Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Silver November Weekend

Silver November Weekend

Saturday

Saturday was a blustery day, with wind gust reaching 28 mph or more. It still wasn't all that cold though, so I grabbed my E-Trac, made sure my battery was fully charged, and headed to the park. The park was deserted when I arrived, the strong wind apparently discouraging the locals from venturing out to take their regular walks. I didn't waste much time and began to detect.

The site is quite trashy and iron presents a challenge as well, especially at an area near the fence circling the park. But the E-Trac still sniffed out three silver coins for me.

My first good target, a 1923 mercury dime.

Toward late afternoon the temperature was dropping a bit too much for my taste. The strong wind wasn't helping much either. I left after digging up my last two silver coins, a 1957-D quarter and a 1939 mercury dime.

Sunday

Sunday I returned to the park, arriving at about 11:45 a.m. In the distance I could see someone who appeared to be detecting, but it was hard to tell from where I was standing. I grabbed my machine and began walking toward the same area. Closer now, I could see that there were two individuals detecting. I stopped, turned on my machine, noise canceled, and began detecting while walking in their direction. After about three sweeps I got a very nice signal. I cut a plug and there it was, a large silver ring.

With ring in hand I began walking toward the two individuals. Now I was able to recognize a familiar face. It was Scott (catskillcomics) and Bruce (bmattioli). It was nice to meet up with members of our forum. I showed them my find, chatted for a bit, and then we got busy detecting.

I selected an area not far from where Scott and Bruce were detecting, and about 20 minutes later I had my first silver coin, a very nice 1928 Standing Liberty quarter.

Now I knew I had to work this area carefully. I remained there the rest of the day, and by the time I called it quits I had five more silver coins in my pouch; two Roosevelt dimes, both dated 1952, two Washington quarters, dated 1939 and 1964, and my last find of the day, a 1944 mercury dime, which I picked up a few minutes after Scott left.

Here are two of the coins, the 1964 quarter and 1944 mercury dime, while they were still encased in soil.

My total take, three quarters and three silver dimes.

I also dug up about a dozen wheat cents, with two spills in the mix.

One of the wheat cent spills.

All the wheat cents.

A padlock rounded up the day's finds.

HH!

Re: Silver November Weekend

Sweet digs Angel, as always. Maybe in the spring you guys can head west and we can meet up in the Albany area somewhere.
    Minelab E-Trac - Minelab Sovereign GT - Bounty Hunter Tracker IV - Tesoro Compadre
    Oldest find - 1804 Draped Bust Half Cent

Awesome finds Angel great looking silver.

very nice looking ring Angel and great couple of days worth of silver and wheats my friend.
    "Honesty is an expensive gift ,
    so don't expect it from cheap people"

XP Deus II , DFX ,TDI sl -

Click here to view my finds album

Z118, you from Albany area??? I didn't know that.. Im just 45 minutes south..

Quote Originally Posted by z118 View Post
    Sweet digs Angel, as always. Maybe in the spring you guys can head west and we can meet up in the Albany area somewhere.

Angel, nice finds, and it was great seeing you again.. however, you make it very hard to concentrate on MD'n with you dancing all the time

Quote Originally Posted by catskillcomics View Post
    Angel, nice finds, and it was great seeing you again.. however, you make it very hard to concentrate on MD'n with you dancing all the time

I do try to be subtle about it.

Great finds! That ring is a real honker!

Great digs! Lots of silver out there needing to be found.
    [move]White’s MXT Minelab E-Trac Oldest coin: 1875 Indian Head Cent Oldest Silver Coin: 1886 Seated Liberty Dime[/move]

Quote Originally Posted by catskillcomics View Post
    Z118, you from Albany area??? I didn't know that.. Im just 45 minutes south..
    No, I'm from the Rochester area but I'll drive out to meet you guys sometime if everyone's interested. I just figured Albany was a good spot since it's sort of in the middle and there's got to be some good places to hunt there. I actually thought you were somewhere east of Syracuse but I couldn't remember.

Cool beans Angel, very nice finds indeed. That's a killer ring too!

Nice as always Angel. It was nice to meet up with you and Scott.. Great looking ring and SLQ. Both up close were outsatnding finds. Sorry I couldn't make it back.

Minelab E-Trac
    Whites DFX
    Garrett Pro Pointer

Some great looking hunts Angel! Love that SLQ!

Awesome finds as always. I just did some research and I found out your secret. You have developed a transporter like the one in Star Trek, and you have been sucking all the silver out of the ground in the remaining states. Not fair my friend, not fair at all. J/K Nice going buddy.

Nice hunting as usual. That SLQ is in great shape. Three quarters in one outing is pretty incredible.
    From The Pacific Northwest to Orange County...
    White's XLT, Ace 250 - 2010 YTD $4.28

Nice finds Angel!! Was the silver near iron, just wondering because of the black marks?? Were you guys hunting in NY or MA?? I'd love to hunt with you guys (z118 and Catskillcomics too) someday, I'm just east of Binghamton. Vice versa if you'd like to come down here.
    White's Spectra V3i "update", MXT, Prizm V, and Sun Ray Invader DX-1.
    Coils: stock 950 on MXT; 10" DD, Super 12, 950 Eclipse, and 4x6 DD Eclipse Shooter for the V3.

"The only person who never made a mistake never did anything!!"

Wow looks like you had a bad weekend, Only a million silvers That SLQ is a beauty!!

Quote Originally Posted by xzlr8n View Post
    Nice finds Angel!! Was the silver near iron, just wondering because of the black marks?? Were you guys hunting in NY or MA?? I'd love to hunt with you guys (z118 and Catskillcomics too) someday, I'm just east of Binghamton. Vice versa if you'd like to come down here.
    We were in CT. Some areas of that park tend to be wet much of the time. Rainwater collects and puddles there, hence the tarnish on the coins. The area we were working was somewhat trashy, but the iron was mostly concentrated near the fence located on that field.

Yeah, it would be a pleasure to get together sometime. I think it would be fun!

Quote Originally Posted by coinnut View Post
    Wow looks like you had a bad weekend, Only a million silvers That SLQ is a beauty!!

I do like the quarter. She held up well, and has a full date. That alone made my day.

Quote Originally Posted by angellionel View Post

Yeah, it would be a pleasure to get together sometime. I think it would be fun!
    Awesome... we should meet around Albany, because I still think it's roughly in the middle. We can have a contest. Angel on one team. Catskill, Bruce, xzlr8n, and me on the other. See which team pulls more silver. Oh wait... I already know the answer...

Quote Originally Posted by z118 View Post
    Awesome... we should meet around Albany, because I still think it's roughly in the middle. We can have a contest. Angel on one team. Catskill, Bruce, xzlr8n, and me on the other. See which team pulls more silver. Oh wait... I already know the answer...

That's just brutal Z!