Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Dime error

Dime error

Take a look. It's a 1965 dime. All I know is it's some kind of rim error. Need help with this one.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    " What doesn't kill you makes you stronger"

Re: Dime error

I know what your thinking. Cut with a lathe or something. the rim teeth are not choppy and the other part isn't shredded. Could be a or Planchet error. Can't find anything close to it.Could be worth alot, no? <:

Look at the front and back:

Never seen that kind of thing before. Very odd.
    Minelab E-Trac, Sunray X-1 probe
    White's SM2
    White's SM PI pro

Check out my treasure hunting videos at http://www.youtube.com/user/TheSilverFiend

http://www.facebook.com/pages/The-Si...03270629825473

http://www.thesilverfiend.com

For it to be a legitimate mint error, there would have to be evidence that it could have actually happened in the minting process. Since the blanks (planchets) are stamped out, and then go to a machine (upsetting mill) that rolls the rim, it would have to be in the rimming of the coin that it occures. Once a rim is applied, it would go to the dies which would stamp the obverse and reverse designs along with the reeding that is in the collet. If it isn't capable of being done there, I doubt that it was a mint error. Hopefully someone with error coin experience can tell us some more. This is just my guess on how I would think it would happen.
    Finding relics is in my blood

GPX 5000, CTX 3030, E Trac, Vista Gold

It looks like a groove that was made for someone to tie a string around to try and retrieve it after it was used in a phone/vending machine.Maybe
    E-Trac, X-1
    Sovereign GT, S-1
    Ace 250

Quote Originally Posted by BHNugget View Post
    It looks like a groove that was made for someone to tie a string around to try and retrieve it after it was used in a phone/vending machine.Maybe
    Very possible You could put a thin wire around it and make a handle so you could hold it. A similar device was made for the old skee ball machines at the amusement parks. The guy who would fix them would have one of them dime sized tools so he could start the machine without spending a dime each time lol

That's something you don't see everyday.

Very interesting....

Looks like something like an acid was used to dissolve some copper. The nickel clad is harder and therefore doesnt dissolve as quickly as the pure copper core.
    From The Pacific Northwest to Orange County...
    White's XLT, Ace 250 - 2010 YTD $4.28

Here you go Sal....so far it's worth $1.61 lol but that is just on fleebay.
    http://cgi.ebay.com/unc-1985d-error-roosevelt-dime-mint-set-LOOK-/26070243370pt=Coins_US_Individual&hash=item3cb31371ac
    Keep track of where it ends up. If it were rare, the big boys would bid on it.

I would have to think it was made for cheating gambling machines.A fishing string on it and bob it in a machine for a bit and rack up points then cash out. Yazoo

I found that exact thing happen to a quarter last year... from what I was told, there seems to be a corrosive effect that goes on that causes that to happen. I've heard it was a saltwater thing, but either way it is really weird for sure!
    CTX 3030, Garrett Propointer
    2013 Silver count: 27
    2012 Silver count: 30
    2011 Silver count: 58
    2010 Silver count: 77

I have found one similiar to yours at the beach, not sure if I can find it easily. At the time I thought it was the salt water that ate the copper layer more aggresively than the nickle layer!! Just my two cents.
    White's Spectra V3i "update", MXT, Prizm V, and Sun Ray Invader DX-1.
    Coils: stock 950 on MXT; 10" DD, Super 12, 950 Eclipse, and 4x6 DD Eclipse Shooter for the V3.

"The only person who never made a mistake never did anything!!"

Hey Guys! The coins been in a roll for a long time. See the toning. One layer is reeded and the other is plain and slightly thinner. I'm old enough to remember the coin and string trick and everyone I've see was done by drilling a small hole and tying the line through the coin. Also the majority of them were Quarters not dimes. Who would go through all the trouble on a phone call, that's if it even would work on a telephone. Also, It's clearly been in a roll or something due to the toning. I have a book called Price guide to MINT ERRORS by Alan Herbert. It's the best error coin book I've seen. I'll look in the Planchet section or the rim section and see the process. >:\ Don't rain on my parade debunker's. lol lol

>:\ >:\ >:\ >:\ >:\

Found my corroded 1990 P beach dime. Might be comparing apples and oranges, you decide.
    White's Spectra V3i "update", MXT, Prizm V, and Sun Ray Invader DX-1.
    Coils: stock 950 on MXT; 10" DD, Super 12, 950 Eclipse, and 4x6 DD Eclipse Shooter for the V3.

"The only person who never made a mistake never did anything!!"

That dime doesn't look too bad from the front for being in the salt water, but look what it did to the rim Man it ate that core right up Pretty soon all of our money will just dissolve in the dirt

I found this 1968 dime in the dirt probably a year ago. It been stting here on my desk. Rims of coins missing.... maybe an alien thing
    Having fun is what it is all about!

They're coming out of the woodwork now lol Lots of rim errors found. Very similar too. Them sneaky aliens lol

I too have a dime just like yours but mine has a pits on the face and the back is not touched at all almost like leaving all of the silver intact. I have some photo's so i will post later. I am thinking that the dime i have is more of a error caused by a student in a chemistry lab using an electrolysis technique to strip the copper away leaving the Nickel behind. Only because of the way the pits appear to be something a liquid would disolve. Very strange, i was wondering if anyone else had something like this before.

I would guess it is electrolysis from some other chemical or metal