Thread: Snow silver

Snow silver

Got a call from a customer of mine asking if my detector worked thru the snow...he wanted to find an old water line. I went down there and swung over 2 inches of snow and spent about a half hour....never did find the water line but did manage some clad and a 1943-S Washington quarter. Gave up after a half hour due to the fact I could no longer feel my fingertips after digging thru the snow and very wet and cold soil. Probably gonna be the last silver (or anything for that matter) for the year. >:\
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Re: Snow silver

if the water line is still in use it would have to be below the frost line ( about three feet deep or more) and i'm not sure you could even find it with a regular detector IH.
    "Honesty is an expensive gift ,
    so don't expect it from cheap people"

XP Deus II , DFX ,TDI sl -

Click here to view my finds album

Hey great score. Not many detectors will find a deep water pipe unless it's within around 15 or so. Most pipes are very deep and the unit I use is a Schonstedt magnetic locator (technically a flux-gate magnetometer lol) This is what the guys looking for well caps and pipes in the street use. If that pipe was deep, you could have been there all day and not found it, but I bet your silver count would have increased thumbsup01
    Finding relics is in my blood

GPX 5000, CTX 3030, E Trac, Vista Gold

Quote Originally Posted by del View Post
    if the water line is still in use it would have to be below the frost line ( about three feet deep or more) and i'm not sure you could even find it with a regular detector IH.
    That thought did cross my mind. The water line was only used in the summer and was drained in the fall so we were hoping it was not dug too deeply and that laziness overcame worries about frost...

Veteran Member

Congrats on the silver. Nice little bonus after the season seems over.
    Oldest: 1755 Spanish silver; 1800 half dime | 1842 seated half | 1857 seated quarter | 516 silver coins in 2011!

Congrats on the silver! I think most of us are in the same boat for the rest of the year!

Nice hit on that silver quarter. thumbsup01

You were at least rewarded for giving it a shot.
    [move]White’s MXT Minelab E-Trac Oldest coin: 1875 Indian Head Cent Oldest Silver Coin: 1886 Seated Liberty Dime[/move]

Nice find! Tough going, but worth it.
    MXT, Explorer SE Pro

Nice find considering it's so darn cold out and I dispise the cold..
    Minelab E-Trac
    Whites DFX
    Garrett Pro Pointer

Nice finds in adverse conditions... too bad the water line was not found. Any reason they cannot trace it back from the house? RickO
    Spectra V3, DFX, Surf Dual PI, Surf Pro, GMT, TDI, DX-1, Coiltek, Pistol Probe, Bullseye, Hot Shot coil, Spider Coil, 4x6 coil, 14 DD, D2, some others... Garrett Wall Detector

A nice reward for getting out in the cold. If it is a metal water line you might be able to find it with a couple of bent coat hanger wires used as a dowsing rod. I know it works as I have seen it done. Hey its worth a shot. thumbsup01
    Minelab ETrac,Whites BH-ID, Fisher F2, Vibraprobe PP,Bullseye II PP.

don't know if it will work in the cold but I've seen a guy find lost water line using two L-shaped wires made from like a coat hanger thickness wire.he held them loosely and they crossed when over the pipe.I know I couldn't believe it and I was standing with in 3-4 ft of him but we dug down and sure enough there it was.also as a kid when on farm the neighbor found water with a V shaped apple branch-we put well right where she said and there was plenty of water -dowsing its called
    knowledge that isn't passed on is wasted