Thread: Coil advice

Coil advice

I am looking to buy another coil in a couple months or so. I have a lot of trashy areas near me. Question is. Should I get a 5.3 coil or the 6x10 or some other? I got the D2 coil that came with the unit. I was thinking the 5.3 coil would give me a different perspective than another DD coil.
    White's V3i/Fisher F4/ Garrett Pinpointer Pro/ Lesche Digger

Re: Coil advice

Coils are often a matter of opinion. Since I'm first to reply, here's my $0.02...

The V-rated 6x10 is the best coil White's ever made (IMHO). However, now that the 10D2's bugs seem to be resolved, I doubt that you'd see much difference between the two.

The 5 concentric is certainly a nice coil that has served many well over the years. However, I'm really impressed with the 4x6 DD. I'm not interested in a different perspective, as concentric coils simply don't separate targets as well as similar sized DD's (again IMHO). DD's handle high minerialization better than concentrics too.

(Your results may vary.)
    I've traveled a long way, and many of the roads weren't paved.

I have all the Whites coils for mine and the 6x10 is the smoothest running one I have hands down.
    One find at a time.

Veteran Member

I recommend the 6x10 and the 4x6
    Moderate trash the 6x10
    Lots of trash the 4x6...If You can get both thumbsup01
    V3i DFX 10 DD 6x10 DD 4x6 DD DX-1

I only use 2 different coils on my V3i and they are the D2 & 4x6DD shooter. I also have the Super 12, 6x10 and stock MXT coil, the 6x10 is on the MXT right now which if it gets used is when I go metal detecting with someone who doesn't have a detector. The 4x6 I have isn't V rated but it might as well be cause it passes all the tests and with the D2 I do really good even in the semi-trashy areas but when I know it's gonna be trashy I'll bring along the 4x6 too.

Well, I can only get one at first.. Since the parks around here are foil and screw cap haven's. I will pick up the 4x6 first. Then the 6x10. Thanks for all your replies!
    White's V3i/Fisher F4/ Garrett Pinpointer Pro/ Lesche Digger

I'm with the others on this one. I would highly recommend the 6x10DD.
    Although I've never gotta chance to tryout a 5 or the 4x6
    Some days you get the corn, some days you get the cob
    ​Oldest coin: ​70 B.C. "Harlow Flyer" gold qtr. Stater
    Oldest U.S. coin: 1814 Capped Bust Dime

I have a 5.3 and the depth for a small coil is very good the only thing is it is SMALL lol and I dont have enough patience to use it rofl

yeah swinging the 4x6 coil is like swinging a stick. can't cover much ground in a days time with it thats for sure.
    One find at a time.

That 4X6 is a hot little coil in trash.For more ground coverage the 6X10 is great. The 4X6 might be little and not cover much ground ,but it doesn't need to in a trashy area the separation is more important for finding goodies others with a bigger coil pass over because of hearing to many targets.Both have there place, as do a couple of the excelerator coils like the 6X8 butter fly coil. Good Luck. H.H. Yazoo

Nobody has mentioned ground mineralization. Very low mineralization and you probably should buy a concentric coil. Moderate to high mineralization and you definitely want a DD coil. I happen to live where there is very low mineralization and love the Super 12 coil. The concentrics, if you can use them, also have the advantage of being a little less sensitive to EMI and iron.

I have both. I use my 4x6DD in real trashy tot lots and around swing sets. The 6x10DD is the best all around coil for parks ,yards, and thick woods. However, I use the 10DD for serious relic hunting in corn fields and old homesteads. It seems to have the best depth of the three coils.
    V3i DX-1, D2, 6x10, 4x6, Super-12, 10x14DD