Thread: Silver Dime Spill

Silver Dime Spill

Today I had one of the best silver coin spills of the year! I dug up four mercury dimes from the same hole. I had been working a grid at a section of the park I detected this weekend when I hit upon the silver dime spill. By the time I came upon the spill I already had four silver coins in my pouch, three dimes and a quarter.

The first silver coin of the day, a 1929 mercury dime. I love how they look while still in the soil.

After digging my third silver coin of the day, a 1920-D mercury dime, I sent Epi-hunter a text to tell her about the find and to complain that working a grid was tedious. I think she rolled her eyes at me.

I continued detecting, and it wasn't long before I picked up another mercury dime, dated 1943. Then five minutes later I hit on a good signal, high pitched, though the Co number did not rise above 44. I suspect it was due to the nearby trash. Anyway, I didn't spend time examining the target and quickly decided to dig. I cut a plug and scooped out some soil, when at about six inches I saw the coin. It ended up being a 1941 mercury dime.

I knelt to place the soil and plug back in the hole, but not before checking with my probe to see if there were any other targets. And there was! I removed about another 1/2 inch of soil before seeing the edge of a silver coin, another mercury dime, dated 1926. I checked the hole again, and yet once more the sweet sound of silver filled my ears. I dug more soil, and there it was, one more mercury dime, this one dated 1939. I was, needless to say, quite excited about the finds. I checked the hole yet again with the probe and what was no doubt another silver coin was singing loud and clear. The last target was another mercury dime, dated 1944. Four mercury dimes from the same hole and at varying depths.

My total take for the day, eight silver coins.

HH!

Re: Silver Dime Spill

450 Silver for the year must be fast approching.. Nice to see still more Silver hiding at the park.. Man o Man what a year you've had..
    Minelab E-Trac
    Whites DFX
    Garrett Pro Pointer

Veteran Member

That's just amazing.
    Oldest: 1755 Spanish silver; 1800 half dime | 1842 seated half | 1857 seated quarter | 516 silver coins in 2011!

So did your machine freak at recognizing more than one coin down there, or did it give the same signal it does at a single silver coin? Nice diggin's ~ I wanna find spills like that, too!

Nice!!! Did the Ferrous numbers dip into the 10's or did it stay at around 12? Great bunch of silver. That '29 is in nice shape. That's it...... I'm officially hunting silver next year or maybe not.

If there's a silver coin spill there to be found, you will find it! I did think you were joking with me after the third text and the third dime in five minutes... I was asking myself, how did he have time to dig?! Congrats on another great day!

Quote Originally Posted by Epi-hunter View Post
    after the third text and the third dime in five minutes... I was asking myself, how did he have time to dig?!
    Silly girl.... He can multi task!! Yea, it is kinda strange that he can do both l Surprised you don't ignore his text messages It's never I broke my leg, or I'm stuck at home... It's always yup got tons of silver today Minelab needs to take note

Quote Originally Posted by Snowy View Post
    So did your machine freak at recognizing more than one coin down there, or did it give the same signal it does at a single silver coin? Nice diggin's ~ I wanna find spills like that, too!
    Not really. The tone appeared to be that of a single coin, not like that of spread spills where the signal seems to radiate out. I was moving a bit quickly on that grid though, making fast decision to dig. I was on a mission.

Quote Originally Posted by coinnut View Post
    Nice!!! Did the Ferrous numbers dip into the 10's or did it stay at around 12? Great bunch of silver. That '29 is in nice shape. That's it...... I'm officially hunting silver next year or maybe not.
    The Fe number was mostly hitting at about 11, but it did bounce between 10 and 12 at times. I should have examined the signal a bit more, but I was already on a roll.

Quote Originally Posted by Epi-hunter View Post
    If there's a silver coin spill there to be found, you will find it! I did think you were joking with me after the third text and the third dime in five minutes... I was asking myself, how did he have time to dig?! Congrats on another great day!
    Yeah, your responses were funny too.

great score on the coinspill Angel , only you would find an all silver spill of coins my friend . great day for sure i hope your luck holds out a little longer .
    "Honesty is an expensive gift ,
    so don't expect it from cheap people"

XP Deus II , DFX ,TDI sl -

Click here to view my finds album

I really need a park like that out here! Nice finds!
    [move]White’s MXT Minelab E-Trac Oldest coin: 1875 Indian Head Cent Oldest Silver Coin: 1886 Seated Liberty Dime[/move]

The park I have Angel, I just need your skill in finding them. Awesome finds Angel 8 silvers in one day, why don't it happen to me.

Awesome hunt Angel... one super load of silver... great find. RickO
    Spectra V3, DFX, Surf Dual PI, Surf Pro, GMT, TDI, DX-1, Coiltek, Pistol Probe, Bullseye, Hot Shot coil, Spider Coil, 4x6 coil, 14 DD, D2, some others... Garrett Wall Detector

And I thought I had a good day! WTG Angel!

Quote Originally Posted by MNDigger View Post
    And I thought I had a good day! WTG Angel!
    Thanks Steve!

Wait 'till you see what I dug up today.

Quote Originally Posted by angellionel View Post
    Wait 'till you see what I dug up today.
    I was just going to post that same thing

Well...........Let's see it! I am going to guess a really nice old silver!

Nice silver pile in your hand . That 4 Merc hole would be a memorable one for me!! I can't wait to see what you found today .