion) dont think whites has the D2 coil issue figured out and I wasnt about to spend $125 to have it ....lets leave it at that.You'll never hear me say whites customer service isnt absolutely fabulous,but my E-Trac will be here tommorrow.
    E-Trac, X-1
    Sovereign GT, S-1
    Ace 250

I am on my 4th. Its been about 10 months now and so far so good. I also have the v rated 10DD for my V3i that seems to be ok. I heard the story about the bad epoxy mix.... But for it to go on this long it has to be something else. I also heard this coil has a thermal sensor in it.
    Having fun is what it is all about!

My latest D2 has been rock solid and more stable than any of the other coils I have had. I am thinking they got the epoxy shrinkage thing worked out finally. Let's hope this is the case. This pole is simply to get an idea of how prevalent this coil issue was. Nugget, I hope you choose to hold on to your V3. I would really enjoy hearing your experiences and comparisons with the new E-Trac.

Jack

I have had 2 coils also.My first one was due to the connection to the box on the coil lead. Whites sent me a new coil told me I could what ever with the old one. I took it apart and fixed it,a broken wire. Now I have 2 coils, both work fine and I have found stuff past 12 inches and neither will TX boost or RX at 15,or run past 90 at all places.But both seem to function just fine. Yazoo

I voted none but I've only had the chance to use mine for about 4 hours of swing time.
    "When My Ship Comes In, I'll Probably be At The Airport"

Whites V3i 10DD, 6x10DD, Sunray DX-1

I got my V3 when it came out. 2009. The coil worked ok, I thought, but I really didn't have a handle on working the machine. In June of 2010, I had to keep turning down the rx setting as the machine would get unstable the longer I hunted. Got a replacement coil, everything is great. White's has definitely solved the epoxy issue. I have found more old coins, silver, large cents, indians, etc. with the V3i than I ever have with the DFX. The D2 coil goes deep, pinpoints easily and gets between the trash and iron. Angel and I did a test in the field, comparing signals between the Etrac and V3i, each machine detected the deep targets equally well. For the detectorist, it is a matter of preference on which machine to use. Both are very capable.
    Metal Detector, Inline Pinpointer, 6th Sense

Thanks for contributing your expertise Midas! Along with the depth factor I think both these machines do well with pulling good targets out of trashy areas as well. I find a lot of coins in the same hole with iron bits these days.

So the running tally is 20 bad and 8 good. 60% replacement. 40% still working. Whether the still working coils are the new epoxy, not used much, or just good from the get go we will never know. Glad to see they have the problem fixed. There was never a doubt in my mind that White's wouldn't make things right. Just a big hassle for buyers and too big of a hassle for many would be buyers.

I bought my first D2 coil when they first came out (before the Vision) and I used it all of the time on my MXT, never had any problems with it, I bought my V3I in May this year and used the D2 coil that came with it for about a month till one day my brother said you're older coil looks lighter than the one that came with the V3i so I went back to my original D2 which is lighter and it's on my detector right now.

Veteran Member

I haven't had Mine go bad on My V3...
    I did on My DFX, Whites sent Me another one and it's fine !
    V3i DFX 10 DD 6x10 DD 4x6 DD DX-1

Thank you gentleman for the feedback. Your insight is much appreciated, and adds to the thread.

Jack

Quote Originally Posted by odave View Post
    I haven't had Mine go bad on My V3...
    I did on My DFX, Whites sent Me another one and it's fine !
    just like Dave, I had a shielding problem with my D2 on my DFX and Whites took care of it and sent a new coil, on the D2 that came with the V3i, it has running fine...
    Sacramento California
    V3i DFX MXT
    Excalibur II