Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: lets see your best find of 09

lets see your best find of 09

O.k folks for alot of you the season is just about or is over because of the dreaded white plague and bone chilling temps. so i'd like to see what your best find of 2009 is ( and for those that are still detecting in the warmer climates well you got 3 weeks to come up with a good one so this thread could run awhile) now this find could be any category ( coin, jewelry, relic ,don't matter) but single find unless multiple items were found at the same time ( like a cache) .

so lets see'em

treasure hunters
    "Honesty is an expensive gift ,
    so don't expect it from cheap people"

XP Deus II , DFX ,TDI sl -

Click here to view my finds album

Re: lets see your best find of 09

Not being a smarty but here's mine.
    I'm tickled to death with climbing that learning curve and seeing what a machine of this caliber can do...
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Wishin I was a dirt fishin!

Jack, Don't show Del that machine.... he may start calling you E-Boy like he does me lol He has a hard time letting go of his machine But I agree, that is one sweet find thumbsup01
    Finding relics is in my blood

GPX 5000, CTX 3030, E Trac, Vista Gold

Quote Originally Posted by Jack Flynn View Post
    Not being a smarty but here's mine.
    I'm tickled to death with climbing that learning curve and seeing what a machine of this caliber can do...
    Jack that is a great thing to find , hope you learn it fast and it is good to you

Quote Originally Posted by coinnut View Post
    Jack, Don't show Del that machine.... he may start calling you E-Boy like he does me lol He has a hard time letting go of his machine But I agree, that is one sweet find thumbsup01
    come on i wouldn't do that , but it does seem like the e-tracs are taking over the world lately.

This is my best find of the year I guess,best coin anyway.Was less than 3 inches deep.Was found in a old park that gave up nothing else to a friend and I that hunted it for a couple hours apiece.The only thing I could figure was everyone that passed over it before me thought it to be big iron or a pop can ,who knows. But it sure looks good in my stash. H.H. Yazoo

wow stretcher: that is truely a beautiful coin Yazoo , first year of the Barber to. those are the kind of finds that make ya comming back for more. congrats

Veteran Member

Tough to choose from among 4 different finds, but this will be a nice coin if I ever work the dirt off . Especially considering how copper usually comes out of the ground here. (I really don't want to use olive oil; I haven't liked the way its worked on my worthless coppers, any advice appreciated)
    Oldest: 1755 Spanish silver; 1800 half dime | 1842 seated half | 1857 seated quarter | 516 silver coins in 2011!

Wow, nice coins! I can't compete with you people!

Even though it's not in the best shape, the 1854 half dime on the top is my favorite find of the year. When I found it, detecting at a park with Angel, I had to ask him what it was... had never seen one before lol

Minelab E-Trac/Sun Ray X-1 -- Minelab Sovereign GT/Sun Ray S-1 -- White's v3i/Sun Ray DX-1
    Fisher CZ3D -- Tesoro Tiger Shark -- Garrett ACE 250

Quote Originally Posted by randy View Post
    Tough to choose from among 4 different finds, but this will be a nice coin if I ever work the dirt off . Especially considering how copper usually comes out of the ground here. (I really don't want to use olive oil; I haven't liked the way its worked on my worthless coppers, any advice appreciated)
    Randy that is an extremely nice half cent , for some reason we don't see to many of them up this way and the one i did find this year was toast congratulations , i'm not sure i would clean that one

Quote Originally Posted by Epi-hunter View Post
    Wow, nice coins! I can't compete with you people!

Even though it's not in the best shape, the 1854 half dime on the top is my favorite find of the year. When I found it, detecting at a park with Angel, I had to ask him what it was... had never seen one before lol

half dimes are very fun to find but tiny coins , they are usually very worn too but ya got yourself one with alot of detail Angie WTG thumbsup01. everyone i found i first though they were a button because of the size. congrats to you

Hey Angie?? Is there a mint mark on that Half Dime?? If not, it may be a rare variety. Breen's lists one variety as Rare. It states Date overlaps base. It doesn't say this on the other more common varieties of the 1854, but it may be on those too. Also is the edge of the coin reeded?? Some other varieties were struck in Argentan (a kind of German silver). So it may be a rare one indeed lol Don't want to get your hopes up, since Breen's doesn't list every variety of the common ones, but it is worth finding a coin web site and sending some pictures in. Breen's lists it as (Breen # 3069) and also as V-1; Neil 3 (for the guy who discovered it - W.W. Neil). So that's all I have to say lol

That half dime sure looks like the rare variety - base overlapping the date. See this example Angie.

That really is a beautiful coin. You had one great and fun detecting day. thumbsup01

Well, I just got back into detecting at the end this year, so I haven't made many finds. Only 5 silver dimes, none of them older than a Merc. But I would have to say that the thing thing I've found this year is this....

http://www.americandetectorist.com/forum/index.php

Great people, and lots of motivation to keep going back out!
    Minelab E-Trac, Sunray X-1 probe
    White's SM2
    White's SM PI pro

Check out my treasure hunting videos at http://www.youtube.com/user/TheSilverFiend

http://www.facebook.com/pages/The-Si...03270629825473

http://www.thesilverfiend.com

Quote Originally Posted by Jason in Enid View Post
    Well, I just got back into detecting at the end this year, so I haven't made many finds. Only 5 silver dimes, none of them older than a Merc. But I would have to say that the thing thing I've found this year is this....

http://www.americandetectorist.com/forum/index.php

Great people, and lots of motivation to keep going back out!
    i couldn't argue with that Jason , great place with some outstanding people to socialize with

Epi, That is a awesome quartet you featured there. H.H. Yazoo

Quote Originally Posted by yazoo View Post
    Epi, That is a awesome quartet you featured there. H.H. Yazoo
    Thanks. It was an unforgettable day for me

There is no mint mark on the half dime, and it does appear to be the more rare version with the date too high. Too bad it's not in better condition
    Minelab E-Trac/Sun Ray X-1 -- Minelab Sovereign GT/Sun Ray S-1 -- White's v3i/Sun Ray DX-1

Quote Originally Posted by Epi-hunter View Post
    There is no mint mark on the half dime, and it does appear to be the more rare version with the date too high. Too bad it's not in better condition
    Condition is less important for rare items. Not saying it doesn't play a part in the final price lol but try selling a 1954 Washington quarter with a scratch on it or try selling a 1877 Indian head penny with a scratch on it. Guess which one still sells??

This is a tricky subject.

It is hard to try and figure out what my best find is.Depends on age, value,historical significance and so on.
    So I will just post my favorite find,a 1902 Morgan Dollar.
    This being that it was my first big Silver I dug.Every target in the past that rang up as big silver was always big disappointment.
    For every relic that rots away........a piece of history is lost.

Sweet Silver dollar John!! Not only was it really a silver dollar that time, but one in excellent shape thumbsup01

wow John thats a real looker of a morgan ya got there , i have yet to get a dollar coin. congrats on that beauty .

That is a beautiful morgan! thumbsup01