Thread: Help finding Gold w/ the SE

Help finding Gold w/ the SE

Not many deep coins at my local hunting spot...a schoolyard closed a few years back. I would like to switch gears and try to find some gold w/o digging everything and avoiding as many pulltabs as possible. I like ferrous sounds but would move on if someone has a valid technique.

I appreciate any guidance as usual.

HH

Aaron
    And now the metal detectorist pledge.
    "I pledge to do my honor, to do my best AND seriously investigate ALL deep signals!"

Minelab SE (Is there really any other manufacturer?) 2011 totals = 24 silver coins, 3 LC,1 war of 1812 artillary button , 1 token, 6 IH pennies, 1 2 cent piece

Re: Help finding Gold w/ the SE

I much prefer ferrous sounds on the SE too, but primarily when looking for silver and the high tones. When seeking out the lower and mid-tones, you might be better off to switch to conductive.

The SE is not great with gold. Do you have the Pro coil or the original one?
    Minelab E-Trac/Sun Ray X-1 -- Minelab Sovereign GT/Sun Ray S-1 -- White's v3i/Sun Ray DX-1
    Fisher CZ3D -- Tesoro Tiger Shark -- Garrett ACE 250

Stock coil with several other smaller coils. Conductive is fine if it will give me an edge. I have seen digital charts for gold readings, but there are so many I sure would like to refine a technique.

With the price of gold, it is certainly worth attempting to find it in parks and schoolyards.

Not sure if you have seen this chart, but it is extensive.

I used to think, dig all nickel signals, however, it is much more difficult that that.

It is interesting and notable that before I had the SE, my machine had no ID or depth guage. Although can operate with more reassurance that I am digging something desired with more probability, I certainly dig far lees jewelry. Even a very light, nasty 10k bracelet I found a few years agao brought $26. I am certain that we all pass up gold on a regular basis.

Reminds me of the old saying he steps over dollar bills to pick up pennies

Aaron
    And now the metal detectorist pledge.
    "I pledge to do my honor, to do my best AND seriously investigate ALL deep signals!"

Minelab SE (Is there really any other manufacturer?) 2011 totals = 24 silver coins, 3 LC,1 war of 1812 artillary button , 1 token, 6 IH pennies, 1 2 cent piece

I used Angie's SE for a short time, and I ended up loving the machine. Unfortunately, I didn't do much in the way of hunting for gold with it, nor did I try ferrous mode. I prefer the conductive setting myself. I do know that whenever the SE did hit on a nickel, I had high confidence that it was a nickel, so it should apply to some of those gold rings that fall within that range.