Thread: King George III Colonial Copper

King George III Colonial Copper

I finally was able to get some detecting in this morning. I have my in-laws visiting from Florida, so I had to stay local. I hit a spot that has produced a lot of silver, and my goal today was to dig some Merc's or Silver Rosies.

My first decent signal was a bouncy penny signal, with a VDI on my V3 bouncing from the 60's to the 70's, at a depth about 4 3/4. I was hopeful that I was starting out with a Wheat Cent, but when I pinpointed the dirt pile I saw the large copper disk and said to myself, this can't be!. Out popped George! I just stared for about 10 seconds saying to myself over and over this can't be!

Unfortunately I cannot get a date, but it looks like it may end in a 7, so possibly 1777. The spot was once farmland, but I cannot date the site earlier than the 1840's. The fertilizer did a number on this one, and what you see in my hand is the best it is going to get after cleaning.

My previous oldest coin at the site was an 1877 Seated quarter, and that was my only nineteenth century coin at the site until this morning. I dug some civil war era buttons, and one early flat buttons in the past, but colonial copper was the furthest thing from my mind!!

After that it was 3.5 hours of nothing but modern trash and coinage, but what a beautiful morning to be out!
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Veteran Member

Re: King George III Colonial Copper

Nice. Its got alot better detail than most of the ones I've found.
    Oldest: 1755 Spanish silver; 1800 half dime | 1842 seated half | 1857 seated quarter | 516 silver coins in 2011!

WTG on the great find! I couldnt imagine beating my oldest coin by 100 years! thumbsup01 I would have find something just as old as your copper because my oldest is an 1877cc seated dime.

Love that feeling when you see the large green disc...... congrats~
    And now the metal detectorist pledge.
    "I pledge to do my honor, to do my best AND seriously investigate ALL deep signals!"

Minelab SE (Is there really any other manufacturer?) 2011 totals = 24 silver coins, 3 LC,1 war of 1812 artillary button , 1 token, 6 IH pennies, 1 2 cent piece

Nice Georgie copper Neil I have a few but have never found any. Congrats. thumbsup01
    E-Trac, Excalibur 1000, Garrett Infinium.

I like it! Some good details remain. Very nice find.

Sweet dig for sure! Congrats.
    Minelab E-Trac - Minelab Sovereign GT - Bounty Hunter Tracker IV - Tesoro Compadre
    Oldest find - 1804 Draped Bust Half Cent

great looking coin Neil , very well could be a counterfiet coin . congrats
    "Honesty is an expensive gift ,
    so don't expect it from cheap people"

XP Deus II , DFX ,TDI sl -

Click here to view my finds album

You guys and your old coins are really driving me nuts! Great dig!
    [move]White’s MXT Minelab E-Trac Oldest coin: 1875 Indian Head Cent Oldest Silver Coin: 1886 Seated Liberty Dime[/move]

Very nice. Those old copper are great.
    MXT, Explorer SE Pro

Quote Originally Posted by MNDigger View Post
    WTG on the great find! I couldnt imagine beating my oldest coin by 100 years! thumbsup01 I would have find something just as old as your copper because my oldest is an 1877cc seated dime.
    MN: Not to make you jealous, but I found one coin 70 years older than this one, back in May of '08. That one was dated 1699!

Quote Originally Posted by del View Post
    Del, 99.9% of all the colonial coppers found here in the US are, in fact, counterfeit. There was such a shortage of coins in the 18th century that entrepreneurs took to making their own. For more info on these coins, click on the link. http://www.coins.nd.edu/ColCoin/ColC...rit.intro.html

Quote Originally Posted by OkieDigger View Post
    You guys and your old coins are really driving me nuts!
    No, I'm pretty sure you were nuts before you ever met any of us lol But thanks for the compliments. All the boys across the pond are laughing at us. You call that old, they say Old to them is probably 1st century. Come on down and have some fun with us at some old cellar holes or fields. You may get a copper or two. Tell the wife you guys are going on a little road trip, just don't tell her where and why
    Finding relics is in my blood

GPX 5000, CTX 3030, E Trac, Vista Gold

Quote Originally Posted by del View Post
    Nice coin Neil. We get quite a bit of counterfeits here. Most of the time we can tell by the dates or by the numbers on the DFX as to whether it's real or not. Great little surprise and not in too shabby condition. I'd be happy!!

Very nice coin, counterfeit or not, and in decent condition!
    Minelab E-Trac/Sun Ray X-1 -- Minelab Sovereign GT/Sun Ray S-1 -- White's v3i/Sun Ray DX-1
    Fisher CZ3D -- Tesoro Tiger Shark -- Garrett ACE 250

Quote Originally Posted by Epi-hunter View Post
    Very nice coin, counterfeit or not, and in decent condition!
    Usually something counterfeit is a bad thing, but not in this case. The real George III's are just about worthless, (well not really but pretty close lol) but the counterfiets are very collectable thumbsup01

Quote Originally Posted by coinnut View Post
    Nice coin Neil. We get quite a bit of counterfeits here. Most of the time we can tell by the dates or by the numbers on the DFX as to whether it's real or not. Great little surprise and not in too shabby condition. I'd be happy!!

Usually something counterfeit is a bad thing, but not in this case. The real George III's are just about worthless, (well not really but pretty close lol) but the counterfiets are very collectable thumbsup01
    No doubt that a Regal Copper would have hit pretty solid in the 80's. This thinny came in much lower as you can see. I am no expert in the varieties of the KG Counterfeits, but this one is similar to one I found in October of '08. That one was known as Young George if I remember correctly.

No, I'm pretty sure you were nuts before you ever met any of us lol But thanks for the compliments. All the boys across the pond are laughing at us. You call that old, they say Old to them is probably 1st century. Come on down and have some fun with us at some old cellar holes or fields. You may get a copper or two. Tell the wife you guys are going on a little road trip, just don't tell her where and why
    I am certifiable! One of these days I'll make it out that way. Would love to hunt some cellar holes.
    [move]White’s MXT Minelab E-Trac Oldest coin: 1875 Indian Head Cent Oldest Silver Coin: 1886 Seated Liberty Dime[/move]