Thread: Secret pond technique

Secret pond technique

I had been hunting a small civil war camp. It was centered around a stagnant pond. One year we had a REALLY dry summer and i thought about that pond.....long story short,the pond dried up and opened a new area to hunt and I found my first US buckle in the muck. The lakes and rivers on a particularly dry year may open up new areas to hunt. Just food for thought

Re: Secret pond technique

Yup - been there/done that - definately something to be on the lookout for - virgin territory!

That is a great tip! My buddy and I were detecting down in N. Nevada and came across a old watering hole that had pretty much dried up. We spent a full day there and did great. 8)
    I live my life one target at a time
    since '68

Veteran Member

yep i got a couple of century days last year from hunting low lake volume camping areas. found a few rings ..good advice evan !!!!
    im an american proud and free, a son of the south dont tread on me

Very good idea Evan.... thumbsup01 thumbsup01 thumbsup01 There are lots of lakes around these parts... thumbsup01 thumbsup01 Thanks for sharing and HH..
    *** You just never know what will turn up next, or from where ***

Veteran Member

Low water = Fun thumbsup01 thumbsup01 thumbsup01 Great Tip and Good advise Evan
    V3i DFX 10 DD 6x10 DD 4x6 DD DX-1

Them dried up spots could be a great spot for sure, I haven't had the opportunity for one of those in quite a while, there is a lake they had drained the next county over last summer but when my brother and I drove by he didn't seem interested at all, I should have went back. :bangahead01:

Good thing to keep and eye out for, Evan. Good idea.

Great tip Evan. thumbsup01

Come next October when the river and lake levels are low... I'm going to give it a shot.

Glad to hear that your hunch paid off big for you.

good tip Evan, following the swim line as lakes go down can produce so nice jewelry too
    Sacramento California
    V3i DFX MXT
    Excalibur II

Good stuff Evan,,,they drained a lake close to here about 10 years ago,,,,guys found a bunch of money and jewelry
    I can only please one person per day,,,today is not your day,,,tomorrow isn't looking good either.

2011 silver coins> 18,,,,13 IH,,,,2 V nickels,,,2 Shield nickels
    2010 silver coins >4,,,,the year that wasn't
    2009 silver coins> 77> 49 IHs> 15 V nickels>9 Buffs

Excellent advice Evan. The only pond in town here, in a city park, was drawn down one year to install a dock & such. My friend & I started doing the edge and after working around finding some coins we hit upon a spot about 8 ft square that produced almost 1400 coins, all recent. We figured someone may have had a bag of coins & bills and dumped them after a robbery of some kind.
    We got a shovel & screen and sifted them all. Steve in so az
    Fisher 1266X - Lesche digger
    Headband