Page 7 of 11 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast

Thread: White's Spectra Vision (V3)

Re: White's Spectra V3 Vision

Tried out my V3 with the 950 concentric at the same farm site I've mentioned before and I'm still getting a lot of +95, -94 iron hits w/ Jack's correlate program. I guess I'll have to make some adjustments to combat the iron responses?? Interestingly, I ground balanced and ground probed an area that I did for the D2 and was able to get a recommended RX gain of 11-12 vs. 5-6 for the D2. I'm finding in my very short experience that the D2 coil might not be good in my area. Whites has yet to get back with me on why these two different coils can have such a wide discrepancy in Best RX Gains!!!
    White's Spectra V3i "update", MXT, Prizm V, and Sun Ray Invader DX-1.
    Coils: stock 950 on MXT; 10" DD, Super 12, 950 Eclipse, and 4x6 DD Eclipse Shooter for the V3.

"The only person who never made a mistake never did anything!!"

I am Happy to announce the noise issue is not only under control but the D2 coil is performing better than ever. Adjusting the frequency offset really did the trick. Thanks for the tip Scott! I ran across a post by a White's employee which gave a tip on how to adjust this setting quickly and effectively using the Live Control Bar and the pinpoint mode. Here is how it works.

1.Go to the Advanced Menu and choose Configure - Live Controls - Expand
    Note: This first step will stick if you save your program again.

2. Hold the coil up in the air at waste level.

3. Now go to your live search screen and squeeze the pinpoint trigger. Don't let go of this until the last step.

4. With the trigger squeezed, arrow over to Transmit Frequency and hit the up arrow.

5. Choose the Offset and use the up and down arrows to select from -5 to +5.

6. You will hear the V3 get noisier and quieter with the changing settings. Choose the quietest sounding setting.

7. Let go of the pinpoint trigger.

You now have adjusted your detector to deal with noise in your hunting area.

I went from an RX Gain of setting of 3 all the way up to 6 in my EMI infested coin garden in my yard. With the Discrimination sensitivity set to 92 I was hitting a wheat at 8 inches with the D2 very easily. I am going to bury a deeper coin out in the garden when the ground thaws out. This procedure sounds hard but once you do it a couple of times it will get easier. Can't wait to get to my coin garden in the park. That's where the deep coins are buried. If only the Snow would melt. :bangahead01: and YES! I shovel my coin garden along with the sidewalk and driveway when it snows. lol

Keep Swing'in
    Jack
    "Knowledge counts but common sense matters." ~ LouAnne Johnson

Minelab E-Trac - Whites Vision/V3 - JeTco GTX Huntmaster - Whites Bullseye TRX - Garrett Pro-Pointer

If the emi (external noise) is not to bad using the 5Hz bandpass filter will help out on cutting down on some of the noise as this has worked for me in a few places. The High pass filters will allow more of the emi signals/noise to effect effect the audio while the bandpass filters will help stop some of the emi noise/signals So this may be worth a try in those types of areas with emi noise.

And then as pointed out earlier in a post, changing to a single frequency and then using the frequency offset will help some.

rcsnake

Hello rcsnake!

Very happy you stumbled onto the forum. Boy do I have questions for you. Please tell us about dumping the battery while the detector is on. Does this do anything special in terms of reseting the V3. On several post I have read it was implied that this did have a use on the DFX. Thanks for the great information as always. Welcome to American Detectorist.

Jack

Minelab E-Trac - Whites Vision/V3 - JeTco GTX Huntmaster - Whites Bullseye TRX - Garrett Pro-Pointer

Jack,

Was wondering about the Configure to Transmit Frequency setup you outlined. Can you get to this application thru Live Controls, Sensitivity, tab down to Frequency Offset. I'm just a little lost, is your steps a better path to changing this?? What does Configure do on the V3, does it allow you hear the changes as you make them??

What a great thread this is. I have learned a lot even before I've done any serious detecting with this machine. Thanks for everyone's thoughts here!!

Scott
    Coils: stock 950 on MXT; 10" DD, Super 12, 950 Eclipse, and 4x6 DD Eclipse Shooter for the V3.

After posting this I read it again and it does seem very confusing. I am going to shoot a video of the procedure this weekend and post it. Sorry about the confusion. It works very well in noisy areas though. Bare with me and I will try to get this explained better.

Keep Swing'in
    Jack

Quote Originally Posted by CyberSage View Post
    Hello rcsnake!

Very happy you stumbled onto the forum. Boy do I have questions for you. Please tell us about dumping the battery while the detector is on. Does this do anything special in terms of reseting the V3. On several post I have read it was implied that this did have a use on the DFX. Thanks for the great information as always. Welcome to American Detectorist.

Jack

Pulling the battery out while the detector is on will do the obvious and turn the detector off. However, changes made to a program that has not been saved through the expert menu or by turning the detector off with the keypad will be lost if the battery is pulled out when the instrument is on.

The program saved can be thought of as three programs

1. Changes made on the fly while hunting will be saved when turned off with the keypad. This save is not the same as going into the Expert Menu and saving.

2. Saving a program when saving through the Expert Menu/Program/name of program. Can be different from the current loaded program. Hence the triangle and check marks to alert the user to the programs them being different or the same.

3. Programs saved in the library can be different from the two above and still retain the same name. However Factory programs can not be overwritten in the library as they are the defaults.

As far as resetting the machine it basically just turns its off or unfreezes the detector if frozen up and then starts up new when turned on, so if you consider this a reset then it resets if not then it doesn't reset and just starts back up.

OK, I rambled enough and probably made no sense so I will stop for now. HH

rcsnake

I think this answered my question. Thank you for the clarification. I am now wondering what happened to change my D2 noise issue initially though? I guess at this point it does not matter, but its good to know about the effect of this procedure. Thanks again rcsnake!

Jack

Thanks for the post, Bob!!!

You're one of my heroes. We all appreciate your advice and knowledge. You're already in The Book of Jack, but I'm sure there's many more chapters ahead.
    I've traveled a long way, and many of the roads weren't paved.

OK, here is a little video on using the live controls and pinpoint mode to choose your frequency offset value. Hope this makes a little more sense than my previous post.

V3a.wmv

Give it a try. It may help you out. This is something that should be done at each hunt location where you have noise issues as the range and type of interference varies from place to place.

Keep Swing'in
    Jack

that was a great little video Jack , very informative and perfect how too do it . thumbsup01
    "Honesty is an expensive gift ,
    so don't expect it from cheap people"

XP Deus II , DFX ,TDI sl -

Click here to view my finds album

Wow, super video Jack. It just shows me how much that machine has hidded in all them controls. I bet in a year or two a complete book will be out to explain many of those features. It is definitely a capable machine. thumbsup01 I bet that helps some V3'ers a lot.
    Finding relics is in my blood

GPX 5000, CTX 3030, E Trac, Vista Gold

Jack...That video was better than Avatar, and I saw IT on IMAX!!!

Terrific job.

You ARE the man!!!!
    I've traveled a long way, and many of the roads weren't paved.

Jack,

That was a great video, answered a lot of ??'s for me. That looks to be very useful info for any V3 owner!!! White's ought to give a $100 coupon for that, that is better than a lot of their customer treasure stories!!! Put on YouTube

Scott

I shot another little video today with a new hands free camera. I was trying to show my swing speed when I hunt. I posted this in the metal detecting gear area of the forum as I was mainly testing out the glasses...

http://www.americandetectorist.com/f...hp?topic=811.0

Jack

As soon as I resize some photos I will post them.Ok, I went to the site I posted yesterday......There is alot, and when I say alot I mean alot of trash........Anyway, I ran almost exclusively in relic....I really had to work hard for what I got. Plenty of age indicators......So there should be a coin there some where....I have adjusted my audio so that targets hit as high tones and trash low, turned the recovery delay down ( for a quicker recovery ) This machine works different then The xlt, or the dfx....When you turn up the delay on this machine, it literally delays the recovery, where as on the xlt & dfx it speed up the recovery. Set a track off-set of +1, ran in 7.5 and 10 band, Disc. @ 87, all metal @72, auto-trac was on and set @50, bottle cap reject@+2, With hot rock @ +0, I have also changed my screen to resemble the display of an xlt or dfx, However when you pinpoint or analyze you still get the three freg. view. It just allows you to make your decision to dig on the VDI numbers and not by which color bar is responding best. Even though you still get all three colors when pinpointing or analyzing. As soon as I resize some photos I will post them.

Here are some of the things found....I put the NottaHook in a shadow box, the Levi rivet is an early one before they started stamping Levi Strauss & Son on them, the lantern piece is a Scoville Mfg. Co. Queen Anne Burner, What I think is a Cuff Link or Collar Clip......There where lots of square nails also.
    Attached Images Attached Images        

Nice group of finds Leon. Looks like around 1900 and a bit before?? Couldn't find them Navy buttons in Albert's button book, but I didn't look through the whole book. Wondering if they are civilian buttons. Lots of cool finds and I would hope there are some coins to go with them finds. keep us posted on that site.
    Finding relics is in my blood

GPX 5000, CTX 3030, E Trac, Vista Gold

Looks like the V3 will find stuff, congrats Leon!!

Jack,

With regard to your swing speed at your coin garden, how does the 7.5 Hz and even the 10Hz filters effect your coin detection. That swing speed looks agonizingly slow but effective. At times, I have some big yards to cover and might want to do a little quicker sweep speed especially the first time I hit them.

Thanks,
    Scott