Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Digging for Kids

Re: Digging for Kids

Quote Originally Posted by Beefcake View Post
    The larger charities have much more of a handle on how to best help than perhaps I do...
    Not sure that is true Brian. You see a need in your community, in your classroom, and you help directly. That is the best help. The larger charities are good in general but it isn't always possible to know where the money is going... sometimes with the bigger charities there is a lot of overhead that has to be taken care of too.
    Minelab E-Trac/Sun Ray X-1 -- Minelab Sovereign GT/Sun Ray S-1 -- White's v3i/Sun Ray DX-1
    Fisher CZ3D -- Tesoro Tiger Shark -- Garrett ACE 250

I'm trying to take donations for this particular set of kids for this Christmas, and you're right Angie... it's an all year thing! I set a deadline of the 16th to send out donations for this particular situation so I can get the gifts for them before Christmas. If anyone, and some of you already have, want to send something along... please PM me and I'll give you my address to send it to. Time is getting short and we've made a great amount already that will truly make a difference in the lives of these kids!
    CTX 3030, Garrett Propointer
    2013 Silver count: 27
    2012 Silver count: 30
    2011 Silver count: 58
    2010 Silver count: 77

Quote Originally Posted by Epi-hunter View Post
    Not sure that is true Brian. You see a need in your community, in your classroom, and you help directly. That is the best help. The larger charities are good in general but it isn't always possible to know where the money is going... sometimes with the bigger charities there is a lot of overhead that has to be taken care of too.

Yep, I second that. Sometimes the money gets lost in the big picture. Besides, a large charity could never find this one family among a million others. You can make a direct, personal impact on them.
    Finding relics is in my blood

GPX 5000, CTX 3030, E Trac, Vista Gold

$570 as of 12/15 Wooohoo!!!

$570 as of 12/15 Wooohoo!!!
    That's great Brian... you should be able to do a lot with that!

I have to again commend you for being a teacher, by the way. I just spent the last two frustrating hours helping my daughter with her math homework. :bangahead01: I don't know if it's that I lack patience (which is true ) or that she hates math (which is definitely true ) but for some reason, trying to explain math concepts to a third grader is enough to make me feel as if I were recovering from a cerebral bypass operation.
    Minelab E-Trac/Sun Ray X-1 -- Minelab Sovereign GT/Sun Ray S-1 -- White's v3i/Sun Ray DX-1

It's funny you say that... after teaching all day, I hate doing homework with my own kid. It's easier to explain to a class than it is to your own kids... go figure! Today I was teaching 3rd grade math to a new boy from Pakistan that has ZERO english speaking skills... Now that was tough!

It's funny you say that... after teaching all day, I hate doing homework with my own kid. It's easier to explain to a class than it is to your own kids... go figure! Today I was teaching 3rd grade math to a new boy from Pakistan that has ZERO english speaking skills... Now that was tough!
    I would never survive one day doing what you do. stretcher:

The problem is, my daughter will listen in class (sometimes) but doesn't want to listen to me. Squirming, sighing, whimpering, balling up the paper, throwing the pencil... :-\

my daughter did that tonight... This is why I am a big opponent of home schooling... kids know how to play their parents and it ends up being frustrating. We as parents will often times help our kids with tears more than we would other kids. I have had the pleasure of teaching my daughter's class a few times. It is very very hard to do.. It's not because my daughter done anything wrong, it's just because it bothered me to see my daughter struggle with things and at home I'd get on her because I know she can do it, but I didn't want to do that in front of her class. I've told them that I didn't want to do that anymore because I have a really hard time separating being daddy from being the teacher. Don't feel bad Ang, even as teachers, we struggle with homework too...