Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Silver On Two Cold Days

Re: Silver On Two Cold Days

Quote Originally Posted by HEAVYMETALNUT View Post
    more lousy silver huh?aren't ya gettin tired of diggin them shiny discs?
    you have truly been blessed this year for sure!
    awesome!
    I'm addicted, Dave!

I have to say, the E-Trac has allowed me to work areas where other detectors I have used tended to choke on the iron and heavy trash abounding at such sites. While I wouldn't presume to say that it is the best detector out there, I can definitely say that it is the best detector I have ever used. The machine has been paired with a wonderful coil, making it a combination hard to beat.

If they give themselves a fair chance to become acquainted with the machine, I have no doubt that experienced detectorists would be able to again pull desirable targets from the very trashy areas of their old hunting grounds.

Quote Originally Posted by angellionel View Post
    I'm addicted, Dave!
    wow , i don't know if Dave could actually relate to that

Quote Originally Posted by angellionel View Post
    I have to say, the E-Trac has allowed me to work areas where other detectors I have used tended to choke on the iron and heavy trash abounding at such sites. While I wouldn't presume to say that it is the best detector out there, I can definitely say that it is the best detector I have ever used. The machine has been paired with a wonderful coil, making it a combination hard to beat.

If they give themselves a fair chance to become acquainted with the machine, I have no doubt that experienced detectorists would be able to again pull desirable targets from the very trashy areas of their old hunting grounds.
    now Angel here's a question for you , do you think this coil helps with actually just id'ing good targets amongst iron (digging more good targets and ignoring iron)or it makes all the targets even iron ones sound a little better there for you find yourself digging a little more of the iron to get the goods. i used a 6x10 DD coil and it had very good seperation but i did notice i dug more iron (i think it made it sound more iffy instead of just a null)but also dug more good targets mixed with or even in the same hole as the iron , where as the standard coil is more acurrate in id'ing a target it falls alittle short in mixed targets signals and nulls more over iron so i dig alot less iron.

Quote Originally Posted by del View Post
    now Angel here's a question for you , do you think this coil helps with actually just id'ing good targets amongst iron (digging more good targets and ignoring iron)or it makes all the targets even iron ones sound a little better there for you find yourself digging a little more of the iron to get the goods. i used a 6x10 DD coil and it had very good seperation but i did notice i dug more iron (i think it made it sound more iffy instead of just a null)but also dug more good targets mixed with or even in the same hole as the iron , where as the standard coil is more acurrate in id'ing a target it falls alittle short in mixed targets signals and nulls more over iron so i dig alot less iron.
    It definitely helps in identifying good targets found among iron. I have experienced it many times. Of course, such good targets can still be easily missed if a fast sweep is used when working at heavily trashy areas. But on slow sweeps the E-Trac will sound off on the good target, though with somewhat of a broken tone on the initial sweep.

I recall one particular target at a park I had hit where the tone was somewhat broken on the initial sweep, but then the E-Trac provided a strong and consistently good tone when sweeping very slowly over the target. I was confident it was silver. Upon cutting the plug the first target I saw was a large and old rusted nail, larger than the square nails I have dug from such sites. Several inches below it there was a seated liberty dime. More recently I had a similar experience with a standing liberty quarter, but where the iron was a much larger piece.

I have used the stock coil exclusively, even at the trashiest of sites, and it has performed exceedingly well. But the barrage of tones can drive some batty if not used to dealing with such. I can 'tune out' most of the other tones, concentrating only on the ones that 'speak' to me. I think of it in terms of a crowded room where everyone is talking at the same time. It can be difficult to carry on a conversation, but I can still focus on just the one person with whom I am conversing and hear much of what is being said.

Angel,

Was wondering if you have much luck in the less trashy areas of the parks you regulary hunt. Or are those areas pretty much picked clean - what I'm getting at does the newest of machine's depth mean anything in these cleaner areas. Machine's Silver detection is better?? Or does your successful work lie in and amongst the trash where few others have dared to go? I'm interested in your opinion because I have older parks around me, probably much like ones in your area, that only give up the occassional clad. I know people have hit them hard in the past with stories of pails of silver coins found. My hope is that I can find the deeper ones missed in the past and secondly to find them in the trashy areas. One park I visit was and is regulary flooded so I'm thinking the older coins if any are beyond 8 down. Thanks for feedback.

Scott
    White's Spectra V3i "update", MXT, Prizm V, and Sun Ray Invader DX-1.
    Coils: stock 950 on MXT; 10" DD, Super 12, 950 Eclipse, and 4x6 DD Eclipse Shooter for the V3.

"The only person who never made a mistake never did anything!!"

Quote Originally Posted by xzlr8n View Post
    Angel,

Was wondering if you have much luck in the less trashy areas of the parks you regulary hunt. Or are those areas pretty much picked clean - what I'm getting at does the newest of machine's depth mean anything in these cleaner areas. Machine's Silver detection is better?? Or does your successful work lie in and amongst the trash where few others have dared to go? I'm interested in your opinion because I have older parks around me, probably much like ones in your area, that only give up the occassional clad. I know people have hit them hard in the past with stories of pails of silver coins found. My hope is that I can find the deeper ones missed in the past and secondly to find them in the trashy areas. One park I visit was and is regulary flooded so I'm thinking the older coins if any are beyond 8 down. Thanks for feedback.

Scott
    Oh, yes, I have had very good success at such sites, where being able to go deep is the primary concern. There may not be as many desirable targets at such relatively trash free locations since they may have been worked over the years by many experienced detectorists, but machines like the E-Trac would definitely make such sites worth hitting again.

I have gone over areas I have hit in past years and I have managed to dig up many deeply buried coins. I certainly would not shy away from such sites just because others have written them off as 'hunted out'. IMHO, detecting them while employing a grid is the way to work them.

I would also work the trashy areas of the old parks where you live. You would be surprised at what they may hold.