Thread: My Road Being Resurfaced, Worth Trying To Hunt?

My Road Being Resurfaced, Worth Trying To Hunt?

I found that the whole asphalt is currently chewed up and the foundation is showing. Is that an opportunity I should try to jump on, or is it unlikely that I'll do more than get in someone's way? I probably don't have tons of time, but the road bed here on my country lane is presently naked. Thanks. martin

Re: My Road Being Resurfaced, Worth Trying To Hunt?

Any history to the road. If so go before it's to late

I asked the grader operator. He actually stopped me and asked about my detector, so it's friendly here. This road should have some history, but mostly from an old farming community. So far I've found square pop tops, but the road is pretty vacant. Funny thing also happened. S big dooly truck stopped and asked if the grader had hit something. I just told him I was looking what was under the asphalt. He smiled and took off.

Martin

I've had VERY good luck with road construction - I'd be in like 90! after the guys went home ---------->

I have been jumping in-between the grader and the roller when both are outta sight. Ain't found coins except for 4 pennies close to the sides, and two in my yard, which I thought I had milked dry already. Nothing in the heaps of dirt but pop tops. The way these guys are working, I may have to migrate down south because I can see rebar soon to be laid in front of my house by daybreak. They are hustling! I will do some uninterrupted hunting though if there's still daylight left after the crew leaves for the day. Honestly, I don't have lots of faith that anything is in the roadbed, but if it is, I'll maybe find it. The ground surface is easy for swinging, yet I have not gotten the system down for doing the v-shaped loose diet furrows. martin

The heaps of dirt is where I've found many silvers & coppers!!! Most of my digging on construction sites were at nite...in the pouring rain, stuck in mud - covered head/hair to foot in mud - but man what a riot!!! I'd do it again in a heartbeat!!! The most fun I ever had metal detecting!!

Listen for those faint sweet signals!!!

You have to check it out...
    Today is my day

Yup,,,,I would hunt that in a heart beat,,,,might be a bust,, could be GREAT <: <: <: <: <: <: <:
    I can only please one person per day,,,today is not your day,,,tomorrow isn't looking good either.

2011 silver coins> 18,,,,13 IH,,,,2 V nickels,,,2 Shield nickels
    2010 silver coins >4,,,,the year that wasn't
    2009 silver coins> 77> 49 IHs> 15 V nickels>9 Buffs

I would check it out. It only takes one good find to reward you for the hunt. If you don't do it, you will always wonder what could have been lol Besides, it will be a long time before this offer gets repeated again.
    Finding relics is in my blood

GPX 5000, CTX 3030, E Trac, Vista Gold

Veteran Member

it depends on the way the road surface was packed before being laid with asphalt,, could be hard as my wifes head
    im an american proud and free, a son of the south dont tread on me

Veteran Member

Quote Originally Posted by Judy View Post
    The heaps of dirt is where I've found many silvers & coppers!!! Most of my digging on construction sites were at nite...in the pouring rain, stuck in mud - covered head/hair to foot in mud - but man what a riot!!! I'd do it again in a heartbeat!!! The most fun I ever had metal detecting!!

Listen for those faint sweet signals!!!
    Awesome Judy !!
    V3i DFX 10 DD 6x10 DD 4x6 DD DX-1

Quote Originally Posted by russellt View Post
    it depends on the way the road surface was packed before being laid with asphalt,, could be hard as my wifes head
    I woke up thinking about one target I passed on. It was a big target, at least 16 long, showing to be 2 inches down. I went on to dig the shallow stuff instead. My road might have easily just been part of a rolling hill of farmland back when this area was developed, so since some of the folklore of bandits being in this area, plus with a fork of the Trinity river on my back property...it ain't out of the question that a satchel or box of loot could have been sitting there, RIGHT in from of my own house. I wish I had grabbed my shovel early on and quickly dug that sucker. It is still just packed dirt there now, neatly done though, so I am hesitant to be molesting it now. It makes you think though. martin

I'd dig it. Sometimes a chance will be given only one time in life. 8/

Well I am a little embarrassed to say that the excitement here with my road is over. It partly came to my mind in the middle of the night, and was also helped buy a comment, that this road is fairly useless to hunt. The machine goes down 6 chewing all this asphalt which certainly gets to the surface below. That surface is indeed white rock for the road base. I'd be luckier finding a loose coin in a prison cell. Bet those workers were getting a chuckle or two. I did find one coin like target, smaller than a dime, and I thought maybe....At least I got outside and met some new people! Oh, the coin was a washer, but it was in the middle of this mulched road.

Live and learn

Yes, live and learn, Martin. But what if you hadn't done this? Won't you be bothered by thinking all the time what was missed right under the new asphalt??

Good Luck on your next hunt.

Most definitely hunt it if they have removed the old road cause that road was probably dirt at one time.

If they ever resurface old nashville hwy. i'll be all over it.