Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: New in Southwestern Pennsylvania

Re: New in Southwestern Pennsylvania

Quote Originally Posted by aloldstuff View Post
    Welcome, I am also from western ma. Also using a V3i w/wireless. I told myself that the first year I would just go with the stock programs, but after 2 weeks I think I lied to myself. Can't wait to see your finds and by the way those wireless are so comfortable that I forget to take them off when we are moving to another site.
    First time out today with the V3i. I gave it slightly over 3 hrs. at a pony league baseball / football field combo that is pretty old. In the old days - early 80's - I found a lot of silver and tons of clad. There's been people hitting that field complex on a regular basis after I stopped detecting in '84'. I would see them there on my way to the golf course.

Anyway, it is pretty trashy now, with all the sports activities going on. Finding any silver there is only going to happen with a lucky sweep. Knowing that it would pose a real challenge I decided to go there and I resolved myself to the fact that if I could find something with the new, complicated detector it would be a success.

Ended up with $1.83 ( 5 quarters, 5 dimes and 8 pennies - one was a wheat ). No silver. No gold. No jewelry. I am not complaining though with the results. Not worth taking a photo of though.

I went with the stock 'Coin & Jewelry' program and only changed the Threshold volume & tone and the Target tone - like RaZR suggested. I was surprised how constant the threshold is. I like it. I set the tones to mimic what I have on my Garrett ADS III detector so that part felt like home.

The identification worked great so I ended up only digging three junk targets ( maybe not totally junk. The pieces look like melted globs of white brass ) and one hole where I could not find anything. Probably way down in the hole is a Barber Half as I write this.

The biggest problem I had was pinpointing. This machine does not pinpoint like my Garrett does. With the Garrett pinpointing was precise, even with the large 12 coil. When you flipped a plug you knew the target was either dead center in the plug or dead center in the hole. Thousand of coins and I never came close to scratching one. Coin recovery was fast.
    With the V3i I spent an inordinate amount of time trying to find the coin :white:. Rarely was it exactly where I thought it should be. Several times it was on the side of the hole. Obviously I have to figure this out.
    I can see now why just about everyone has a Pinpointer nowadays. We never used them back years ago. Coin recovery was easy and fast - I think I said that.
    Now I am opening a hole, increasing the size of the hole, undercutting the sides, going deeper for no reason when not found right away, tearing clumps apart, etc. - it's not fun. The time & effort saved in not bending down to dig holes for a lousy target has changed to ' hole expanding & clod dividing.

Looks like a Pinpointer is on my next purchase order.
    Maybe I can hip mount the Garrett, remove the coil stem and keep a 3 Super Sniper coil in my pocket to use as a pinpointer. It's a thought.

It's a bit long winded but it is exact.

By-the-way, thank you for the opinion about the wireless headphones. Switching the detector from one side to the other side before my arm falls off presents a cord problem. I don't recall so much arm switching 27 years ago. Getting old!
    I think I'll ad those to my purchase order also.
    V3i, (ADS III backup), RH Lesche, Killer B Wasps, bad knees and an overpowering desire to search.

Veteran Member

welcome to the forum . hope you get some good seat time with your new machine soon.i do like the wireless headphones. previously i was not a headphone guy.. hi-eva. i do like them
    im an american proud and free, a son of the south dont tread on me

Quote Originally Posted by Schrecky View Post
    I'm located in NW PA so if you ever want to meet half way for a hunt let me know.
    Schrecky,
    Thanks for the invite. I have a place in Forest county where I pick wild high bush blueberries. That's usually near the middle of July to the middle of August. Since I am retired I can make a trip extended as long as I want. Couple of days picking and a day of detecting up north sounds good to me.
    I know a location where there is an old baseball field that dates back to the lumbering days. I spent about an hour there once detecting before the downpour hit but managed some wheats, a few Indian Head pennies and a couple of early Mercury dimes. That was in 1983 and have not been back since.
    I am pretty sure no one else has either. You have to know it was a ballfield then because you would never now by looking.

Keep in touch.

Mike
    V3i, (ADS III backup), RH Lesche, Killer B Wasps, bad knees and an overpowering desire to search.

Hey Silysavg!!
    Welcome to the forum from the corn fields of Illinois!!
    Good luck with the new rig thumbsup01
    Some days you get the corn, some days you get the cob
    ​Oldest coin: ​70 B.C. "Harlow Flyer" gold qtr. Stater
    Oldest U.S. coin: 1814 Capped Bust Dime

Welcome aboard silysavg thumbsup01

Quote Originally Posted by Ill Digger View Post
    Hey Silysavg!!
    Welcome to the forum from the corn fields of Illinois!!
    Good luck with the new rig thumbsup01
    Quote Originally Posted by giant056 View Post
    Welcome aboard silysavg thumbsup01
    Thanks both you guys for the welcome.

giant056,
    I'll be coming through your neck of the state in May to go up to the Morel Festival in Boyne City.
    I had a great time there my first attendance in 2009 and learned the lay of the land - with regard to mushroom looking territory ( I was still in MD'g hiatus since 84 ) - but the urge was always there. As I traveled through Ohio and Eastern Michigan, I kept my eyes open for likely places to detect.

This year, when I go up again to Boyne City for morel picking, I'll be going up the Western side. I'll have my detecting gear with me.
    Pretty likely that I will be taking some silver from some of the detecting areas in your neck of the woods. Is it all right with you?
    I'll leave little 'Thank You' tokens under the divots
    Upper western Michigan is some fine looking country!

If you come around where Giant hunts i'm thinking you're gonna come up empty on silver or much of anything else. rofl
    He's pulling silver outta places in the woods i wouldn't think would produce.
    Not to mention scads of other things that defy explaination. |)
    And he's using the V3i too!!
    We don't mind if you pass through Michigan, just keep the detector in the trunk till you get to morel country. lol lol lol
    2018 silver coins=4
    Silver rings=
    Gold rings=
    Wheats=11
    I.H.=
    Buff=
    Clad=$21.31
    Dollar coins=2
    CTX3030, DFX w/Bigfoot, Beachhunter300, E-Trac.
    Hunting Michigan wet or dry!
    Oldest coin ever = King George II half penny 1729-1754
    Oldest U.S. coin = 1834 L.C.
    Oldest silver ever = 1839 seated half dime

Welcome to the forum and also getting back to the hobby! YOU knew you couldn't stay away from detecting forever
    Having fun is what it is all about!

Quote Originally Posted by RaZR View Post
    If you come around where Giant hunts i'm thinking you're gonna come up empty on silver or much of anything else. rofl
    He's pulling silver outta places in the woods i wouldn't think would produce.
    Not to mention scads of other things that defy explaination. |)
    And he's using the V3i too!!
    We don't mind if you pass through Michigan, just keep the detector in the trunk till you get to morel country. lol lol lol
    I won't take too many. I am an old man now. I satisfy easy. I find something silver after a while of hunting I count it as a successful day and pack it up. I either hit another place or look for mushrooms a bit. Plenty will still be there for RaZr.

Welcome to the forum from SW Arkansas. Sounds like you are getting adjusting well to your new machine. Good luck.

Veteran Member

Welcome Silysavg thumbsup01
    Congrats on Your new V3i ...it's an awesome detector.
    To help Your Pinpointing enable the VCO

Expert menu> Audio >Pinpoint Audio..Click the Box VCO ...

When enabled the tone will increase in pitch and at the highest
    pitch Your over the Target thumbsup01

Looking forward to You finds thumbsup01 thumbsup01

Dave
    V3i DFX 10 DD 6x10 DD 4x6 DD DX-1

Quote Originally Posted by odave View Post
    Welcome Silysavg thumbsup01
    Congrats on Your new V3i ...it's an awesome detector.
    To help Your Pinpointing enable the VCO

Expert menu> Audio >Pinpoint Audio..Click the Box VCO ...

When enabled the tone will increase in pitch and at the highest
    pitch Your over the Target thumbsup01

Looking forward to You finds thumbsup01 thumbsup01

Dave
    odave,

Believe me, when I find something other than usual change, I can't wait to post it

Best regards,

Mike