Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: This Forum Has Gotten So Slow...

This Forum Has Gotten So Slow...

...that I've recently began posting a little again on that other site where many of us whites people came from. Where did all of the original zeal go from this site? It can't purely be the off season of THing due to winter, cuz the other site is running rampant with posts, plus I have had made posts here with no responses, for days. It is an observation I've personally made, and it puzzles me. Where is everyone? martin

Veteran Member

Re: This Forum Has Gotten So Slow...

i think this is a great site , i get great responce and advice , so..... i mstaying here.

and it isnt slow for me at all
    Minelab E-Track ,Minelab SE, with stock coil, 10/12 sef coil , sunray 8 inch coil

silver count: 2011, 117 silvers , 20 indian heads

Veteran Member

maybe you should liven things up by finding a barber half
    im an american proud and free, a son of the south dont tread on me

I think it is because there was so much more activity over the winter than usual, that made it appears slow. As for the other site, it was very slow after everyone left and now it's only natural that it will appear hopping lol Me personally, I have lots more to do as Spring arrives and have less time to reply. I think a lot of other people have things to do too, so it may take a while to get replies to some posts. I've missed a lot lately and it isn't because I don't want to reply.
    Finding relics is in my blood

GPX 5000, CTX 3030, E Trac, Vista Gold

maybe the newness is just wearing off a little Martin. lol lol i'm sorry you feel that way but it still feels like the the same forum to me as it did before , the only exception is its a little more crowded with new names and faces is all. most of the boards are talking more about finds and detecting pictures than a month or two ago . i myself try not to post or answer every single post as to me that would seem disingenuous , especially about subjects i'm not strong on or things i'm not really interested in . i try to help when i can though.

Dan
    "Honesty is an expensive gift ,
    so don't expect it from cheap people"

XP Deus II , DFX ,TDI sl -

Click here to view my finds album

Quote Originally Posted by del View Post
    maybe the newness is just wearing off a little Martin. lol lol i'm sorry you feel that way but it still feels like the the same forum to me as it did before , the only exception is its a little more crowded with new names and faces is all. most of the boards are talking more about finds and detecting pictures than a month or two ago . i myself try not to post or answer every single post as to me that would seem disingenuous , especially about subjects i'm not strong on or things i'm not really interested in . i try to help when i can though.

Dan
    The main disparity is when you search for today's posts since last visit within different sites. This one here maybes has at most, six, but most always only three. I admit that I check every 12 hours or so, but finds and that other board has tons of daily messages, no matter the question/subject matter. I won't beat a dead horse any longer, yet there has been a big drop here IMPO. Just do simple, new post search since last visit once a day, then the same thing on other THing sites, and see if I'm not right. martin

Quote Originally Posted by MartinL View Post
    The main disparity is when you search for today's posts since last visit within different sites. This one here maybes has at most, six, but most always only three. I admit that I check every 12 hours or so, but finds and that other board has tons of daily messages, no matter the question/subject matter. I won't beat a dead horse any longer, yet there has been a big drop here IMPO. Just do simple, new post search since last visit once a day, then the same thing on other THing sites, and see if I'm not right. martin
    Come on Martin, you are not seriously comparing a forum that has less than 700 members and has been online for just over a year to those having thousands of members and with many years on the web, are you? Can you really say that's a fair comparison?

American Detectorist - Members: 696

Friendly metal detecting forum - Members: 15,739

Treasure Quest - Members: 13,082

TreasureNet - Members: 46,488

White's Forum - Members: 6,846

And yet the activity here, relative to the amount of active members, has been great, with many members participating on a regular basis. They are not just lurkers, but are actually involved, assisting others, sharing their knowledge, and posting excellent finds. Too, our team of moderators is an active one, posting regularly and ensuring this forum remains a fun place to visit. They have proven to be friendly, professional, and fair when interacting with other members, something I personally have often seen lacking at other forums.

Your statement that this one here maybes has at most, six, but most always only three has me baffled, as it does not at all correlate with what I see each day. I see plenty of activity each and every day. There are many posts in fact. In any case, compare the activity to other forums having a similar number of members. I'm sure you will see a major difference.

Would I love to see more activity? Of course. But I for one am pleased with the level of activity given the small membership. thumbsup01

Quote Originally Posted by russellt View Post
    maybe you should liven things up by finding a barber half
    lol good one Russell! I'll go try to find something good today too- try to liven things up with the cache that's calling my name lol thumbsup01

Quote Originally Posted by angellionel View Post

Would I love to see more activity? Of course. But I for one am pleased with the level of activity given the small membership. thumbsup01
    On a sentimental note- I think Angel and Angie deserve big kudos for starting up this site. It's home away from home for me and I know many others...
    Oldest silver-- 1838o seated dime (no stars)
    Oldest copper-- 1820 LC

White's V3i, Coinmaster, XLT, Prism IV, Whites new TRX PP- Love it!!! Garretts PP

Where is everyone? martin
    ... Not sure about everyone else, but I'm right here. lol
    I'll get out this afternoon and find a silver for your viewing pleasure. thumbsup01

I think most everyone is out there hunting. You are going to see some great stuff posted by our members in the next few weeks. Hang in there, with spring now landing on almost everybody's doorstep... it's going to get interesting here.

Quote Originally Posted by tanacat View Post
    It's home away from home for me and I know many others...
    Count me as an 'other'.

696 members Angel? Did you count my split personality? You see, my wife thinks I'm crazy for always wanting to go MDing. I tell her it's not me, it's my split personality. So you see, I count as TWO members (and proud too)!
    Oldest Coin: 100-60 BC Gallic bronze coin (Sequani Tribe)
    Oldest Silver Coin: 1156 hammered Pfennig from (now) Bavaria
    Oldest U.S. coin: 1805 Draped Bust Large Cent
    Best Coins EVER: 1625 4 Sols from Kingdom of Chateau Renaud, France
    1662 15 Kreuzers, Leopold I, Austria
    Best Relics: Bronze Age Arrowheads & Spearhead, 2c Roman silver ring, complete medieval knight's spur (x6)
    YouTube Channel: Full Metal Digger

Quote Originally Posted by tanacat View Post
    On a sentimental note- I think Angel and Angie deserve big kudos for starting up this site. It's home away from home for me and I know many others...
    Thanks Tana, but the forum is a result of Angel's hard work and dedication. He has done a great job And the moderator team is the best

I should have replied to this thread yesterday but frankly I was shocked that anyone would propose to compare such apples and oranges as this forum to others out there. Angel said it better than I ever could have.
    Minelab E-Trac/Sun Ray X-1 -- Minelab Sovereign GT/Sun Ray S-1 -- White's v3i/Sun Ray DX-1
    Fisher CZ3D -- Tesoro Tiger Shark -- Garrett ACE 250

I think the quality of our members' posts is pretty high when compared some other forums with which I've been associated...as a member and a moderator.

Forums are often different things to different people. Personally, I like to read posts and see pictures of finds, but don't feel obligated to say WTG! just to increase my post count or the number of new posts since last log-in. For example, when I see a post comprised of five silver coins by an experienced MD'er, I don't feel obligated to post a reply. That's not to say that I don't enjoy looking at the finds...I do.

When someone asks a technical question which I know the answer, but someone else has already posted a complete answer, I don't feel the need to re-hash the answer again just to make the thread longer. If I have something valid to add to the answer, I'll post. Otherwise, I'll leave it alone.

When newbies join, we all have the opportunity to offer advice and share our technical expertise. I once was a moderator on a forum where my job was to post Welcome to the forum. to every new introduction. I, personally, don't do that unless I really have something to say.

That's me. Others see the forums as a social thing...commenting on any-and-everything anyone posts. That's fine too. For those folks, the forum offers plenty of opportunities for social interaction.

&quotifferent strokes for different folks. thumbsup01

I've traveled a long way, and many of the roads weren't paved.

I'm not a big time poster but this the only site I look at everyday and met some great people that have helped me with the hobby.
    Minelab E-Trac, Minelab CTX 3030, XP Deus, Tesoro Cortes

Elite Member

I actually prefer the smaller forum, you get to know one another a bit more. It's more personal. I too have met some great people on this site, and I think Angel and all the other moderators do a great job!
    2014 Goals: 20 Silver, 5 Large Coppers, 1 Gold Coin (not anticipating being able to detect much this year; NEW BABY HERE!!)
    So Far: (0) Silver; (2) KG, LC 1807; (2) IH; (3) Buff

2013 Total: 36 Silver; 5LC (including 1 FUGIO)
    2012 Total:101 Silver; 11 LC

...that I've recently began posting a little again on that other site where many of us whites people came from. Where did all of the original zeal go from this site? It can't purely be the off season of THing due to winter, cuz the other site is running rampant with posts, plus I have had made posts here with no responses, for days. It is an observation I've personally made, and it puzzles me. Where is everyone? martin
    Martin I don't believe you said that!!! This is an awesome forum to me and has gotten to feeling a whole lot more like home with each new day the Lord has given to us. All the members here have made us other worldly folks feel down right welcome...like come on in sit a spell I'll pour us a cup of coffee lets talk detecting, I don't always post on everything especially when there are already four or five WTG's or the question is already answered. Reading the stories and looking at the pictures is a real encouragement to me. I for one do not have the time to sit and post something on every post out there. If I post something and only one person has posted to it the next thing I look at is how many folks has viewed my post that in itself is really cool. If I am bored, God forbid, I dig down, I mean dig all the way down to the very first posts if that helps, and read what others have experienced and or found. That can take a long time.......I sure hope you can start getting out and hunting more it may help how you feel.... thumbsup01

I must have caught the forum on a lull, because there is many daily posts now. I also totally concur that a lot the WTG replies aren't my cup of tea. I probably spend way too much time in front of the computer. My bad for making the comparison between boards. It's all Mel's fault for evaporating here lately ;-) martin

I must have caught the forum on a lull, because there is many daily posts now. I also totally concur that a lot the WTG replies aren't my cup of tea. I probably spend way too much time in front of the computer. My bad for making the comparison between boards. It's all Mel's fault for evaporating here lately ;-) martin
    No Problem my friend, we all get a bad case of cabin fever even down south with out the snow.. lol lol lol Glad that things are looking up for you..... thumbsup01 thumbsup01 thumbsup01 thumbsup01

hey Martin
    and to anyone else that is interested , this is something else that i think also needs to be brought up.

i think one of the most impressive things about this forum is the fact the Owner/Administrator 's are not only very active on this forum on a daily basis but actually detect and post pictures of their finds regulary . you just don't see that kind of dedication to the hobby and personal interaction on other forums \ \, plus the time and work they put into the forum itself its virtually unheard of on some boards , i know because i use to belong to such forums . the same can be said about my fellow Moderators who are all very professional and are regular detectorists and actively persue the hobby and put in alot of time behind the scenes at American Detectorist to help in keeping this place running smoothly . Great job to all my Mod homies out there .

Dan
    "Honesty is an expensive gift ,
    so don't expect it from cheap people"

XP Deus II , DFX ,TDI sl -

Click here to view my finds album

It is a WORLD of difference here.....so what if a couple of days there isn't as many posts as other daysthinkingabout:?
    Super great people on here, the mods are all been very nice and friendly, and more information from a lot of different detector users that will help you out if needed. Is the other place like that...nope !!!!

Angel and his crew have one great forum here. Better than quite a few of those larger well known ones.
    Comparing this forum to that other place, just because of how many posts are put up during the day is

I could say more--- but it might get me in trouble so I will keep my mouth shut....

I've had a few slow days in the last few weeks---- but the weather is getting better and I have been trying to get out detect and post.......even if it is clad coins.
    Robbie
    author of "Find More Silver Coinshooting Parks and Schools" by Robbie Morin
    contributor to- Camp Logan: Houston, Texas 1917-1919-by Louis Aulbach, Linda Gorski and Robbie Morin

Quote Originally Posted by jkress View Post
    I'll get out this afternoon and find a silver for your viewing pleasure. thumbsup01
    Sorry... didn't get that silver coin today. I had one hour to hunt and that was reduced to about 30 minutes because of chatty, interested onlookers. lol

I am on the other side of the coin from some. I do like to reply to fellow hunters finds. For me, I figure if someone is going to take the time to photograph/video their hunt and post them here for everyone to enjoy... I like to show my appreciation for their efforts. thumbsup01