Thread: Civil War in SW. KY.

Civil War in SW. KY.

Hidy to all and wish all well. I went to Moscow KY. in Nov. of 2009 , To what was called Camp Desha, a Confederate Camp. I believe I found a look out post there. This is what I come up with,, an assortment of bullets,, flat buttons,, three of what they call bullet or ball buttons one has AST on the back,, coin of some kind,, cracker jack token made of pewter with Willard Fillmore 13th president dont know its time date,, and other stuff not shown. Hope yall enjoy and thanks for looking.
    Attached Images Attached Images       
    Civil War Nut
    V3, V3i, 4" 6" 8" (3) 10" 12" DD super coils

Re: Civil War in SW. KY.

Hey Civil War Nut , Great finds It's so nice to hit fresh territories and find such history. I just come back from our monthly local detector club meeting and I have to ask you about one of your items. In the first picture, what is the shield (triangle) looking object in the far bottom right side of the picture. Some guy at the meeting found one exactly like that. Do you know what it is? Del had some ideas, but I gotta hear yours first in case he's wrong lol.
    Finding relics is in my blood

GPX 5000, CTX 3030, E Trac, Vista Gold

Veteran Member

Very nice finds! Hope to see more.

great items CWN some really nice relics , very nice buttons and coins .

Quote Originally Posted by coinnut View Post
    I just come back from our monthly local detector club meeting and I have to ask you about one of your items. In the first picture, what is the shield (triangle) looking object in the far bottom right side of the picture. Some guy at the meeting found one exactly like that. Do you know what it is? Del had some ideas, but I gotta hear yours first in case he's wrong lol.

wow good eye George , that one is exactly like the one Ray had at the meeting .
    "Honesty is an expensive gift ,
    so don't expect it from cheap people"

XP Deus II , DFX ,TDI sl -

Click here to view my finds album

Quote Originally Posted by coinnut View Post
    Hey Civil War Nut , Great finds It's so nice to hit fresh territories and find such history. I just come back from our monthly local detector club meeting and I have to ask you about one of your items. In the first picture, what is the shield (triangle) looking object in the far bottom right side of the picture. Some guy at the meeting found one exactly like that. Do you know what it is? Del had some ideas, but I gotta hear yours first in case he's wrong lol.
    Hidy Cnut. This makes the 2nd. one I have found at Civil War sites , and dont know for sure what it is. The other one I found dont have the eye on it. I have seen pic. of sadles from 1870s & 1880s havent got a good pic. of one from 1850s & 60s. They had something that looked like it the best I could see on the sadle, the eye a long pice of leather went through it. I would like to know also. So let me know what you thank. I have seen them just like it somewhere in my books but havent been able to find it agin.
    Civil War Nut

hey CWN the one we were looking at had a beveled edge on the other side with a rounded notch at the top of the shield just opposite of the eyelette side and had 3 small square nails holes . could you get a good closeup of the other side .
    "Honesty is an expensive gift ,
    so don't expect it from cheap people"

XP Deus II , DFX ,TDI sl -

Click here to view my finds album

Quote Originally Posted by del View Post
    hey CWN the one we were looking at had a beveled edge on the other side with a rounded notch at the top of the shield just opposite of the eyelette side and had 3 small square nails holes . could you get a good closeup of the other side .
    Yep. I will dig I back out & clean it up some more & put the pic. on for ya.
    Civil War Nut

Quote Originally Posted by del View Post
    Here it is Cnut. Hope I am alouded to do this if not I sorry.
    Attached Images Attached Images     
    Civil War Nut

Excellent bunch of relics CWN thumbsup01

Nice hunt you had there Love all those bullets and buttons! I'm sure coinnut and del will help identify that mystery item How about that 'coin of some kind'? Did you soak it, figure it out yet? I have a feeling you are more of a relic hunter than a coinshooter lol I have a few hunting buddies who could care less about coins, just into the relics...
    Oldest silver-- 1838o seated dime (no stars)
    Oldest copper-- 1820 LC

White's V3i, Coinmaster, XLT, Prism IV, Whites new TRX PP- Love it!!! Garretts PP

Quote Originally Posted by tanacat View Post
    Nice hunt you had there Love all those bullets and buttons! I'm sure coinnut and del will help identify that mystery item How about that 'coin of some kind'? Did you soak it, figure it out yet? I have a feeling you are more of a relic hunter than a coinshooter lol I have a few hunting buddies who could care less about coins, just into the relics...
    Yep Civil War is my main thing, Love IT.
    Civil War Nut

Quote Originally Posted by Civil War Nut View Post
    Yep Civil War is my main thing, Love IT.
    I find it very fascinating and look forward to seeing more things you find or have found. I've been reading a few books on Civil War lately. All I've found myself is a US civil war bridle boss bit and a bullet.

I've been hunting with Dave Edwards lately- I bet you've heard of him in Lost Treasures or Relic Hunter? He's been very successful this past year at a KY battlefield and has many articles on his finds. He brought a big box of finds to our local meeting last week. Dave and I went down in James Lane Allen's cellar yesterday to no avail, what we thought would be dirt floor wasn't- 50 yrs or so ago someone poured cement down there! :bangahead01: Wouldn't they know people would be looking for relics one day??

Anyway, it was fun and adventurous, considering it was 20 degrees outside! lol

Thanks for listening and welcome to the forum!
    Oldest silver-- 1838o seated dime (no stars)
    Oldest copper-- 1820 LC

White's V3i, Coinmaster, XLT, Prism IV, Whites new TRX PP- Love it!!! Garretts PP

Nice looking batch o relics CWN
    I don't know what the mystery item is