Page 5 of 11 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: White's Spectra Vision (V3)

Re: White's Spectra V3 Vision

Jack ,You stated that the SEF 10x12 is one of the best coil for the V3......if it's not nulled how can it be the best? I noticed they sell it for the V but it's not nulled for it...I always stuck with Whites products....but sometimes other manufactures can produce a coil that can be better.......Of course depending on the conditions in your area...May I ask what kind of soil conditions you have in your area? Right know the 950 coil is best for my soil conditions......Which is low to med......have you researched if they will be a nulled version of this coil? I might be asking allot but can you explain why you feel this coil does well?
    Thanks

Candidate Member

rofl I found some sweet pulltabs too. Some had a strong 22.5 signal and others were 7.5. Quarters wake me up everytime with a powerful 22.5 and nice humps. Pennys so far are +55 and sometimes I get a +47. The areas I hunt have so much junk that my machine is busy making noise in between +26 and +37. Still getting a feel and dig almost everything that is solid in tone and repeatable with humps. My sterling silver ring I found with my Excal has inverted humps. Trying to get this figured out...
    V3
    Excal II

Quote Originally Posted by Fishnmaine View Post
    Jack ,You stated that the SEF 10x12 is one of the best coil for the V3......if it's not nulled how can it be the best? I noticed they sell it for the V but it's not nulled for it...I always stuck with Whites products....but sometimes other manufactures can produce a coil that can be better.......Of course depending on the conditions in your area...May I ask what kind of soil conditions you have in your area? Right know the 950 coil is best for my soil conditions......Which is low to med......have you researched if they will be a nulled version of this coil? I might be asking allot but can you explain why you feel this coil does well?
    Thanks
    Hello Fishnmaine,

My soil ranges from moderate out in the plains and gets progressively higher as you move toward the Rocky Mountains. Most of the parks and parkway strips and properties I hunt are in the moderate category. On to the topic of properly nulled coils versus the non-nulled variety. I have used both types in many different styles on the V3. Lets recap what the issues are with non nulled coils. Firstly, they give off slightly elevated VDI readings in the 22.5 kHz frequency. The 2.5 and 7.5 frequencies are unaffected. Secondly, they can not be used with the TX Boost setting past a Rx Gain of around 8 or 9 in general. They also have a tendency to overload above a setting of 14. I should also mention the behavior of the Bigfoot coil is affected in this way as well. Because of it's unique design of a front to back alignment of the DD style coil the results are skewed in another way as well. The back coil mirrors the front coil so all graphing on the analyze screen is inverted as well when using the back half of the coil. So the question is how can a non-nulled coil be better? I am a coinshooter for the most part so the lower two frequencies are the ones that do the work for me. I use a Correlate program which uses the 22.5 Frequency as well, but I have learned to deal with it by allowing for the wrap effect in the discrimination pattern and tone response. I would venture to say that the wrap function of the Correlate mode was put there by Whites because they knew deeper targets even with a nulled coil could be a problem. Like I said the elevated response has actually benefited me when it comes to finding very deep low conductor targets. As far as TX Boost and reduced RX Gain limitations, they are so far up the scale on the settings it is a non issue for me. I have more power than can be forced into the mineralized ground. I very rarely set my RX Gain above 9 even with a nulled coil. What I believe makes the SEF stand out is the results I started getting with it in very short order after putting it on the V3. I was a Super12 fan on the DFX, still am for that matter. I have a nulled Super12 coil I have used quite a bit, but the coin garden quickly showed the depth advantage the 10x12 SEF had over not only the Super12, but any other coil I had in my possession including the D2 coil. The 12x15 SEF goes even deeper if you don't have a trashy hunting area. I honestly don't know what kind of magic Detech is working with the SEF coils, I just know they have fantastic depth and great separation at depth. I have a clad dime buried at 10 inches in my local park. It sings like it's on the surface. I sold my D2 coil the next week.

Keep Swing'in
    Jack
    "Knowledge counts but common sense matters." ~ LouAnne Johnson

Minelab E-Trac - Whites Vision/V3 - JeTco GTX Huntmaster - Whites Bullseye TRX - Garrett Pro-Pointer

Question for Jack and anyone really,
    Hope my questions aren't stupid or annoy anyone, I am a newbie and trying to learn as much as I can. So, how can I tell what my ground mineralization is? I mean levels like weak, moderate or heavy. There are 2 ground probes on the V3 one by pressing zoom on the sensitivity in the live screen and another by pressing zoom on the ground tracking on the live screen. Is there a way to use the numbers from these screen to tell me what kind of ground I have. I found some info but just confused me. I read something about holding coil in the air and zero it and if the numbers were 0-1 it meant weak mineralization, 5-10 moderate an 10 plus heavy. Sounds easy enough but I can't find what they are talking about on my V3.... Can anyone help

Hope everyone had a safe and happy new year
    Paul
    Whites Spectra V3i - Sun Ray Invader DX-1 - Garrett Propointer - Super 12 - Eclipse DD (6x10) - 10 DD - Eclipse 5.3 (6x6) - Excelerator SEF 10x12 Butterfly

Go to ground tracking in live screen ,press zoom hold in air press menu, lower to the ground and the percentages at the bottom are the amount of signal loss. I saw a post from one of the whites engineers I think it was 0-10% was low 11-20% was moderate and 21 up is high mineralization that may not be exact but somewhere around there. Bury a target and see which filter works the best for your sweep speed and your ground. Hope this helps

Jack,

Have you played (or can you play) with bottle cap or hot rock adjustments while using your Correlate Program?? Also, I was wondering if accepting down to -30 VDI in discrimination does anything like it did for the DFX. I cannot remember exactly why accepting down to -30 helped out on the DFX, but I believe this was a recommended setting Jeff Foster had in his book?? I see you like accepting > +40 VDI in your deep coin correlate program.
    White's Spectra V3i "update", MXT, Prizm V, and Sun Ray Invader DX-1.
    Coils: stock 950 on MXT; 10" DD, Super 12, 950 Eclipse, and 4x6 DD Eclipse Shooter for the V3.

"The only person who never made a mistake never did anything!!"

Quote Originally Posted by CyberSage View Post
    Hello Fishnmaine,

My soil ranges from moderate out in the plains and gets progressively higher as you move toward the Rocky Mountains. Most of the parks and parkway strips and properties I hunt are in the moderate category. On to the topic of properly nulled coils versus the non-nulled variety. I have used both types in many different styles on the V3. Lets recap what the issues are with non nulled coils. Firstly, they give off slightly elevated VDI readings in the 22.5 kHz frequency. The 2.5 and 7.5 frequencies are unaffected. Secondly, they can not be used with the TX Boost setting past a Rx Gain of around 8 or 9 in general. They also have a tendency to overload above a setting of 14. I should also mention the behavior of the Bigfoot coil is affected in this way as well. Because of it's unique design of a front to back alignment of the DD style coil the results are skewed in another way as well. The back coil mirrors the front coil so all graphing on the analyze screen is inverted as well when using the back half of the coil. So the question is how can a non-nulled coil be better? I am a coinshooter for the most part so the lower two frequencies are the ones that do the work for me. I use a Correlate program which uses the 22.5 Frequency as well, but I have learned to deal with it by allowing for the wrap effect in the discrimination pattern and tone response. I would venture to say that the wrap function of the Correlate mode was put there by Whites because they knew deeper targets even with a nulled coil could be a problem. Like I said the elevated response has actually benefited me when it comes to finding very deep low conductor targets. As far as TX Boost and reduced RX Gain limitations, they are so far up the scale on the settings it is a non issue for me. I have more power than can be forced into the mineralized ground. I very rarely set my RX Gain above 9 even with a nulled coil. What I believe makes the SEF stand out is the results I started getting with it in very short order after putting it on the V3. I was a Super12 fan on the DFX, still am for that matter. I have a nulled Super12 coil I have used quite a bit, but the coin garden quickly showed the depth advantage the 10x12 SEF had over not only the Super12, but any other coil I had in my possession including the D2 coil. The 12x15 SEF goes even deeper if you don't have a trashy hunting area. I honestly don't know what kind of magic Detech is working with the SEF coils, I just know they have fantastic depth and great separation at depth. I have a clad dime buried at 10 inches in my local park. It sings like it's on the surface. I sold my D2 coil the next week.

Keep Swing'in
    Jack
    Thanks Jack for that great information... thumbsup01

Quote Originally Posted by xzlr8n View Post
    Jack,

Have you played (or can you play) with bottle cap or hot rock adjustments while using your Correlate Program?? Also, I was wondering if accepting down to -30 VDI in discrimination does anything like it did for the DFX. I cannot remember exactly why accepting down to -30 helped out on the DFX, but I believe this was a recommended setting Jeff Foster had in his book?? I see you like accepting > +40 VDI in your deep coin correlate program.
    I used to set the hot rock reject to 10 on the DFX version of the correlate program. This setting caused the DFX to ignore hot rocks and not elicit a tone response for +95. This helped to quiet things down a bit. I choose to disable this feature on the V3 and use modulation instead with the range set to 4. This will lower the volume on most of the hot rocks and the coins will still sound loudly even when deep. I got this hint from Bob at Whites Electronics one time. Using this to any degree in the current correlate program would cause the breakup of good targets that are on the edge of wrapping.

I never have been a fan of Bottle Cap Reject. I just squeeze the pinpoint trigger and see if the 22.5 frequency is the strongest responder to the target. This does a great job of picking out the bottle caps. It would be be a good thing to experiment with and see if it affects the response of a deep target.

I use a -20 setting on the DFX version of the correlate program because it kept the DFX from nulling so much and served to keep the threshold more stable. I would rather have a grunt from iron in the ground than a discrimination null any day. I raised this to +40 to quiet the V3 down. It's was to noisy. Coins all hit higher than this even nickels. If you want to include surface and shallow nickels along with shallow gold rings and jewelry you probably want to drop this to at least +5. I am after coins so I keep it higher.

Keep Swing'in
    Jack

Minelab E-Trac - Whites Vision/V3 - JeTco GTX Huntmaster - Whites Bullseye TRX - Garrett Pro-Pointer

Thanks Jack.. I speculated the hot rocks fcn would interfere with the +95 and wrap responses.

It is interesting that you use the Modulation fcn. I thought Modulation as per DFX days made deeper targets sound weaker, hence a good deep target. Problem was you might miss the tone?? Is Modulation better on the V3?? Also, is the range set to 4 good for low mineralized ground.

On a different note, what do you do if you get alot of +95 targeting with your Corellate program??
    Coils: stock 950 on MXT; 10" DD, Super 12, 950 Eclipse, and 4x6 DD Eclipse Shooter for the V3.

The Modulation setting is greatly enhanced in the Spectra V3 and seems to make good use of the stereo output. The Range setting is key to adjusting this to your listening pleasure, so to speak. The signal from Hot Rocks are generally weak in nature compared to that of a deep coin. So the trick is adjusting the range up enough to quiet the Hot Rocks but not the coins. In my moderate soil 4 seems to work very well for me. This is truly a setting you have to adjust on the fly for your hunting area. If your not sure adjust this to 3 as a starting point. The coins will still scream at you if this is adjusted right. The mineralization of the ground does change how this range settings behave. The lower your mineralization the scale goes from 0-5. The higher your mineralization the effect seems to shift and reverse itself, so 5 becomes the less noticeable change and 0 is the most pronounced. Confused? Well to be honest me too, lol but This is how it was explained to me by an engineer at Whites.

Keep Swing'in
    Jack

Nothing Earth shattering to report, but I did receive my Santa Pack stuff from White's today. I picked the Super 12 and added a 9.5 Eclipse concentric purchase to the deal.

Sounds like the 9.5 will be the one to use from what I've read here on this thread. I'll use the Super 12 for sports fields and older homes after I've gone through them with the smaller coils. I'll put the d2 on my MXT, as Jack has said it will work good on this machine.

I cannot wait for WINTER to be over!! :bangahead01:

Sounds like you have a great selection of coils. Good luck on winter being over though lol I wish it were. Can't wait to see some more reports on that machine. It has the capabilities of being a great machine once you can find the right settings for your type and place of hunting.
    Finding relics is in my blood

GPX 5000, CTX 3030, E Trac, Vista Gold

Great selection of coils xzlr8n! Take the time to experiment with all of these coils for yourself. Looking forward to hearing about your experience in the field. I would recommend you give the D2 a try on the V3. It's not my favorite, but it is important to experience the V3 as the engineers designed it. If nothing else it provides a reference point for other coils you try on the Spectra. The D2 is killer on the MXT. It will run extremely deep. Watch for those 92 to 95 VDI range repeatable targets on the MXT. They will pinpoint very lightly. Things are starting to thaw out a little bit here. The ground is frozen hard, but there are some open spots starting to appear in the park. I will probably be out there looking for targets I can't dig. . Congratulations on the new toys!

Keep Swing'in
    Jack

P.S. Here is a shot of the dig site of an Indian Head penny found at 9.5 inches with the MXT and the D2 coil.

Howdy,

My first post here. I go by That'll_Do on DFXonly.com but
    I guess this site doesn't like apostrophes in usernames so
    I'm Lope-along here. I'm relatively new to MD'ing and I have
    a DFX with 950 & 14DD coils and a V3 with 10&quot2 & V-rated 950.

I see many names here I have seen before and highly respect too.
    I'd like to throw out a V3 and coils question in hopes of getting
    some informative answers. Personal opinions are always welcome too.
    My question(s) is:

I would like two basic V3 coil set-ups for my machine - One for
    Coin cherry-picking, one for slower searching Coin & Jewelry type goals.

I am aware many might say dig it all or why go over the same ground twice.
    Well, it's my time and it doesn't bother me at all. I don't have a lot of
    areas close-in to go to anyway so cherry-picking followed by more thorough
    crawls over more productive ground suits me at this stage of my learning.

My ground is generally Highly mineralized and often High Trash as well.
    I often woods hunt so large SEF's might not be the best choice but if you
    think otherwise feel free to educate me. If I were asked to answer this
    question on my own my reply would be to use the V-rated 950 for C&J slower
    hunting and a V-rated 6x10DD for Cherry-picking in challenging ground.

I like my 14DD and don't mind the weight but I consider having aa V-rated
    coil important for the V3. Not sure if DD coils are fast enough for such
    cherry-picking chores.

Thoughts Anyone?

Lope_along

Hi, First off, welcome aboard. I think CyberSage is our resident expert on that V3 But I can give you a general idea of what I would do. I had the DFX and tried various coils on it. I know the V3 is not a DFX but the engeneering technology may be similar. I tried the 9.5, 6x10DD, 8x14DD, and 4x6DD on the DFX. I always went back to the stock 9.5. The minerals in my area are not that hot. My trash picking coil was the 4x6. So for me it was a 9.5 and a 4x6 coil. Never like the 8x14 monster coil. I guess I wasn't patient enough with it lol I think Jack had some good results with the SEF coils though? Give it a couple of days and let's see what the real experts can come up with (not me lol)

Welcome aboard Lope_along... good to see you here. HH RickO
    Spectra V3, DFX, Surf Dual PI, Surf Pro, GMT, TDI, DX-1, Coiltek, Pistol Probe, Bullseye, Hot Shot coil, Spider Coil, 4x6 coil, 14 DD, D2, some others... Garrett Wall Detector

I'm new to this forum, I bought the V3 a few months back. All though I've found but one silver I seem to have no problem with gold jewelry. I'm now experimenting with the excelerator 6x8 sef butterfly and I'm loving it. It's been very stable and seems to go pretty deep. I did have to learn to slow down my swing with this machine to get better separation in high mineral soil though. The pic I post with this thread were all found with the V3 within the first month of ownership.
    Attached Images Attached Images   

Quote Originally Posted by Leon View Post
    I'm new to this forum, I bought the V3 a few months back. All though I've found but one silver I seem to have no problem with gold jewelry. I'm now experimenting with the excelerator 6x8 sef butterfly and I'm loving it. It's been very stable and seems to go pretty deep. I did have to learn to slow down my swing with this machine to get better separation in high mineral soil though. The pic I post with this thread were all found with the V3 within the first month of ownership.
    Welcome to the forum Leon Very nice finds!
    Minelab E-Trac/Sun Ray X-1 -- Minelab Sovereign GT/Sun Ray S-1 -- White's v3i/Sun Ray DX-1
    Fisher CZ3D -- Tesoro Tiger Shark -- Garrett ACE 250

Nice finds. It seems like you and the V3 are getting along just fine lol I love that Barber coinage. Do you find a lot of them Chinese cash coins?? Are you on the west coast? I see a lot of them turn up there. Nice jewelry too. It will not take you long to pay for that machine at that rate thumbsup01

Quote Originally Posted by Lope_along View Post

I would like two basic V3 coil set-ups for my machine - One for
    Coin cherry-picking, one for slower searching Coin & Jewelry type goals...

...My ground is generally Highly mineralized and often High Trash as well.
    I often woods hunt so large SEF's might not be the best choice but if you
    think otherwise feel free to educate me. If I were asked to answer this
    question on my own my reply would be to use the V-rated 950 for C&J slower
    hunting and a V-rated 6x10DD for Cherry-picking in challenging ground.
    I would highly recommend the the Eclipse 6x10 DD coil. It will deal with the mineralization and help you in trashy areas. Sounds like you have it all figured out already. The 950 being concentric will not do as well in higher mineral content soils. Keep us up to date and welcome to the forum

Keep Swing'in
    Jack