Thread: Could it be:huh:thinkingabout:?........My First OXKNOB:huh:thinkingabout:

Could it be:huh:thinkingabout:?........My First OXKNOB:huh:thinkingabout:

The wife researched a new place recently and today we went to check it out. It was an old abandoned farm in the woods. A couple of houses and a half dozen barns and sheds. I was pretty psyched to check it out with the new Vaquero that my wife got me for Christmas.

Well, to make a long story short, we spent the better part of an afternoon and coin-wise only came up with one wheatie (a 57) and a little modern clad. I found a quarter and dime that were both 65's :bangahead01:

I hate it when I am ready to find silver and end up with 65's.

Some pics: They were taken with my phone so not as good a quality as what I normally post from my camera.

Here's what made it all worth it. View it and weep, boys.

Tesoro Vaquero, Tesoro Golden Sabre II, Tesoro Cutlass II µMax, Grey Ghost Headphones, Garrett Pro pointer
    Oldest coin, 1732 King George II Halfpenny

Re: Could it be:huh:thinkingabout:?........My First OXKNOB!!!!

I'm not an ox knob expert. If I found that I would think it was part of a pole. I hope its what you want it to be Bill. thumbsup01
    Having fun is what it is all about!

Crap you may be right.
    I was thinking the same thing when I first found it but my wife insisted it was an oxknob.
    I believed her but now that I think about it, she doesn't know anything about oxknobs! 8/

UPDATE:
    The wife just now got around to telling me that she found a large token. It's a Green River Whiskey token and it looks to be the version from the 1890's.

I am done taking pics tonight but it looks just like this one:
    Tesoro Vaquero, Tesoro Golden Sabre II, Tesoro Cutlass II µMax, Grey Ghost Headphones, Garrett Pro pointer

Quote Originally Posted by BillZ View Post
    Crap you may be right.
    I was thinking the same thing when I first found it but my wife insisted it was an oxknob.
    I believed her but now that I think about it, she doesn't know anything about oxknobs! 8/
    LOL I never found an ox knob but the ones I saw were round. Look on the bright side, its a real neat pole tip
    Having fun is what it is all about!

Re: Could it be:huh:thinkingabout:?........My First OXKNOB:huh:thinkingabout:

Nice find thumbsup01 thumbsup01 it looks like it could be brass and should clean up nicely 8)
    Today is my day

I think it might actually be an oxknob!
    It is very similar to one in this pic taken by the king of oxknobs, Heavymetalnut.

Quote Originally Posted by BillZ View Post
    I think it might actually be an oxknob!
    It is very similar to one in this pic taken by the king of oxknobs, Heavymetalnut.

that thing must of rang out loud and clear ,huh.. congrats on it and the wife's token

yes if HEAVYMETALNUT Supreme Ruler and King of the Oxknob has dug it then it must be so lol rofl i'm sure the King will be by to give it his royal blessing

"Honesty is an expensive gift ,
    so don't expect it from cheap people"

XP Deus II , DFX ,TDI sl -

Click here to view my finds album

Congrats on the nice recoverys,kudo's on the token thumbsup01,as the ox knob,I'm thinking more like a working horse harness,but then I've only saw ox knobs like the little ones on the right in the pic,Dave
    Life Is Short,Make everyday Count,Go for the Gold!

Very cool hunt and great finds thumbsup01 I don't know what or never seen and ox nob so I will keep my mouth shut but it does look like a pole top.

At least now i know Oxknobs exist
    I want to believe

That's something I still am looking to find

So that's what those are Cool find
    I can only please one person per day,,,today is not your day,,,tomorrow isn't looking good either.

2011 silver coins> 18,,,,13 IH,,,,2 V nickels,,,2 Shield nickels
    2010 silver coins >4,,,,the year that wasn't
    2009 silver coins> 77> 49 IHs> 15 V nickels>9 Buffs

A good find but not an ox knob. It is the end of a padded horse/mule collar which I think it is called a hanes. I've seen they hanging in old barns where the farmers stored them when they bought a tractor after retiring the horses. They make great heads for homemade walking sticks.

After Tana was talking about the Ox-knobs I googled it and it sure looks like you found one, cool find there

Quote Originally Posted by Spiderwort View Post
    A good find but not an ox knob. It is the end of a padded horse/mule collar which I think it is called a hanes. I've seen they hanging in old barns where the farmers stored them when they bought a tractor after retiring the horses. They make great heads for homemade walking sticks.
    I think you are right! Here's one that is similar.
    Attached Images Attached Images   
    Finding relics is in my blood

GPX 5000, CTX 3030, E Trac, Vista Gold

the brass part to a horse hane is considerably larger than that one Dave is holding and they always have atleast two holes in them for screws or nails to go into the wooden part of the harness , oxknobs however only have one hole for either a nail , or set screw.

here's a picture of a brass horse hane i recovered to compare
    Attached Images Attached Images   
    "Honesty is an expensive gift ,
    so don't expect it from cheap people"

XP Deus II , DFX ,TDI sl -

Click here to view my finds album

Veteran Member

whatever it is . its old and really cool
    im an american proud and free, a son of the south dont tread on me

sweet hunt and nice finds WTG on the super dig
    Loving my God, Being a husband and father, Detecting every chance I get!