Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: We bought our daughter a detector

We bought our daughter a detector

Our daughter Lexine (well, Krom's daughter, officially my step-daughter, but she's still my daughter in my eyes! ) tried metal detecting with us a few years ago and truely enjoyed it. We weren't really sure she'd like it so much but she's talked about it ever since.

So, with busy lives and four step children of her own, we decided it would be best to give her a Christmas present now, so she had a chance to use it. The holidays will keep her and her family busy visiting other family members, and we wanted her to have the chance to use it a little before the snow flies...

We hustled down to the coin store and grabbed the last Coinmaster they had (it was on hold for us), grabbed a coil cover and digger, wrapped it all up and went to visit.

She was VERY happy, and the Coinmaster performs really well. Krom and I were surprised.
    Her first dig was 3 wheats in the same hole and within a half hour she had about 7 wheats.
    There's silver there... Krom and I could SMELL it! lol
    She's got some prime detecting ground there and I don't think it's ever been touched.

I snagged this video but it's dark. I tried to lighten it a bit but it's still not great. Better than not having it on video at all.

Lexine's Detector.wmv

Re: We bought our daughter a detector

Nice! She is happy for sure. Loved the video, Donna. Thanks for sharing!

Can I share the photo? I love this of you and Joe and your daughter!!! Thank you. Love the video! I hope she enjoys the detector

Minelab E-Trac/Sun Ray X-1 -- Minelab Sovereign GT/Sun Ray S-1 -- White's v3i/Sun Ray DX-1
    Fisher CZ3D -- Tesoro Tiger Shark -- Garrett ACE 250

hope you all have some time together to enjoy the hobby , great gift you two.
    "Honesty is an expensive gift ,
    so don't expect it from cheap people"

XP Deus II , DFX ,TDI sl -

Click here to view my finds album

Man are you guys in trouble lol It's always the kids that find the first cache Before you know it she will be teaching you guys on how to detect. Great gift. It will give you and your daughter countless memories. thumbsup01
    Finding relics is in my blood

GPX 5000, CTX 3030, E Trac, Vista Gold

Excellent! So you would recommend the new Coinmaster? lol
    MXT, Explorer SE Pro

Sorry for the late replies... my laptop is crashing... had to wait for Krom to finish on his computer so I could borrow it while I fix mine.

Yes, I'd recommend it from what I've seen so far. Debated on what to buy her but after some reading, the Coinmaster is actually a Prism III without a couple of accessories like an armband, for one...

Yuppers... she's gonna be into the silver there for sure!
    I guarantee it.

thumbsup01

Glad she enjoys it, and I'm sure she will for years.
    Jimmy - Minelab X-Terra 30 | White's BHID 300 | White's Spectrum XLT | Vibra-Probe 570
    My Blog

Nice post Donna.
    Hope Lexine and family enjoy it. The family that detects together stays together Merry Christmas Gil
    "Life is tough, but tougher when your stupid" John Wayne

Thanks for sharing that with us Donna! Her and the kids will have loads of fun!

It's great when the whole family can share in the fun. Thanks for the video Snowy.
    [move]White’s MXT Minelab E-Trac Oldest coin: 1875 Indian Head Cent Oldest Silver Coin: 1886 Seated Liberty Dime[/move]

lol lol lol Loved it Donna, I think you've converted the grandkids to if there yours. thumbsup01 Nice present to give your kids, awesome. thumbsup01
    E-Trac, Excalibur 1000, Garrett Infinium.

I suppose they'd be my step grandkids, huh? Biological or not, they're part of the family and they're great kids! (And, thanks Charlie... I never thought of myself as a grandparent until you mentioned it ... )

They simply LOVED this concept of digging money from the ground. Wait until they get a load of some silver coins. They all wanted to do the digging and they all wanted to do the detecting. They wanna go to the park and the beach and their yard and the neighbor's yards ... they're too funny. It felt good to see them all so happy. Choked me up.

Very cool Snowy... My two daughters in Maine just do not seem to be interested in the hobby... well, neither is my daughter in NC. So, have fun, she sure seemed excited. HH RickO
    Spectra V3, DFX, Surf Dual PI, Surf Pro, GMT, TDI, DX-1, Coiltek, Pistol Probe, Bullseye, Hot Shot coil, Spider Coil, 4x6 coil, 14 DD, D2, some others... Garrett Wall Detector

I stopped in at my local White's dealer earlier this week. He hasn't been able to keep the Coinmasters in stock! Apparently they are a very popular machine.
    From The Pacific Northwest to Orange County...
    White's XLT, Ace 250 - 2010 YTD $4.28

Yeah, Lex is definitely into detecting.... hook, line and sinker.
    She's such a cool person with a heart of gold (she gets that from her Dad )

It was hard telling if she was into detecting for her dad's sake, but she's definitely into it.
    She even has a coin collection she never told us about until now. It's oddball stuff, but if she's hanging onto coins from years and years ago in a can somewhere, you know she's gonna be into this. I'm glad we waited a few years before buying her a detector, but I really wish we had known sooner. She's already making plans for spring to go find someone's ring that was chucked years ago, she's scoping out places to go detecting.... yup... she's hooked.

The Coinmaster really is a good machine. It'll require another coil, though, if she wants to do wet saltwater sand. No biggie.

That's really great! Enjoy this time while it's here. My daughter loved detecting with me, and I got a detector just for her. But then she became a teen and friends, phones, work, and parties all got in the way. That's just life. Enjoy the detecting time with her while it's here.
    Minelab E-Trac, Sunray X-1 probe
    White's SM2
    White's SM PI pro

Check out my treasure hunting videos at http://www.youtube.com/user/TheSilverFiend

http://www.facebook.com/pages/The-Si...03270629825473

http://www.thesilverfiend.com

I've heard that the Coinmaster is selling fast. I think someone on here ordered one a week or so ago. Will be good to hear a review
    Minelab E-Trac/Sun Ray X-1 -- Minelab Sovereign GT/Sun Ray S-1 -- White's v3i/Sun Ray DX-1
    Fisher CZ3D -- Tesoro Tiger Shark -- Garrett ACE 250

I can offer our experience with it for what little time we used it, but we really didn't play with it enough to give it a good run. It was dead on with the coins she found and it was good about disc out trash, I'll give it that. In my humble opinion, it's not a low end performer.... the thing's performance is worth more than its price tag, based on what I've seen anyway. Will try to offer more when we can, if we get out to some beaches this winter, if not it'll be spring.

Quote Originally Posted by Snowy View Post
    In my humble opinion, it's not a low end performer.... the thing's performance is worth more than its price tag, based on what I've seen anyway.
    I bet it was designed to be better than the price tag. It must be a direct response to the Ace 250, which many said was better than the $200.00 price for it. Companies compete like that all the time. I guess you win then lol
    Finding relics is in my blood

GPX 5000, CTX 3030, E Trac, Vista Gold