Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: National parks

Re: National parks

Alot of the time if you call to ask if its ok even at a city park if the person you talk to doesn't know if it is or isn't ok they will tell you no I guess to error on the safe side so it doesn't come back on them telling you it was ok when it isn't, then to find out its fine to hunt there. Most county and city parks around here its fine to detect and there are no laws against it. I have a few private places to detect I didn't get to last year because of it being so dry and its nice yards I didn't want to hunt because it was so dry you couldn't even keep a plug together the dirt would crumble and the grass would just fall apart not to mention it was like concrete. I even had one guy say he didn't care about the yard but I told him I do, he might have cared if the lawn mower started throwing grass chunks out, I told him I'll talk to you in the spring. If I get all my private places done I'll check in to that state park to see if they will give a permit but I doubt it.
    MXT300 D2,950,6x10,4x6

Veteran Member

i would say definately NO
    im an american proud and free, a son of the south dont tread on me

Probably the only way that you're ever gonna get permission in a National park would be if someone you knew lost something there in a certain area that you would could probably get permission to hunt for the sole purpose of finding that particular item but that's probably it. 2old I'm pretty sure had to acquire permission to hunt for a ring for someone on a National Park but I might be wrong.

This is a state park that was bought with federal funded money so I'm not sure how it plays out and I'm pretty sure the state will say no anyway.
    MXT300 D2,950,6x10,4x6

Elite Member

According to The Archaelogical Resources Protection Act of 1979 as amended, Section 6(a) No person may excavate, remove, damge or otherwise alter or deface or attempt to excavate, remove damge or otherwise alter or deface any archaelogical resource located on public lands or Indian Lands unless such activity is pursuant to a permit issued under section 4 of this act.

It is up to the Federal Land Manager who gets permits

It does state under Section 7 that if you find and remove arrowheadson top of the ground there is no penalty....but there are no other exclusions in this Act.

Ultimatly, you need permission whether on Private land, or State or Federal, and even in some municipalities on public land....be familiar with your local laws.

As everyone has been saying, there are enough places to hunt, just get permission first. It does ALL of us good.
    2014 Goals: 20 Silver, 5 Large Coppers, 1 Gold Coin (not anticipating being able to detect much this year; NEW BABY HERE!!)
    So Far: (0) Silver; (2) KG, LC 1807; (2) IH; (3) Buff

2013 Total: 36 Silver; 5LC (including 1 FUGIO)
    2012 Total:101 Silver; 11 LC

Every body needs to write their congressman & senators , ask them to lighten up on the rules,
    Here in Tennessee, we have gotten gun carry laws changed for the better just by letting them know our wants
    But it takes numbers, stop talk and take action...
    2012 is just around the corner...

Write Your Representative
    https://writerep.house.gov/writerep/welcome.shtml

Your Senator
    http://www.senate.gov/general/contac...nators_cfm.cfm

Maybe someone can makeup a letter we can all email in?

What's frightening really is the gradual take-over of land by Govt. It was bad enough when the Govt took ownership directly, but now they can simply control land without ownership leaving some poor schlep stuck owning land with an inflated value that he can't do anything with. This means, of course, the owner is still stuck paying taxes on it while the Govt forbids any use of it. Wisconsin just pulled a dandy by decreeing the DNR controls all land along all navigable waterways. For us this means no metal detecting allowed. It's not done through legislation of course, it's done by policy and regulation. Purely arbitrary directive from unelected officials answerable to no one.