Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Best coil for the DFX300:huh:thinkingabout:

Best coil for the DFX300:huh:thinkingabout:

I have the DFX300 that's in the classifieds- if I can't sell it, which coil would be best- 9.5,10DD?? Or any other? I did not like the 12in spider that came with it. Then I bought my E-trac and did not put any time with the 1400 . The 5.3 is great, but need a bigger one to go with it.

Re: Best coil for the DFX300:huh:thinkingabout:

The 12 wont be good in a trashy park. I think the best all purpose coil would be the 6X10. Thats what I used most of the time when I had my DFX.
    Having fun is what it is all about!

6x10 or the stock 9.5 coil. Both are good, but the separation is better on the 6x10 DD.
    Finding relics is in my blood

GPX 5000, CTX 3030, E Trac, Vista Gold

I use the 6x10 most of the time onmy DFX
    Today is my day

Hey Spike,

The 12 inch coil on the DFX is probably one of the best combinations Whites has come up with. I had trouble with the DFX until I bought the Super12 coil. I worked hard at perfecting a program for a couple years. The end result was very productive for me. This is one year worth of keepers with the 12 inch coil on the DFX...

I 'll be honest with you. I don't care for the 12 inch coil on the V3, but it is the way to go on the DFX. Here is a link to a PDF file with all the settings and observations on the program. Give it a try before you abandon the larger coil. There is a lot of good advice in this thread so far. These guys know what they are talking about, but do me a favor load this up and give it a shot.

http://home.comcast.net/~whitesdfx/Super12.pdf

On second thought. I would probably just use the E-Trac. It is a far superior detector.

Keep Swing'in
    Jack

"Knowledge counts but common sense matters." ~ LouAnne Johnson

Minelab E-Trac - Whites Vision/V3 - JeTco GTX Huntmaster - Whites Bullseye TRX - Garrett Pro-Pointer

WOW Jack, nice pile of clad and silver sweet
    Today is my day

Thanks guys- man I wish I had this forum before I gave up on the 12in that came with it. I just could not get any depth with it and when I ran it hot I was very unstable I hunt with a guy (Rusthunter) he has a XLT with a 9.5 and would just smoke the stock coil that came on it. I think my 5.3 is about as deep as it was Could it have just been bad?

No history of bad Super12 Coils. If your mineralization strength is high, it could be an explanation.

Minelab E-Trac - Whites Vision/V3 - JeTco GTX Huntmaster - Whites Bullseye TRX - Garrett Pro-Pointer

Quote Originally Posted by CyberSage View Post
    The 12 inch coil on the DFX is probably one of the best combinations Whites has come up with. I had trouble with the DFX until I bought the Super12 coil. I worked hard at perfecting a program for a couple years. The end result was very productive for me. This is one year worth of keepers with the 12 inch coil on the DFX...
    I will be giving this program a try.

I have only had my DFX300 with the 12 coil for a few months (not counting winter) and while there were a few times it seemed overwhelming, I managed to get great depth out of it.

Since it is the only coil I currently have, I had to adjust/adapt to it and I did just that. I can go into a high trash area and do just fine with the 12 coil Sure, it can get a little annoying at times, but I learned to identify when I had multiple targets under the coil as well as the trash signals.
    Before I had the DX1 probe, I could visually mark multiple signals under the 12 coil and dig coins out of every spot.

Was up to my elbow in a hole on one dig, larger target though (rusty old can).

Thought I had a good target in a city park that I think was an old water pipe - it was DeeP!

The 12 coil worked awesome while I was relic hunting in the woods along an old logging Ice Road.

Planning on buying a smaller coil in the next month, but I have no complaints on the 12.

Northern MN is Iron Ore country too - I have been in places, put the coil down and the program would be completely unstable - bout drive ya nuts in 2 seconds.

These things take patience and perseverance.
    Grand Rapids, MN
    DFX 300
    Sunray DX-1

I had 2 bad coils on my MXT300 the 300MM coil is pretty much the same as the super 12 just a little thicker, they started overloading above preset and got worse from there to the point at 6 gain it would overload. Whites took care of me though but after the second bad one I was done with that coil and had them send me the D2 best coil I've used by far I even had to get another one as a spare for fear to be without one. The D2 will get as deep as the super12 with way better separation, when the super12 worked it was a great coil but lost faith in the reliability but glad it did go bad so I could find out how great the D2 coil is.
    MXT300 D2,950,6x10,4x6

I agree with you Wingmaster. I think the D2 is the best coil for the MXT. I really like the way it handled on the MXT and had some nice deep digs with it. It took me a while to warm up to it on the V3, but it is my coil of choice now. The D2 seems to be very noisy on the DFX. I still prefer the Super12 for the my DFX.

When I got the D2 coil for my MXT I think I was calling it an MXT Nitro or something like that. I used the Super12 on it regularly for quite a while in old parks and other grassy area's but when the D2 came then I was really off to the races. When I went to order one my supplier for detector stuff hadn't even heard of it and it was already on the Whites website.

Quote Originally Posted by wingmaster View Post
    I had 2 bad coils on my MXT300 the 300MM coil is pretty much the same as the super 12 just a little thicker, they started overloading above preset and got worse from there to the point at 6 gain it would overload. Whites took care of me though but after the second bad one I was done with that coil and had them send me the D2 best coil I've used by far I even had to get another one as a spare for fear to be without one. The D2 will get as deep as the super12 with way better separation, when the super12 worked it was a great coil but lost faith in the reliability but glad it did go bad so I could find out how great the D2 coil is.
    I think my DFX300 came with the 300mm coil to but I thought it was the same as the spider 12in or super 12

The 300MM and the super12 is really the same coil the 300MM is just a little thicker and heavier, the D2 has some with an orange D2 and some with a white D2 on the coil with one being heavier and thicker.
    MXT300 D2,950,6x10,4x6

Thanks for all the help I think since I also have a E-trac for depth I will go with the 6x10. Thank you Jack but just dont trust the 12in hope you guys can help me get my DFX300 going good I think I gave up to soon on it when that dang XLT woped me so bad( Rusthunter) he has that thing working amazing so now I have to drag in Iron

Quote Originally Posted by Spike View Post
    Thanks for all the help I think since I also have a E-trac for depth I will go with the 6x10.
    Good Choice! I am glad your giving it another shot.

Veteran Member

Good luck i wish I could help but I have a V3i. 8/ 8/

Spike i'm a long time dfx user as well any time you want to pick my brain for some help just ask buddy . as others have said the 6x10 coil is a great coil if its working correctly and my coil of choice and reaching a quarter like target at 8-10 inches is very possible with it and the sepparation is alot better than the stock.

Dan
    "Honesty is an expensive gift ,
    so don't expect it from cheap people"

XP Deus II , DFX ,TDI sl -

Click here to view my finds album

Buy a new coil and sell me your 12,,,,, CHEAP!!!!!!
    WHITES DFX

Candidate Member

how do you tell what coil you have mine just says DFX wide band multi harmonic.