Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What the heck are we gonna do all winter?

What the heck are we gonna do all winter?

PLAY HOCKEY! lol how about you?
    And now the metal detectorist pledge.
    "I pledge to do my honor, to do my best AND seriously investigate ALL deep signals!"

Minelab SE (Is there really any other manufacturer?) 2011 totals = 24 silver coins, 3 LC,1 war of 1812 artillary button , 1 token, 6 IH pennies, 1 2 cent piece

Re: What the heck are we gonna do all winter?

Quote Originally Posted by hockeyguy View Post
    PLAY HOCKEY! lol how about you?
    quietly weep to myself crying01 while watching all the good finds from the posts of the southern
    detectorists
    "Honesty is an expensive gift ,
    so don't expect it from cheap people"

XP Deus II , DFX ,TDI sl -

Click here to view my finds album

I'm going to be depressed. Then I'll go out to hunt in the woods.

I'll keep busy cleaning some wheats, and reading about the finds from members where winter isn't a downer.

I'll detect I'm in the south; there must be some advantage to that!

I also recently booked a skiing trip to Durango, Colorado (Purgatory lodge) for this winter. It's been about 8 years since I skied Colorado, but at that time I had been skiing a great deal and had progressed to the expert slopes. I'll be starting at intermediate now. I hope I'm not too old lol
    Minelab E-Trac/Sun Ray X-1 -- Minelab Sovereign GT/Sun Ray S-1 -- White's v3i/Sun Ray DX-1
    Fisher CZ3D -- Tesoro Tiger Shark -- Garrett ACE 250

Im taking my ice auger to the creek so I can get my suction hose in the water to run my trommel. lol More on the serious side,if the winter would remain like it has so far this year,it would suit me just fine and I wouldnt need to retire the detector until spring. thumbsup01
    E-Trac, X-1
    Sovereign GT, S-1
    Ace 250

This will sound strange but I will almost be glad when the ground freezes. My obsession with detecting has been a little too out of hand this year. There's a lot of things I've neglected that need tending too. Once detecting is no longer an option it will be easier to focus on anything and everything else.

That being said, hopefully it will be a short winter!
    Minelab E-Trac - Minelab Sovereign GT - Bounty Hunter Tracker IV - Tesoro Compadre
    Oldest find - 1804 Draped Bust Half Cent

Veteran Member

I'm joining the local historical society, and hope to spend alot of time in their library of old maps, newspapers, and historical photos. We'll see if anything comes from it. If not, hopefully it will satisfy my interest in local history.
    Oldest: 1755 Spanish silver; 1800 half dime | 1842 seated half | 1857 seated quarter | 516 silver coins in 2011!

I plan on doing some research on sites. When the weather is good I'm hoping to get out for some detecting.

Quote Originally Posted by Epi-hunter View Post
    I also recently booked a skiing trip to Durango, Colorado (Purgatory lodge) for this winter.
    Have you ever ridden the D&SNGR? I highly recommend it. Here's a pic of it from two years ago when I was there. It runs during winter as well and I imagine there are some stunning pictures to be had.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    [move]White’s MXT Minelab E-Trac Oldest coin: 1875 Indian Head Cent Oldest Silver Coin: 1886 Seated Liberty Dime[/move]

Well I will definately be doing some research for next year but to get out of the house I will be on the ice chasing crappie!

Quote Originally Posted by OkieDigger View Post
    Have you ever ridden the D&SNGR? I highly recommend it. Here's a pic of it from two years ago when I was there. It runs during winter as well and I imagine there are some stunning pictures to be had.
    Gorgeous photo... I haven't ridden it, but it's one of the things I intend to do while there. I haven't been to Durango in several years. I can't wait to go back.
    Minelab E-Trac/Sun Ray X-1 -- Minelab Sovereign GT/Sun Ray S-1 -- White's v3i/Sun Ray DX-1
    Fisher CZ3D -- Tesoro Tiger Shark -- Garrett ACE 250

For me I'll be doing some research on some local sites and I just ordered a Tumbler do clean up my clad and some beat up silver before wrapping it up. After that probably a little inside painting so that I'll be free for Spring. I was going to do some swinging today but I'm a little under the weather, maybe tomorrow. thumbsup01
    E-Trac, Excalibur 1000, Garrett Infinium.

I think I'll just hibernate lol Works for the bears :-\
    Finding relics is in my blood

GPX 5000, CTX 3030, E Trac, Vista Gold

My better half has a long Honey-Do list for me this winter. I'll be lucky to finish by Spring.

Winter? What's that.. I'll be out there somewhere hunting.. I can't stay at home ALL day it would drive me crazy just starring out the window..
    Minelab E-Trac
    Whites DFX
    Garrett Pro Pointer

normally winter here isn't that bad but this year is suppose to be a bad one-if it isn't so bad I'll be detecting-don't want to think about the worst as I'm not the inside person but hate the cold too-any thing less then 70s I'm putting on more clothes-too many years in Tampa
    knowledge that isn't passed on is wasted

Candidate Member

Well ice fishing helps calm the Metal Mania very mildly, I also calm the edge with research, research, and more research. Soon after New Years I get couped up too long and lose most of my mind and try to hit the ocean on the warmer days going in the water with waders to get just a little fix. Then by Pre-spring I am clinically insane and have to get out there with my pick axe and detect on the snow that is less than 3 deep, I find you can still pull a decent find with 3 of snow or less on the ground It's just way more of a pain in the butt. Anyways that is my winter life, the rest is just details because I suffer from a disease called Metal Mania.

HH,

-Evan
    MineLab Explorer SE with the PRO Coil added for the land work, MineLab Excalibur II for beach and under water work, and Whites Spectrum XLT for backup!!!

Well, being in Alabama I guess I'll hunt a good bit, camping with the Scouts, finish the house remodel around April, work and of course go to as many Civil War shows as I can.

Research...both book and field.... have to find Dutch Shultz's treasure and a few others.. RickO
    Spectra V3, DFX, Surf Dual PI, Surf Pro, GMT, TDI, DX-1, Coiltek, Pistol Probe, Bullseye, Hot Shot coil, Spider Coil, 4x6 coil, 14 DD, D2, some others... Garrett Wall Detector

I'm going to teach at the Technical College, go ice fishing, start travelling for work again after being grounded since May, and try to get 7-10 days in visiting my son in Vail where he is working for the ski season. Then again, a beach on the Gulf of Mexico sounds pretty darn good, too! 8)
    Ace 250 w/Sunray Probe
    More than paid for with clad!

I will look for a few woods to hunt and some of my other spots so long as its not frozen. Then I also hope for some new literature on the V3 to be out the first of the year. That way I can read it over and over till it starts to soak in some time next spring.I also like that hibernate idea . H.H.Yazoo