Page 10 of 11 FirstFirst ... 891011 LastLast

Thread: White's Spectra Vision (V3)

Re: White's Spectra V3 Vision

I combined Yazoo's and Jack's program today. Utilized some tones in the iron range instead of zero, and I also added some tone blocks in the 0-49 VDI range. And I obviously added the correlate fequency choice. I think I'm liking it!! I'll have to test drive it some more before I get some positive notes on it. I did pick up a quarter and two pennies with my 4x6 DD, that rang out loud and clear. The junk signals weren't bothersome with the custom tone settings. This was a trashy area and was detecting better than I have with other programs, the coins really jumped out. I'll have to test the D2, to make sure the 4x6 wasn't the difference.

One note when changing the tone settings in the audio setup: once you change a setting you can press and hold enter then push the up or down key to carry that setting for the next VDI setting, on and on until you stop or need to change the audio response #. Some of you guys probably knew this and I had a feeling there was better way to change the audio response instead of individually for 200 VDI #'s. I figured this out after 75 individual changes rofl rofl .
    White's Spectra V3i "update", MXT, Prizm V, and Sun Ray Invader DX-1.
    Coils: stock 950 on MXT; 10" DD, Super 12, 950 Eclipse, and 4x6 DD Eclipse Shooter for the V3.

"The only person who never made a mistake never did anything!!"

Hi all, I see alot of threads on hear about sweep speed and picking the filter for your ground condition and sweep speed. My question is what would be considered a slow, medium or fast sweep speed as far as distance of sweep compared to seconds it takes to complete your sweep. Thank you
    " DIGGIN MICHIGAN"

Global Moderator Fire Fighter 43's Avatar

Congrats on a Nice ring! Dont make excusses for your finds, they are all good finds no matter what the value.
    O by the way Ill take a Leinenkugels Sunset Wheat Its a beer from my home town, Chippewa Falls WI

Minelab Equinox 800, 15”Coiltek, 11” & 6”coils

XP Deus II , 11", 9” & 11x13 coils

Detectors since 1977: Simplex, DEUS, CTX 3030, F75 Ltd, Etrac, Excal II, V3i, DFX, GTI2000, Eagle II, 6000DI, 6DB, AlaskanTR4B, Beachcomber

Thanks Again Yazoo...

Yazoo,

Thanks again for your super program; it really helps with showing me what's there. As someone at my level it's a blessing. I went out today (with your program) and found 34 coins, a set of keys, an older type of key, a live 38 Special round, and my 1st Relic-Type find, a USN Pin.

Roland
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    You can "Never" have too many Hobbies...
    White's Spectra V3i with a Sun Ray DX-1, Spectra V3 (My Wife's), Minelab X-Terra 505, and an ACE 250. Eclipse Shooter DD 4 X 6, Eclipse DD 6 X 10

Cool pin!! Love them relics. Don't like the live round though lol The key is different too. It is great of Yazoo, Jack, John and others for sharing there programs here. Anyone of them could have kept their secrets, but they didn't. Thanks all. thumbsup01
    Finding relics is in my blood

GPX 5000, CTX 3030, E Trac, Vista Gold

That's what its about ain't it,doing a lil sharing and having fun.Happy Hunting Yazoo

Hey T.D. you might wanna try it once for the 18-21 VDI doesnt have all that many tabs in it.Might work better than you thought . Yazoo

Why not?

THX.!

Questions for anyone:

1. When I try to zero my ground probe from the Live Controls in Ground tracking I do not get a stable Phase reading. I am holding the coil in the air all the while I'm doing this. With time it hovers near -70, but tends to fluctuate. Is this normal.

2. I'm having a difficult time figuring out how to get my V3 to show a solid response for a target past 6. In my test spot I have a clad dime and a clad quarter buried at 6-8. No matter what I change, what program I use, I either get no signal, a spotty signal, a wrong VDI reading, fluctuating VDI readings, spectragraph littered with green bars, two different VDI readings depending on what 90 degree angle I come at it, ect... I have changed the filter settings, disc sensitivity, RX gain settings, frequency offset, recovery delay - to no avail. The responses seem so random that I find it hard to key in on signal that tells me I have definite deep good target. I have had the same kinds of responses out on hunts, never able to get a solid reading on a target and blow it off as interference, nearby iron, or plain machine falsing :bangahead01:. I'm afraid I'm missing some deep good targets all the time. Is anyone else experiencing this?? Better yet has anyone figured this problem out or know what to look for on the display?? Do I need to send the darn thing back to White's?? My machine seems to be OK at the 3-4 range - so was my Prizm V

Kind of frustrated!!
    Coils: stock 950 on MXT; 10" DD, Super 12, 950 Eclipse, and 4x6 DD Eclipse Shooter for the V3.

After zeroing your ground probe and lowering your coil to the ground your getting -70? If so, that sounds way off.
    E-Trac, X-1
    Sovereign GT, S-1
    Ace 250

Quote Originally Posted by BHNugget View Post
    After zeroing your ground probe and lowering your coil to the ground your getting -70? If so, that sounds way off.
    BHNugget: When I lower the coil to the ground it goes to -84 to -83. I'm wondering if when you zero the coil in the air (while it is in the air) what should the phase reading be or shouldn't I be worrying about it. Is zeroing the ground probe (coil) a critical maneuver Seems like the the Ground Balancing procedure accomplishes the same thing??

xzlr8n...

Is your depth problem with only one coil? Perhaps the 10D2?

I've had two of those loops go bad and instability and lack of depth are two of the major factors.
    I've traveled a long way, and many of the roads weren't paved.

Veteran Member

Quote Originally Posted by xzlr8n View Post

2. I'm having a difficult time figuring out how to get my V3 to show a solid response for a target past 6. In my test spot I have a clad dime and a clad quarter buried at 6-8. No matter what I change, what program I use, I either get no signal, a spotty signal, a wrong VDI reading, fluctuating VDI readings, spectragraph littered with green bars, two different VDI readings depending on what 90 degree angle I come at it, ect... I have changed the filter settings, disc sensitivity, RX gain settings, frequency offset, recovery delay - to no avail. The responses seem so random that I find it hard to key in on signal that tells me I have definite deep good target. I have had the same kinds of responses out on hunts, never able to get a solid reading on a target and blow it off as interference, nearby iron, or plain machine falsing :bangahead01:. I'm afraid I'm missing some deep good targets all the time. Is anyone else experiencing this??
    Yeah, I experience this. It is sort of disappointing, but here is what I do.

When I get one of these, I look for the following: a) is it below 5 inches? b) is the target small? c) do I get a smattering of high conductive VDI's from 2 different directions directly over where the target pinpoints, even if I get alot of negative VDI's? d) do I get green dominant, or green and red about the same (or, if I think large coppers or IH's are in the area, red can be dominant here).

If all of that is true, I dig it, and there is a decent chance it is a silver, a copper, or a wheatie. I do dig my share of rusty nails this way tho.

I agree with you, I don't have the confidence that it locks onto deep conductive targets well, but I think it sees them well. The above seems to work ok for me, but I'm sure I'm missing stuff as well. The problem is that I can't use the single frequency mode (deep silver), because I rely heavily on the relative strengths of the three frequencies when pinpointing to try to guess if it is a high conductive target.

Hopefully someone smarter and with more experience will chime in on this.
    Oldest: 1755 Spanish silver; 1800 half dime | 1842 seated half | 1857 seated quarter | 516 silver coins in 2011!

Ok to start with, the ground probe # after zeroing does not matter in air as far as I know.The ones in ground are what you are after to tell you what type of ground you might have.This will help in what coil you might use and you tweeks that you use.I Dont think its and exact science but it helps.Now as far as target response first thing I look for is a good tone and getting it to repeat from different angles.Some times you might only wiggle your coil a few inches to get the signal. Then I pay attention to VDI# and the depth to figure if I am digging.I get a lot of square nails but that is because I just have to make sure on those targets past 8 inches or so. When not being able to pick up on your targets I would think that the recovery is off and maybe the filters,could be how fast you move your coil across a target. Best thing to do is when you get a deep target in the field is play with your settings untill you start getting the best signal.The biggest thing I have found for falsing is running to hot, this detectors programs are hot out of the box usualy turning back the disc to 80-84 helps alot the more in tune you get with your detector the higher you might crank it up, normally never past 92. Another thing I have noticed on the forums is a lot of people like the 9.5coil and say it works better in there ground,I figure that is due to the ground phase like ground in the low to upper 80's. Hope this helps. Writing is not my strong point. Good Luck H.H.Yazoo

BHNugget: When I lower the coil to the ground it goes to -84 to -83. I'm wondering if when you zero the coil in the air (while it is in the air) what should the phase reading be or shouldn't I be worrying about it. Is zeroing the ground probe (coil) a critical maneuver Seems like the the Ground Balancing procedure accomplishes the same thing??
    Zeroing the ground probe isnt a critical maneuver for detecting,just for reading the ground.With your coil in the air and with the ground probe in the screen,just hit the menu/tab button until the zero is highlighted.The reading at this point doesnt matter.When you lower your coil to the ground (just make sure its clean) it will be your ground reading.I wont go as far as to say that the -84 to -83 your getting isnt right,but the only reading like that which Ive seen so far is from a user in GA.The ones Ive seen from NY are closer to -93.
    On your test coins....how long have they been in the ground? I noticed the same thing with a silver quarter I buried in my yard.Its been there for about a year and the V would NOT pick it up as a clear signal.If I was detecting and didnt know it was there,I would've passed it by.I honestly believe this is due to disturbing the ground.Even after the year,when I dug the quarter up,I could tell the ground wasnt packed like the natural ground in the rest of the yard.I also had this quarter in the 7-8 range.
    In actual use the V has no problem seeing coins at that depth.Ive also come to believe that with depth,say 8+ the VDI reading will probably higher or lower than that of a shallower coin.Ive dug late 1970s pennies that VDI at +80 (they probably get that deep by falling into a crack in the ground in the summer when the ground cracks up,because I know this park hasnt had any fill put in it) and wheat pennies at 8+ that read in the high +50s to low +70s.The one thing I note about these deep coins is that they will give a repeatable signal using a wiggle with the coil.I use the loctrac exclusively trying to employ the ground balance offset to get a perfect balance.If youve never seen this done,watch the GMT video on the Whites website sometime.I think its the way to go with ground balancing the V.
    E-Trac, X-1
    Sovereign GT, S-1
    Ace 250

Thanks everyone. I'll tweak some more and let you know if things get better for me.

BHNugget: I'll probe my ground a little bit more and see if that -93 range comes up. I too have had memorials come up into the 80's and a lot of the wheats and IH's IO've found so far this year have been in the 50-60's with a blip into the 70's (this clues me in that it is a wheat or IH when I got that 70 blip). Also these Wheats and IH's are more than likely red dominant in pin pointing.

Yazoo: Thanks for the tips. I just might be cranked up too high with the Disc Sens.

Lowjiber: I primarily have been using the 9.5 Concentric coil. I wonder if there is an epoxy problem with all White's V- Rated coils like Carl hinted at

Randy: Glad too hear (or should I be bummed) that you too are experiencing some of the same troubles. I think we are all White's guinnea pigs right now. Maybe the upgrade for the V3i addresses some of these issues we are experiencing?? A lot of the steps you go through to determine if there is a good deep target are the same ones I go through too. Before I dig the target up I make a guess of what it is and hope for the best. Sometimes treasure, sometimes junk, and sometimes its a deep (10+ inches) trash target (copper scrap, tin can, or a big piece of lead).

Lowjiber: I primarily have been using the 9.5 Concentric coil. I wonder if there is an epoxy problem with all White's V- Rated coils like Carl hinted at
    There likely is a real problem with the epoxy, as Carl is a straight shooter...everytime.

However, I have a V-rated 6x9DD that I beat the heck out of hunting in the desert. It's like a Timex...keeps on ticking. I also have a V-rated 4x6DD, but don't beat it up too much. It too keeps on ticking.

I think the overall frame design (open) of the 10D2, combined with its relative thin structure, may be causing just enough flex to add to a (perhaps) weak epoxy problem.
    I've traveled a long way, and many of the roads weren't paved.

I to am a V3 user and am happy to see this webb site, so far every thing I'v read has sure helped me in my knowledge of this great machine. The only problem I have is the new grade to the V31, it sounds or looks like it will be a great add on, any comments on this would realy help me in my decision to have this done, thanks

Howdy Jack!
    I'm gonna give your correlate program a go when I get a chance to try it out.
    That ain't likely to be soon if it keeps on raining around these parts!!! Nuts to
    the constant rain. I thought we were supposed to be a semi-arid state! Where's
    the arid already?

Anyhow, got me an invite to ride by horseback into the back country on some
    private land to hunt for nuggets. Never really got the chance to try the prospecting
    mode on the V3i, so any tips would be appreciated.

Blessings,
    M-Taliesin
    Quarters = 123
    Nickels = 60
    Dimes = 104
    Pennies = 246
    Half Dollars =
    Dollar Coins = 3
    Total Coins = 535
    Gold Sale 2/5/13 = $25.50
    YTD = $73.21

Its Going to be a Shpadoinkle Day!

Gunning for Gold!

Howdy M-Taliesin!

I will try and get some details posted on the latest revision today. All this rain is for the birds! I went out for a hunt yesterday anyway. I got soaked to the bone. Still had fun. You don't see to many post on nugget shooting with the V3. I would like to hear some feedback on this as well. Plenty of placer possible areas in our country here on the front range. Anyone ever nugget shoot with their V3? Looking forward to going on a hunt with you. Talk to you soon.

Jack
    "Knowledge counts but common sense matters." ~ LouAnne Johnson

Minelab E-Trac - Whites Vision/V3 - JeTco GTX Huntmaster - Whites Bullseye TRX - Garrett Pro-Pointer