Page 4 of 11 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: White's Spectra Vision (V3)

Re: White's Spectra V3 Vision

Well it just did it again, while I was just sitting here looking at the forum , nothing else electronic wise. I turned it off with the button this time, but I noticed the screen flickered once while being off. I'm leaving the battery out for now .
    White's Spectra V3i "update", MXT, Prizm V, and Sun Ray Invader DX-1.
    Coils: stock 950 on MXT; 10" DD, Super 12, 950 Eclipse, and 4x6 DD Eclipse Shooter for the V3.

"The only person who never made a mistake never did anything!!"

Quote Originally Posted by xzlr8n View Post
    Well it just did it again and while I was just sitting here looking at the forum . I turned it off with the button this time, but I noticed the screen flickered once while being off. I'm leaving the battery out for now .
    that is strange to say the least , the question is how is Jack at performing exorcisms on a V3 lol lol
    "Honesty is an expensive gift ,
    so don't expect it from cheap people"

XP Deus II , DFX ,TDI sl -

Click here to view my finds album

Quote Originally Posted by pgwillin View Post
    Hey guys I just ordered the SEF 10x12 and they make a specific coil for Whites that is V3 compatible. They actually carry 5 different SEF 10x12 coils for different manufacturers.
    I am assuming that the they you are referring to is KellyCo. KellyCo is the dealer for the SEF coil. They advertise that it is for the V3, however I think you will find this coil is still not properly nulled for the 22.5 kHz frequency. I still believe it is one of the best coils available for the V3.

Jack
    "Knowledge counts but common sense matters." ~ LouAnne Johnson

Minelab E-Trac - Whites Vision/V3 - JeTco GTX Huntmaster - Whites Bullseye TRX - Garrett Pro-Pointer

Quote Originally Posted by xzlr8n View Post
    Strange thing happened today. I was lying on the couch half out of it when I heard what I thought was my new V3 turn on and make some of its usual sounds...
    Please let us know if it does this with the battery removed. lol lol lol

Minelab E-Trac - Whites Vision/V3 - JeTco GTX Huntmaster - Whites Bullseye TRX - Garrett Pro-Pointer

All quiet with the battery out . I put an email into White's Service Dept, probably hear from them after they get done laughing rofl, I mean after the New Year. I'll keep you guys posted. This is a strange thing for sure.
    Coils: stock 950 on MXT; 10" DD, Super 12, 950 Eclipse, and 4x6 DD Eclipse Shooter for the V3.

Quote Originally Posted by Manuellar View Post
    Hi for all.
    I have a question for CyberSage:
    You are using the 10x12 SEF coil with good results. I have found that the SEF 10x12 (this SEF is from my previous DFX) that I use when I use only the frequency 22.5 kHz, a quarter Dolar USA VDI gives me a -85 or so.
    Could it be that this coil is ready to reach the frequency of 15Khz and using the frequency of 22.5 kHz Spectra is forced to read VDI?.
    Have you tried to read a quarter (silver) with coil SEF using only the 22.5 frequency?
    Thank you very much and excuse my language (I can not speak English)
    Greetings
    Manu

PD:
    If I use three frequencies to read the quarter, the spectragraf bar does not rise in 22.5. But it works well for the other two frequencies (2.5 and 7.5).
    Manu,

I spent some time with a Quarter in air testing the V3 in the 22.5 kHz mode. Both a clad and a Silver Quarter wrapped all the way to the negative side. This is very typical behavior for a non nulled coil and even the stock D2 coil in certain circumstances. The Clad wrapped to -95 and the Silver to -93. Try including -94 and -95 in your discrimination settings. Change the Custom Tones for these two ranges to 254 and 253 respectively. If your in highly mineralized soil or very rocky soil this will cause a lot of noise though. Fortunately high conductive targets respond much better to lower frequencies (7.5, 2.5). I wouldn't go coin shooting in 22.5 kHz. The MXT pushes the limit at 15 kHz in my opinion, even then I had deep targets wrap around on the MXT as well. I dug a Indian Head at about 9 inches with the MXT and it gave a +95 in one direction and wrapped occasionally to -95. I have never seen the DFX wrap on a coin target to date. Just thought I would follow up on your question.

Keep Swing'in
    Jack

Another entry above for The Book of Jack. Thanks Buddy!!!
    I've traveled a long way, and many of the roads weren't paved.

Yeah Jack, that last entry will even help me in swinging my MXT! 8)
    Thanks buddy and Happy New Year!
    SeabeeRon on the beach in Santa Cruz,CA.

very good information Jack , i've experienced negative wrap around with the dfx although it is very rare . it had to do with very very deep targets , the one that comes to mind was a large cent that was around 11 inches deep and gave me a -95 and a null on the vdi 4 out of 5 times swinging the coil over it . the 1 time out of 5 the tone was close to coin sounding and a + 93 , deep iron nails often will do this type of thing so you have to move all around the target to work that signal to try to make it sound better . it finally sounded like a solid coin after about 6 or 7 inches of soil was removed and after all said and done a 1798 large cent came to light.

Dan
    "Honesty is an expensive gift ,
    so don't expect it from cheap people"

XP Deus II , DFX ,TDI sl -

Click here to view my finds album

There is a plus side to this 22.5 kHz behavior. That advantage it has offered me is in bringing up those deep nickels. This last year I have started digging a lot of older nickels. The frequency elevates low conductors as well. Combined with the Correlate mode they really have a solid signature. Tonal quality on solid symmetrical targets really stand out at depth much more so with the Correlate than the Best Data mode. I found 3 Buffalo and 2 war nickels along with assorted other nickels from the 40's and 50's. They come in around 60 to 70 VDI. If they are deep hits I know this is the signature for a Nickel and not just a Zinc Penny on the surface. Indian Heads come in in the Mid 70's and higher depending on how deep they are. Sooner or later I am going to get me a deep old Gold ring. Using the MXT for awhile has really helped me in understanding deep targets. The MXT has no Tone ID so you had to listen for what I call The Sound Of Round The ramp up and decay of the tone is really noticeably more pronounced on coins than it is on junk and deep iron. This might make a good video example if I can recreate the effect in the coin garden or next time I find a deep nickel in field hunting.

Keep Swing'in
    Jack

Jack,

Would the TX boost help correct these -94, -95 signals in older parks or yards??

The TX Boost is intended for use in low mineralized soils. The transmit signal is increased in turn creating a stronger receive signal. I would think the phase shifting would remain the same. It would have been a much more useful setting if you could incrementally control the amount the Transmit signal was boosted. This would let you tweak the signal to your exact mineral content.

Keep Swing'in
    Jack

Quote Originally Posted by CyberSage View Post
    It would have been a much more useful setting if you could incrementally control the amount the Transmit signal was boosted. This would let you tweak the signal to your exact mineral content.

Keep Swing'in
    Jack
    You ain't kidding. That would allow you the closest and hottest settings you could attain. But don't give them any ideas lol I want one sooner or later and I don't want to have to get a Phd in order to run it
    Finding relics is in my blood

GPX 5000, CTX 3030, E Trac, Vista Gold

Quote Originally Posted by CyberSage View Post
    I am assuming that the they you are referring to is KellyCo. KellyCo is the dealer for the SEF coil. They advertise that it is for the V3, however I think you will find this coil is still not properly nulled for the 22.5 kHz frequency. I still believe it is one of the best coils available for the V3.

Jack
    Jack are you saying that with the SEF coil you are only using it in single frequency mode, avoiding the 22.5khz freq?
    Whites Spectra V3i - Sun Ray Invader DX-1 - Garrett Propointer - Super 12 - Eclipse DD (6x10) - 10 DD - Eclipse 5.3 (6x6) - Excelerator SEF 10x12 Butterfly

Quote Originally Posted by pgwillin View Post
    Jack are you saying that with the SEF coil you are only using it in single frequency mode, avoiding the 22.5khz freq?
    I do frequently use it in the 2.5 kHz mode only, but most of the time I am in Correlate mode which uses all three frequencies.

Jack would like your opinion on setup for the hot soil in Northern Va. The ground probe indicated a signal loss of 40%+. Hunted there for 3 days and found stuff but did not feel comfortable till the 3rd day. I was hunting in relic single freq 22.5, rx 7 dis 75, all metal 60 filter between 10high and 12high recovery 50 sat 20. I may switch to 7.5 but the reason I hunted in 22.5 because it seemed to be the quietest due to the proximity of alot of other machines. I will be going there again in March and would like your or anyone who has hunted there with the Vs opinion on a setup Thanks Andy

Let me start off by making a disclaimer. I know nothing about relic hunting That being said lets talk a little about what your up against. The higher frequencies like the V3 22.5 kHz is less susceptible to EMI than lower frequencies. This is why it was quieter for you near the other detectors. The catch here is that it's the lower frequency is more capable of penetrating that bad ground. The default relic program uses a Best data 3 frequency mode, but this could be very noisy in your bad ground. I think your idea of going to the 7.5khz is a good one. I would slow down your recovery time as well to 80-100. To fast of recovery time can rapidly decrease your depth. This requires slower coil movement though. Set your filters as low as you can and still get penetration. Lower filter settings really have a pronounced quieting effect. Not beneficial for bad ground though. If your after bullets and buttons take a few with you and bury them at the depth you feel the good stuff is at. Work over the targets until the response is what you desire. You should be using a DD coil of some kind as well. They will cut the mineralization better than a concentric. A smaller DD coil like the 6x9 or even smaller will give better depth in this soil then the D2. I don't like the D2 coil on the V3. I think it is the best coil ever made for the MXT, but performs badly on the V3. Just my opinion. Hope this helps out some. Please share your results with us and let us know if you make any discoveries. Good luck

Keep Swing'in
    Jack

Thanks Jack for the reply. I also was using mixed mode but had the idea of using all metal with no disc. You pretty much can completely disregard the VDIs because bullets read like nails or hot rocks. Pretty much have to dig everything till you get the feel of whats happening.The TDIs absolutley rule in this ground but I dont have one so I will use what I have.

Candidate Member

Currently using a modified version of Jacks program. I was in a park with a lot of trash and found some solid tones that yielded some dimes and pennies. Hit the tot lot and found some quarters which sounded off nicely. Not sure what to expect with jewlery though? How does it act?

Since I have not found silver or gold yet with the V3, will it be a high tone with sharp camel backs? It becomes hard to know what to discriminate out to elimate the trash signals without missing the gold. Just curious and any VDI numbers to watch out for would be appreicated.

I was digging the classic repeatable tones.

Used to minelabs and getting used to the V3 and also using the 4x6 coil.

Thanks Crew!

Chad
    V3
    Excal II

Veteran Member

Quote Originally Posted by Sandman View Post
    It becomes hard to know what to discriminate out to elimate the trash signals without missing the gold. Just curious and any VDI numbers to watch out for would be appreicated.
    Only found one gold so far with the V3 -- 5gr man's wedding band, VDI 41, red freq dominant. Using stock CJ program. Ring was verified 14K by the refiner, so gold can ring this high (and probably higher for class rings). My wife's rings air test around VDI 21-24.

I'm not aware of a magic program to reliably weed out the trash and find the gold. I've dug a ton of sweet-sounding pulltabs

Oldest: 1755 Spanish silver; 1800 half dime | 1842 seated half | 1857 seated quarter | 516 silver coins in 2011!