Thread: Figuring Out Nickels

Candidate Member

Figuring Out Nickels

By no means am I highly qualified to
    give tips but this helps me for nickels
    (If I state the obvious I'm sorry)

First off let me tell you I hunt in
    local parks that are trashy (Beaver Tail Infested)
    And only dig Nickel sounds that are 5 inches
    and more. I can hear you already!

But when I get the nickel signal
    In pinpoint (sizing for me) I listen
    for the loudness of the pinpoint
    If its overly loud normally its not
    a nickel Its aluminum.
    What is your nickel tip?

HH
    BIG JOHN
    To Have The Best You Have To Make It Yourself

Re: Figuring Out Nickels

I don't dig nickel signals in the hope of finding a nickel. I dig in the hopes of finding gold, so I don't over-analyze the signals too much. If it beeps, is solid, I dig.
    Minelab E-Trac, Sunray X-1 probe
    White's SM2
    White's SM PI pro

Check out my treasure hunting videos at http://www.youtube.com/user/TheSilverFiend

http://www.facebook.com/pages/The-Si...03270629825473

http://www.thesilverfiend.com

I see this is the Minelab forum but what machine are you specifically using? I recently started using a 305 with 18.75 conc coil. Nickels seem to be its specialty. If it shows to be a 12, and not dancing around, it is a nickel. Also the nickels sound off louder than tabs and foil, unlike your experience...
    Golden uMax w/CleanSweep - Deus

Quote Originally Posted by bigjohn070 View Post

First off let me tell you I hunt in
    local parks that are trashy (Beaver Tail Infested)
    And only dig Nickel sounds that are 5 inches
    and more. I can hear you already!

HH
    BIG JOHN
    Hey Big John. I think your strategy is a good one for your situation. You will be missing some gold rings though. But you will dig a thousand less pull tabs too lol I would dig the nickle signals that are deeper too, since I would only be interested in the older Buffalo and V nickles. You may want to keep track on how the pull tab readings you ignore register. If they always bounce around, and you get a reading that is solid you may want to dig that one. That way you have a chance of finding some gold or other items that may slightly register different than the common tab does.
    Finding relics is in my blood

GPX 5000, CTX 3030, E Trac, Vista Gold

I always dig 4+ nickel like signals. I say nickel like because while surface nickels tend to hit a fairly solid FE CO of 12-13, the deeper ones do not. My experience has been that the E-Trac doesn't hit on nickels nearly as well as it does silver. That's not to say it can't find them deep, it does. What I mean by that is that nickel signals tend to be very erratic on both FE and CO. This is especially true for war nickels. It's almost as if the E-Trac is confused by the silver in the war nickels and the low conducting nickel metal itself. There may be settings in the E-Trac that may help or even make it worse. I really haven't been able to test this and the sad part is, I just don't find many nickels in my neck of the woods.
    [move]White’s MXT Minelab E-Trac Oldest coin: 1875 Indian Head Cent Oldest Silver Coin: 1886 Seated Liberty Dime[/move]

Like Dale said nickels hit very solid and clearly on the E-trac, with a solid 12/13, unless they are a bit deep, then the numbers can be all over. I can distinguish the shallower ones from pulltabs, although I'll dig it all to get the gold I have not found a wartime nickel with the E-trac yet so I can't comment on that.
    Minelab E-Trac/Sun Ray X-1 -- Minelab Sovereign GT/Sun Ray S-1 -- White's v3i/Sun Ray DX-1
    Fisher CZ3D -- Tesoro Tiger Shark -- Garrett ACE 250

I generally dig all solid nickel hits especially if they are deeper signals. You dig a few beavertails here and there but for the most part I have been able to dig some nice old nickels. I have not dug any really deep ones (deeper than 7 inches) so I cannot really comment on how they come in on the Etrac.