Thread: One Small Sweet Victory

One Small Sweet Victory

Over the past few years when I have made trips back to New England to visit family I have when possible taken the detectors and gone over my grandmother's yard. She has lived in her house since the 40's and raised three children there. I believe the house dates back to the early 1900's. It has a large yard and is in a decent sized city with plenty of history to it. It always seemed like it would be a great place to detect. Sadly however, it is the hardest place I have ever hunted. The Tracker was funky here for sure. The Sov would always null on every swing in this yard, even with the sensitivity as low as it would go. I spite of this, I have managed in previous hunts to find 14 wheat pennies as well as some older misc junk, but never any silver. My father alleged I would not find any - he said they were to poor when he was a kid to loose dimes or quarters.

At any rate, I was interested to see how the Etrac would run in this spot. I was back home for the holiday and had a chance to give it a go. It did not run much better than the Sov. I set the sensitivy to auto and it still nulled on every swing. I adjusted to auto -1 and it was still pretty bad. The only way to avoid constant nulling was to move the coil at an impossibly slow rate. And all targets with any depth whatsoever would give jumpy, wonky tones and numbers. Regardless, I still kept at it for a while, pulling quite a bit of iron bits and misc junk. I got a few more of those odd shaped items you see in the pic; I'm not sure what they are but I've pulled a dozen or so from this yard. I dug an old lighter too, along with a nice marble from the same hole. Finally, I got my first convincing sounding coin tone, and low and behold out pops a silver dime. I was a bit dissappointed to find it was a '62 Rosie, but I'm still pretty pleased. It was the only coin I found in about an hour of swinging. My father and his sisters would have been in their teens in 1962, so it's possible one of them dropped this very coin... but of course there's no way to know for sure. I know a Rosie is no great shakes but I was pleased with myself for getting it under such rough conditions and as it came from my grandmother's yard it has more value than the usual silver dime to me!

I'm hoping to get out tomorrow but for the life of me I have no idea what kind of hunting to do... tot lots, dirt for clad, or dirt for silver.

Anyway... happy hunting!

Attached Images Attached Images   
    Minelab E-Trac - Minelab Sovereign GT - Bounty Hunter Tracker IV - Tesoro Compadre
    Oldest find - 1804 Draped Bust Half Cent

Re: One Small Sweet Victory

Seeing silver in the hole is always exciting, even when the coin is just a Roosevelt. Those types of sites do require a very slow and steady swing. You would be surprised at the depth the E-Trac is capable of even in those conditions, though the signals will sound distorted for sure. I wish you much success in your next hunt! thumbsup01

Nice that you finally got silver at that site. Love the marble. It's like a bonus for digging a hole. lol It is hard to do houses that have lots of iron and junk in them. The nulling is part of the game, I guess. But if you go slow enough, signals peek out from that null. This is the only way I have found to get some targets that other machines just miss. It's not a perfect way to do it, but it got you silver lol Great hunt. Now are those initials on that lighter?? Anyone you know?
    Finding relics is in my blood

GPX 5000, CTX 3030, E Trac, Vista Gold

The rosie is a trophy for sure!

Almost anything out of the yard is going to be great since you have a tie to the place.

Those trashy kind of sites aren't what we all hope for, but I can only imagine the Etrac will sound off in a null on silver. I've hunted sites where I don't hear my threshold for four or five swings at a time and it still will id a keeper during the quiet.

Glad to hear you had a fun hunt Z. Congrats.

Nice hunt there Matt and can't beat those Rosie's. I found out the hard way to go oh so slow and it makes a huge difference..
    Minelab E-Trac
    Whites DFX
    Garrett Pro Pointer

Congrats on the silver find! DON'T turn down your sensitivity!!! Your E-Trac is nulling becuase there is iron under the coil, it has nothing to do with mineralization.

Yes, in very trashy spots you will have to move the coil VERY slow. This is the E-Trac STRENGTH. Other VLF machine have to be moved at least at a certian speed or it wont detecting anything. The E-Trac can see targets with almost zero movement.
    Minelab E-Trac, Sunray X-1 probe
    White's SM2
    White's SM PI pro

Check out my treasure hunting videos at http://www.youtube.com/user/TheSilverFiend

http://www.facebook.com/pages/The-Si...03270629825473

http://www.thesilverfiend.com

Veteran Member

Nice Roosevelt there buddy. Hope you can pull in some more before the year is out.