Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Cold, blizzard hunt with Del

Cold, blizzard hunt with Del

It was COLD this morning lol and with a blizzard coming just after we started hunting, we had to make the best of probably our last hunt of the year. It was around 20 degrees at 6:30 AM and it didn't take long before the wind picked up and the snow strarted. Lucky it was a fine powder that was not leading to much accumulation. thumbsup01 We decided to hit a site that had four cellar holes in a small area. This was what we call out &quotutton site. To date, we have pulled over 550 buttons from this area. The only thing I can think of, is that these houses collected old clothes and sold the material after the buttons were cut off. Today did not dissapoint, as most of my finds were buttons Found 23 of them before my fingers decided to call it quits Nice selection, but only 2 had designs on them. A great way to end a great year
    Attached Images Attached Images    
    Finding relics is in my blood

GPX 5000, CTX 3030, E Trac, Vista Gold

Re: Cold, blizzard hunt with Del

just when ya think ya cleaned that place out ...... 8/ nice job! love that designed tombac!
    2008-14 coppers
    2009-32 coppers
    2010-34 coppers 2-GW buttons
    2011- 80 & 3/4 coppers 1-GW button
    2012- 92 coppers/large cents 1-GW button
    2013- 57 1/4 coppers 6- GW Buttons
    2014- 69 coppers 1-GW button
    2015- 20 1/4 coppers
    2016-44 coppers 1-GW button
    2017-19 & 1/2 coppers
    2018-19 coppers 1-GW
    2019-5 coppers
    click to see my photo album

That site is still yielding old buttons? You and Dan have dug up plenty of them from there. I was tempted to go out this morning too, but the cold did not agree with me. lol I'm sure glad I went out this past Friday.

Quote Originally Posted by angellionel View Post
    That site is still yielding old buttons? You and Dan have dug up plenty of them from there. I was tempted to go out this morning too, but the cold did not agree with me. lol I'm sure glad I went out this past Friday.
    That place still has a lot to give, although it is in the 8+ inch and up range. With the soil sorta moist, it is lighting up targets that are almost impossible to find in dry soil. Some of them little buttons were 7 deep stretcher: I knew you weren't going hunting this weekend. You are semi-retired until a warm Spring day. lol

Veteran Member

Not too many places like that to hunt here in Illinois. Maybe some day i'll get a chance to hunt out east. Nice finds.

way to go george! willy

550 BUTTONS?!?!?!?! GEE WIZZZ! Any flat button is always welcome in my pouch! Nice hunt fellas! thumbsup01

Quote Originally Posted by sniffy View Post
    550 BUTTONS?!?!?!?!
    At least. That's why I think it was a sort of fabric recycling place. I'm not sure when of if they used cotton in paper making or something like that, but it's my only guess. The plating on the buttons were probably partially worn and they were tossed. The better ones were probably resold, I would think. That's all I can think of But the buttons are getting a lot harder to find there now.

Quote Originally Posted by coinnut View Post
    At least. That's why I think it was a sort of fabric recycling place. I'm not sure when of if they used cotton in paper making or something like that, but it's my only guess. The plating on the buttons were probably partially worn and they were tossed. The better ones were probably resold, I would think. That's all I can think of But the buttons are getting a lot harder to find there now.
    well, after plucking 550 buttons from there.i would think they are getting tougher to find now
    2008-14 coppers
    2009-32 coppers
    2015- 20 1/4 coppers
    2017-19 & 1/2 coppers
    2018-19 coppers 1-GW
    2019-5 coppers

Wow,,That's a lot of buttons!!! Great finds for sure Did you find many coins from that spot??
    I can only please one person per day,,,today is not your day,,,tomorrow isn't looking good either.

2011 silver coins> 18,,,,13 IH,,,,2 V nickels,,,2 Shield nickels
    2010 silver coins >4,,,,the year that wasn't
    2009 silver coins> 77> 49 IHs> 15 V nickels>9 Buffs

Quote Originally Posted by Carver View Post
    Wow,,That's a lot of buttons!!! Great finds for sure Did you find many coins from that spot??
    We pulled a fair amount of coins from there. We were definitely NOT the first ones at this site. I think the previous hunters did not care about buttons and cherry picked the coins. We did manage about 13 coppers from that site. from George II's to later date Large Cents. We had 3 or 4 of these type of lightly hit sites this year and they resulted in about 70% of our good finds. I'll be posting a wrap up of my finds for 2010.

Quote Originally Posted by Carver View Post
    not a many as we had hope for Dan but some good ones though .

well heres my measley take on saturday five buttons and a couple of musket ball . boy it was a cold one in the morning and i don't think my detector appreciated the cool morning air as she was extremely tempermental lol lol ( she didn't want to ground balance more than a few times and the screen was very slugish and parts of it just seemed to freeze up) . i did manage a few buttons and compared some signals with George's e-trac (his machine seemed to enjoy the cold more than mine ) and he was hitting those smaller deeper button targets (8 inches plus) with a more consistant tone than mine and i really couldn't tell if the cold had something to do with that or not. the pictures of the cellar sites are from on file at earlier hunts and not from this time but the finds are .a couple of the buttons are some old English made ones by the Crown on them .

o.k George after the last couple of months of not finding anything spectacular and total finds in general in a decline i'm starting to wonder if you tampered with that coil before you sold it to me lol lol
    Attached Images Attached Images       
    "Honesty is an expensive gift ,
    so don't expect it from cheap people"

XP Deus II , DFX ,TDI sl -

Click here to view my finds album

Great score on all them nice old button thumbsup01 I don't find many flat buttons around here but every now and then I will and a single one can be a prize to me.

Quote Originally Posted by del View Post
    not a many as we had hope for Dan but some good ones though .

well heres my measley take on saturday five buttons and a couple of musket ball . boy it was a cold one in the morning and i don't think my detector appreciated the cool morning air as she was extremely tempermental lol lol ( she didn't want to ground balance more than a few times and the screen was very slugish and parts of it just seemed to freeze up) . i did manage a few buttons and compared some signals with George's e-trac (his machine seemed to enjoy the cold more than mine ) and he was hitting those smaller deeper button targets (8 inches plus) with a more consistant tone than mine and i really couldn't tell if the cold had something to do with that or not. the pictures of the cellar sites are from on file at earlier hunts and not from this time but the finds are .a couple of the buttons are some old English made ones by the Crown on them .

o.k George after the last couple of months of not finding anything spectacular and total finds in general in a decline i'm starting to wonder if you tampered with that coil before you sold it to me lol lol
    i'd take off the coil cover Dan.aluminum foil between the coil and cover will do that! not a bad day Dan.the way you guys pounded that place..i'm suprised you pulled anything!
    2008-14 coppers
    2009-32 coppers
    2015- 20 1/4 coppers
    2017-19 & 1/2 coppers
    2018-19 coppers 1-GW
    2019-5 coppers

Quote Originally Posted by del View Post

Yeah, that does sound a little bit suspicious lol It could also be abuse on your part of bringing that baby out in the cold too 8/ You need to treat her right I think you just have to put more effort in your hunts rofl

Hey guys. Is that the site I went to with you an Dan? If so, it's an awesome area. Hope everyone Had a Great Xmas. Been doing alot of error coin hunting and Found a beautiful 1968d DDR on the lettering. Hey with all those buttons it would be a great time to look them over a little better. Might be a surprise button or 2 worth something, No? Also good time to check out spring construction sites and secure private sites for the nicer weather.
    Talk to ya later, Button Master's( LOL)
    " What doesn't kill you makes you stronger"

Quote Originally Posted by sjv View Post
    Hey guys. Is that the site I went to with you an Dan? If so, it's an awesome area.
    That is the place Sal lol It keeps giving, but it's a lot harder now

Now that's a great spot to hunt!!
    Congrats on all the buttons...over 500...WOW!

Great looking place to hunt Real nice buttons. Its good to know you have a good place to go back to.

Nice looking button thumbsup01 thumbsup01 That property looks like it should have some good finds hiding there
    Today is my day