Thread: Is this what EMI does to V3i?

Is this what EMI does to V3i?

So I am in this park next to these huge power lines and a railroad nearby. As I approached the area near the powerlines my machine started freaking out. In Polar mode the green bar was just a big circle. The machine would not shut up. Is that an indication of EMI? or some other anomoly? I did two things to quiet it down. Both worked. One..I took it out of 3 frequency mode and put it into 22.5 only. It quieted down. I then put it back into 3 frequency mode and put the offset at +3. It quieted down as well but not quite as much as putting it into the single freq mode. I just wasn't sure if it was voltage drop from the batteries, or interferance. I could hit different spots within a few feet and it would go away. I am pretty new to this hobby. First time this has happened. I thought my machine was broke.
    White's V3i/Fisher F4/ Garrett Pinpointer Pro/ Lesche Digger

Re: Is this what EMI does to V3i?

Yup, sounds like the emi demon. Usually frequency offset up/down till quiet will work - lower sensitivities help/smaller coils help/concentric coils help/sometimes different filter/sometimes salt comp mode/sometimes single freq 22.5 most stable. Find what works and you're in business - hope you get er figured out - good luck!

There is no way I can hunt near an electric fence or cell phone tower with mine. It will not quit with the noise so I have to pack up and do another location.
    One find at a time.

Veteran Member

yup . mine will flat freak out in heavy emi especially since i use the d2 COIL . .. i just move on
    im an american proud and free, a son of the south dont tread on me

Wrap the control box and d2 coil in aluminum foil. That will get rid of the EMI. lol :bangshead02: lol

Seriously, turn down sensitivity, gain and go with 1 frequency.
    Metal Detector, Inline Pinpointer, 6th Sense

Quote Originally Posted by midas View Post
    Wrap the control box and d2 coil in aluminum foil. That will get rid of the EMI. lol :bangshead02: lol
    rofl rofl rofl rofl rofl rofl <}
    Having fun is what it is all about!