Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Hit n' Run militia button.

Hit n' Run militia button.

Swung by an old cellar hole today for an hour.....at dark I found this button...didn't know what what it was until I got back to the jeep...EXCELSIOR!!!! WOOT WOOT! stoked on this one....thanks for lookin.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Re: Hit n' Run militia button.

sweet! sittin on the globe type! i still gotta get me one of dem! congrats man!
    2008-14 coppers
    2009-32 coppers
    2010-34 coppers 2-GW buttons
    2011- 80 & 3/4 coppers 1-GW button
    2012- 92 coppers/large cents 1-GW button
    2013- 57 1/4 coppers 6- GW Buttons
    2014- 69 coppers 1-GW button
    2015- 20 1/4 coppers
    2016-44 coppers 1-GW button
    2017-19 & 1/2 coppers
    2018-19 coppers 1-GW
    2019-5 coppers
    click to see my photo album

Great hit Jesse <: You gotta try Del's cleaning method on that one. Maybe some silver left on it!!!
    Finding relics is in my blood

GPX 5000, CTX 3030, E Trac, Vista Gold

great button Jesse , New York Militia (1805 - 35) what kind of backmark does it have . those usually have a thick layer of silver plating and do clean up well. congrats on a beautiful piece of early history
    "Honesty is an expensive gift ,
    so don't expect it from cheap people"

XP Deus II , DFX ,TDI sl -

Click here to view my finds album

Quote Originally Posted by del View Post
    great button Jesse , New York Militia (1805 - 35) what kind of backmark does it have . those usually have a thick layer of silver plating and do clean up well. congrats on a beautiful piece of early history
    Hey Dan, could you PM me your cleaning method...I recall seeing how beautiful your Excelsior buttons turned out.

Quote Originally Posted by sniffy View Post
    Hey Dan, could you PM me your cleaning method...I recall seeing how beautiful your Excelsior buttons turned out.
    rofl so much for the rustic look you were going for aye?
    yeah Jess don't use the electric bench grinder/wire brush wheel combo on this one like the last one you tried to clean just kiddin man
    2008-14 coppers
    2009-32 coppers
    2015- 20 1/4 coppers
    2017-19 & 1/2 coppers
    2018-19 coppers 1-GW
    2019-5 coppers

Quote Originally Posted by HEAVYMETALNUT View Post
    yeah Jess don't use the electric bench grinder/wire brush wheel combo on this one like the last one you tried to clean just kiddin man
    wow Jesse , that just ain't right that sounds like excelsior button envy to me lol lol

Jesse on those type of Brass buttons just mix about half clr (the clacium lime rust product) and half water in a cup (you don't want it any stronger), take a toothbrush and dip it in the stuff and brush the button untill you see it foam up a little and discolor .then rinse off under running water and repeat until your satisfied with the results after just give it a good warm rinse and then pat it dry with a paper towel and then put something on it to preserve it ( vaseline , metal protecyor or something similar ). it won't harm the silver gilting at all but it might make it a little gray in color ( but you can take a jeweler's cloth and shine it up again) if there is any pitting on the button where the gilt had came off before you found it it will show more you do this process. generally the gilt on these buttons are worn around the outside &quot part but the inside holds alot of silver gilt . take your time with it it should look pretty good when your done .
    if you have anymore questions just let me know.

Dan

GEE WIZ....there was no savin that last button..I found it in a swampy area....maybe the gritty sandpaper didnt' help either... lol

Quote Originally Posted by del View Post
    wow Jesse , that just ain't right that sounds like excelsior button envy to me lol lol

Jesse on those type of Brass buttons just mix about half clr (the clacium lime rust product) and half water in a cup (you don't want it any stronger), take a toothbrush and dip it in the stuff and brush the button untill you see it foam up a little and discolor .then rinse off under running water and repeat until your satisfied with the results after just give it a good warm rinse and then pat it dry with a paper towel and then put something on it to preserve it ( vaseline , metal protecyor or something similar ). it won't harm the silver gilting at all but it might make it a little gray in color ( but you can take a jeweler's cloth and shine it up again) if there is any pitting on the button where the gilt had came off before you found it it will show more you do this process. generally the gilt on these buttons are worn around the outside &quot part but the inside holds alot of silver gilt . take your time with it it should look pretty good when your done .
    if you have anymore questions just let me know.

Dan
    Man the abuse! Ill try the CLR method....hopefully it turns out well...because my last excelsior button was a flop and all the pitting sticks out like a sore thumb now. It was pretty rough under the crust.

I guess you can't polish a turd and expect it to be pretty.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

It's the one on the right, correct?? That cleaned up pretty good Jesse. It didn't have any silver left to expose, so you didn't ruin anything. Now that it has no gilt left, you have to finish the job. If you are ever up this way, stop by and we can brighten it up and maybe save the other one too. Buttons are not like coins. They hold up much better and take a cleaning better too. Coins are the luck of the draw, but buttons have a lot of life left in them.

Quote Originally Posted by coinnut View Post
    It's the one on the right, correct?? That cleaned up pretty good Jesse. It didn't have any silver left to expose, so you didn't ruin anything. Now that it has no gilt left, you have to finish the job. If you are ever up this way, stop by and we can brighten it up and maybe save the other one too. Buttons are not like coins. They hold up much better and take a cleaning better too. Coins are the luck of the draw, but buttons have a lot of life left in them.
    Im up that way all the time George. I'd like some cleaning hints and tips...we should all get together for another hunt soon.

Im up that way all the time George. I'd like some cleaning hints and tips...we should all get together for another hunt soon.
    I know, I hope the weather holds up so we can detect one time before that snow stuff hits

I know, I hope the weather holds up so we can detect one time before that snow stuff hits
    The snow never stopped me before! Is the great Coinut getting soft and cuddly?

The snow never stopped me before! Is the great Coinut getting soft and cuddly?
    rofl I was worried about you Mr. delicate flower rofl I usually have Wednesdays off. Maybe next week we can get together for a cellar hole hunt. I still want to try my x-5 on one of them hunted out holes. Although lately, the hunted out ones have been just that....hunted out lol

rofl I was worried about you Mr. delicate flower rofl I usually have Wednesdays off. Maybe next week we can get together for a cellar hole hunt. I still want to try my x-5 on one of them hunted out holes. Although lately, the hunted out ones have been just that....hunted out lol
    WEDNESDAYS!?!?!?! I only get a Saturday or Sunday to hunt. Sites are gettin scarce...but Ole Sniffy found an old colonial today in the middle of nowheres while on the clock.

looks good to me! nice job!
    2008-14 coppers
    2009-32 coppers
    2015- 20 1/4 coppers
    2017-19 & 1/2 coppers
    2018-19 coppers 1-GW
    2019-5 coppers

looks good to me! nice job!
    thumbsup01 i second that

I kneeled at the edge of my bed, stared at the ceiling with my hands crossed and begged for silver.

I kneeled at the edge of my bed, stared at the ceiling with my hands crossed and begged for silver.
    rofl That is why they make them little silver plating kits Drop it in and wait for the silvered button to appear lol