Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Seated Half Dime...

Seated Half Dime...

I was suppose to go out with Dave this morning but with my niece's birthday party, sadly I had to postpone. We got home at 5:15 and in very short order I had my detector in the back of the truck and off I headed.

Went back to the spot ( HERE ) I recently found a Shield Nickel and picked another very small portion of the yard. I am really forcing myself to slow down and grid this site. So far it is paying off. It is tough fighting the urge to wander around, but I'm sticking with the grid here.

The coin targets were sparse in tonight's 20x10 foot section. Picked up one wheat and then out came a dirt encrusted small silver disc. Like so many times in the past, the thought of a half dime popped into my head. All previous times the rush was crushed when a small token, toy money or foreign coin was revealed.
    But on this one I did catch a small glimpse of what appeared to be a seated woman. This brought my excitement level up a notch and decided to walk to the truck and rinse the dirt off with some water. On the way, I decided to swipe a small clump of dirt off a portion of the edge of the coin to see if it was reeded. Sure enough it was. At this point I was thinking, There is no way this can be a half dime. As the water rinsed away the surrounding dirt... I was simply shocked. Shocked that I was able to find one of those small, early silver coins. <: Just a few days ago I was happy to finally get into the 1800's with a 1898 dime. You can imagine my excitement when I realized I just beat my earliest silver coin by 41 years.

The half dime has some nice detail but it appears to have suffered a little damage along it's life.

Also picked up a very nice looking gold button. Definitely no idea of when or what it is from. Any thoughts from
    the button experts out there? It is a little bit bigger than a quarter.

Good luck out there tomorrow everyone. thumbsup01

Re: Seated Half Dime...

Joe, She's a BEAUTY!!!! <: happydance02 Very sweet find my friend!
    [move][size=24pt]BIG CONGRATS!!![/move]
    Having fun is what it is all about!

Veteran Member

My goodness Joe , this will be a fun year,,,,,, i think thats a civil war era button
    Minelab E-Track ,Minelab SE, with stock coil, 10/12 sef coil , sunray 8 inch coil

silver count: 2011, 117 silvers , 20 indian heads

Veteran Member

Nice stuff.

WOW!!
    What a beauty Joe!!
    Thats one on my wish list!!
    You find everything!! lol
    Congrats!!
    Some days you get the corn, some days you get the cob
    ​Oldest coin: ​70 B.C. "Harlow Flyer" gold qtr. Stater
    Oldest U.S. coin: 1814 Capped Bust Dime

Veteran Member

Congrats on that sweet seated It does seem to have alot of detail, and still looks good despite the damage.
    Oldest: 1755 Spanish silver; 1800 half dime | 1842 seated half | 1857 seated quarter | 516 silver coins in 2011!

Very nice half dime fantastic find. The pictures are really nice.

what a great day you had Joe and your half dime is a looker too , mega congrats to ya your button is very interesting and a good one just in the shape alone makes it very special . let me start out by saying the backmark tells me its from 1850 to 1865 but the front makes it after the Civil War . the ISH stands for Iowa Soldiers Home a verteran organization for Iowa Civil War vets . so you batted a 1000 Joe on that hunt |)

congrats again

Dan
    "Honesty is an expensive gift ,
    so don't expect it from cheap people"

XP Deus II , DFX ,TDI sl -

Click here to view my finds album

Persistence pays off. Great stuff Joe.
    Now that you found it by the 'gridding' method are you more inclined to stop the 'wandering' method? Just curious really because I have found really great finds either way and have yet to be pinned down to either.

Keep up the good finds - it's very encouraging to everyone.

Mike
    V3i, (ADS III backup), RH Lesche, Killer B Wasps, bad knees and an overpowering desire to search.

That is truly a beauty Joe Congratulations!!! They are tiny coins, aren't they? That is an amazing find!!!!

The button is very nice too
    Minelab E-Trac/Sun Ray X-1 -- Minelab Sovereign GT/Sun Ray S-1 -- White's v3i/Sun Ray DX-1
    Fisher CZ3D -- Tesoro Tiger Shark -- Garrett ACE 250

Congratulations Joe! That is one sweet looking half dime. Lovely lady... just lovely! Did your heart go full speed ahead?

Thanks for the comments everyone. I'm still pretty excited this morning about finding this coin.
    I'm just not one of those guys who find old coins like that. Mostly a Merc and Rosie guy with a few late
    Barbers sprinkled in.

Quote Originally Posted by del View Post
    your button is very interesting and a good one just in the shape alone makes it very special . let me start out by saying the backmark tells me its from 1850 to 1865 but the front makes it after the Civil War . the ISH stands for Iowa Soldiers Home a verteran organization for Iowa Civil War vets . so you batted a 1000 Joe on that hunt |)
    congrats again
    Dan
    Thank you Jeff (or) and Dan for the ID on the button. I really appreciate it. I did a little searching last night on the maker and scrolled through lots of buttons but just couldn't find the match. Based on the info below, would this button have been on the uniforms that the soldiers wore at this facility?

The Iowa Soldiers Home accepted its first resident in 1887 when the facility provided living quarters for displaced veterans of the War Between the States. Management of the home resembled life patterned after Army rules and regulations. Residents wore uniforms, marched in formation, stood inspections, ate at a mess hall, and went to bed at taps. They slept in open wards and needed passes to get by the sentry at the gates.

awsome half dime find,gg.
    M6 / DX-1 / 6x10 DD & M6/DX-1/ stock coil
    Pontiac IL.

beautiful seated coin!!!!! hit that site again and take no prisoners :white: :white: :white:..........
    Sacramento California
    V3i DFX MXT
    Excalibur II

Heck yea!!! that's how you do it,great hunt and finds. That button is cool looking!

Global Moderator Fire Fighter 43's Avatar

That is a beauty, it is one coin that's on my list. Congrats on a great and rare find!!

Minelab Equinox 800, 15”Coiltek, 11” & 6”coils

XP Deus II , 11", 9” & 11x13 coils

Detectors since 1977: Simplex, DEUS, CTX 3030, F75 Ltd, Etrac, Excal II, V3i, DFX, GTI2000, Eagle II, 6000DI, 6DB, AlaskanTR4B, Beachcomber

Awsome Recovery on the half dime and the button ,persistance pays off again,congrats you have earned it...
    Life Is Short,Make everyday Count,Go for the Gold!

WOW Joe! Congrats on that beautiful find! Keep working that area slow and steady and you will keep finding stuff I am sure. That button is a fantastic piece of history!
    Congrats again!
    Minelab Equinox 600 & Whites Coinmaster, Garrett Propointer, Lesche Digger
    Oldest silver: 1853 Half-dime & 1876S Seated Quarter / Oldest coin: 1849 US Large Cent / 1854 Upper Canada One Penny Bank Token

Quote Originally Posted by silysavg View Post
    Now that you found it by the 'gridding' method are you more inclined to stop the 'wandering' method? Just curious really because I have found really great finds either way and have yet to be pinned down to either.
    Mike
    I'm sure I'll never stop the wandering method completely. lol It is a fun way to hunt for me. A person can surely recover the easy targets quicker by wandering. Not to mention finding the hot spots. But to ensure you hit all spots of a site and find the more difficult targets... gridding is definitely best. I tend to go much slower when I grid, that definitely helps.

San Francisco, by way of Orange County, CA

That's a beautiful coin; congratulations on your newest oldest silver!

Those don't come around too often; you've got a special place there...

Yeah, I'm a wanderer too. I like to have faith that some unconscious force will direct me the right way. Plus, like you said, easier to find hotspots, etc. Hopefully that whole property will be one big hotspot for you!

I think there's gonna even more coming from that place thumbsup01
    Jayson in San Francisco, swinging my dirty Ex. II