Thread: Saturday's Colonial hunt

Saturday's Colonial hunt

Del and I started out around 6AM, and we were detecting as soon as it was light lol For the first half of the hunt we went to a hole I really had high hopes for. But now that the snow is mostly gone, you could see that it was used as a trash dump So that takes care of looking close to the lip of the hole for those good buttons Even though I wasn't too sure about this hole now, it produced more than the second hole we went to today, which was the 3 copper hole from yesterday Got two nice buttons, a small copper ring, an 1865 2 cent piece, and a 1883 Indian head penny from the first hole. The other one produced ONE small button lol That's about it for me. 6 hours hunting and just a couple of keepers. But I did get lots of trash for my recycling venture But that's a different story. It was still fun and I got my needed exercise.
    Attached Images Attached Images   
    Finding relics is in my blood

GPX 5000, CTX 3030, E Trac, Vista Gold

Re: Saturday's Colonial hunt

Nice!! I can only dream of a 2 Center!!
    SeabeeRon on the beach in Santa Cruz,CA.

6 hours hunting and just a couple of keepers That two cent piece alone would make my year. Very nice!
    Minelab E-Trac/Sun Ray X-1 -- Minelab Sovereign GT/Sun Ray S-1 -- White's v3i/Sun Ray DX-1
    Fisher CZ3D -- Tesoro Tiger Shark -- Garrett ACE 250

Nice job George!!! I also love the 2 center. I only have found 1 and just may be my favorite coin find
    Having fun is what it is all about!

nice indian and 2 center George thumbsup01 i sure thought that first new site would produce a little more well maybe once all the snow is gone

heres a picture of the first site , we were not sure how old this little cellar site was at first . after showing what we found ( pewter button , musket trigger guard ) we were pretty sure it was a colonial . the problem with this site is it was overgrown with pine tree sapplings :bangahead01: :bangahead01: and still alot of snow on the ground and alot of dumping in the 20's and 30's . i found the trigger guard ,a pocket watch bezel and an unfamiliar little buckle as well as two buttons and the clover motif heel plate , Coinnut picked up the indian and two center

the next site we went back to where George got the three coppers and it proved my theory Coinnut is more lucky than good lol lol
    i picked up the small hatchet , a pewter spoon bowl alot of misc. brass pieces and 3 more buttons

and heres the dirty finds

the little buckle didn't look like much (and i didn't think it was that old either)

until i cleaned it up , wow it has some older hand tooled designs that were gold gilted and they really lit up nice

and i was very pleased with the trigger guard as its got a nice distinct type of designed end so identifying it to a particular musket will be possible (i'm betting on it being pre- 1790's)

well thats it for me , for the record i did get a coin ... a wheatie (1922 that was shot by a .22 bullet) lol lol

Dan
    "Honesty is an expensive gift ,
    so don't expect it from cheap people"

XP Deus II , DFX ,TDI sl -

Click here to view my finds album

not a bad day guys at all! congrats on the 2 center G! Dan that buckle and trigger guard are sweet!
    2008-14 coppers
    2009-32 coppers
    2010-34 coppers 2-GW buttons
    2011- 80 & 3/4 coppers 1-GW button
    2012- 92 coppers/large cents 1-GW button
    2013- 57 1/4 coppers 6- GW Buttons
    2014- 69 coppers 1-GW button
    2015- 20 1/4 coppers
    2016-44 coppers 1-GW button
    2017-19 & 1/2 coppers
    2018-19 coppers 1-GW
    2019-5 coppers
    click to see my photo album

A great bunch of relics fellas!

Nice 2 center George !! Man I wanna find one of those things sooo bad !!
    Nice finds!

Dan that's a cool looking buckle!! I never would've guessed it would have that kind of detail on it! Thats cool! 8) Is that gold gilding in the detail?
    I like the heel plate too! Another killer find I'll probably never see around here crying01 lol

Nice outing boys!!
    It's good to see you boys <: happydance02 rather than :bangahead01: like you've been all winter with all that snow and .
    Congrats guys!
    Some days you get the corn, some days you get the cob
    ​Oldest coin: ​70 B.C. "Harlow Flyer" gold qtr. Stater
    Oldest U.S. coin: 1814 Capped Bust Dime

Quote Originally Posted by Ill Digger View Post
    Nice 2 center George !! Man I wanna find one of those things sooo bad !!
    Nice finds!

Dan that's a cool looking buckle!! I never would've guessed it would have that kind of detail on it! Thats cool! 8) Is that gold gilding in the detail?
    I like the heel plate too! Another killer find I'll probably never see around here crying01 lol

Nice outing boys!!
    It's good to see you boys <: happydance02 rather than :bangahead01: like you've been all winter with all that snow and .
    Congrats guys!
    thanks Tim , the whole buckle was at one time gold gilted , plated or washed and now all that remains is the gilting in the tooled recesses
    "Honesty is an expensive gift ,
    so don't expect it from cheap people"

XP Deus II , DFX ,TDI sl -

Click here to view my finds album

Quote Originally Posted by del View Post
    thanks Tim , the whole buckle was at one time gold gilted , plated or washed and now all that remains is the gilting in the tooled recesses
    OK. It almost looks as if it were meant to be like that. It cleaned up nice and the picture turn out nice too!!
    Cool find!
    Some days you get the corn, some days you get the cob
    ​Oldest coin: ​70 B.C. "Harlow Flyer" gold qtr. Stater
    Oldest U.S. coin: 1814 Capped Bust Dime

Thanks everyone on the comments. Here is a picture of the new hole we discovered just that day which only produced a whopping small button for me lol
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Speaking as ignorant California Beach guy, what about the spot told you it was a cellar hole??!?
    SeabeeRon on the beach in Santa Cruz,CA.

Quote Originally Posted by SeabeeRon View Post
    Speaking as ignorant California Beach guy, what about the spot told you it was a cellar hole??!?
    It's definitely not the best picture of that site lol The GPS doesn't have a zoom feature so it just gives you a broad shot. In the real world, that pile is a collapsed chimney and all around it there is a depression lined with rocks (some visible, some not) So if you saw it in person, you would recognize it as a hole. But sometimes, the older sites are just rectangular depressions in the ground and don't show their true identity too well. Usually, Dan takes the pictures with a good camera, but it was in the Jeep for some strange reason lol

You guys found some serious keepers.
    I'd love to get one of those 2 centers. Awesome on the trigger The trigger guard

Joe

Love the 2 cent and the heel plate !! Great day out for sure. <: <: <: <:
    Someday, I wanna be a vampire

Elite Member

Nice day of digs...of course that is some great old coinage George found, but Dan, that trigger guard is awsome! thumbsup01
    2014 Goals: 20 Silver, 5 Large Coppers, 1 Gold Coin (not anticipating being able to detect much this year; NEW BABY HERE!!)
    So Far: (0) Silver; (2) KG, LC 1807; (2) IH; (3) Buff

2013 Total: 36 Silver; 5LC (including 1 FUGIO)
    2012 Total:101 Silver; 11 LC

great hunt and nice pic's thumbsup01
    M6 / DX-1 / 6x10 DD & M6/DX-1/ stock coil
    Pontiac IL.