Congrats on both finds!
    I live my life one target at a time
    since '68

Veteran Member

Re: Seated Half Dime...

She's a beauty thumbsup01 thumbsup01
    V3i DFX 10 DD 6x10 DD 4x6 DD DX-1

OMG Joe,,,,that is a beauty of a coin!!!!!! Big congrats on that one!!! I'm still looking for my first!!!!!!!
    I can only please one person per day,,,today is not your day,,,tomorrow isn't looking good either.

2011 silver coins> 18,,,,13 IH,,,,2 V nickels,,,2 Shield nickels
    2010 silver coins >4,,,,the year that wasn't
    2009 silver coins> 77> 49 IHs> 15 V nickels>9 Buffs

Elite Member

sweet!
    2014 Goals: 20 Silver, 5 Large Coppers, 1 Gold Coin (not anticipating being able to detect much this year; NEW BABY HERE!!)
    So Far: (0) Silver; (2) KG, LC 1807; (2) IH; (3) Buff

2013 Total: 36 Silver; 5LC (including 1 FUGIO)
    2012 Total:101 Silver; 11 LC

Quote Originally Posted by staydetuned View Post
    Yeah, I'm a wanderer too. I like to have faith that some unconscious force will direct me the right way. Plus, like you said, easier to find hotspots, etc. Hopefully that whole property will be one big hotspot for you!
    I like to wander, but especially on yards and certain areas of old parks, I patiently grid the area.
    Minelab Equinox 600 & Whites Coinmaster, Garrett Propointer, Lesche Digger
    Oldest silver: 1853 Half-dime & 1876S Seated Quarter / Oldest coin: 1849 US Large Cent / 1854 Upper Canada One Penny Bank Token

That's a great first Seated,Congrats!!

Sweeet 1/2 dime ! happydance02 happydance02 happydance02 happydance02
    Someday, I wanna be a vampire

Veteran Member

what a whopper of a find .. and darnit its 4 years older than my oldest half dime. nice.
    im an american proud and free, a son of the south dont tread on me

I missed this post...that's a keeper......very nice....1857 American Silver is a great find. A half dime.....priceless!
    And now the metal detectorist pledge.
    "I pledge to do my honor, to do my best AND seriously investigate ALL deep signals!"

Minelab SE (Is there really any other manufacturer?) 2011 totals = 24 silver coins, 3 LC,1 war of 1812 artillary button , 1 token, 6 IH pennies, 1 2 cent piece

The reverse of that half dime looks uncirculate That coin was dropped brand new and it stinks that it got clipped like that. Mint struck so hard that the reverse rim bulged out. You can even see that beautiful uncirculate glow to the reverse. What a great piece. I can't find anything on that button, but it could be almost anything...a university, organization, local chapter, etc... Great digs
    Finding relics is in my blood

GPX 5000, CTX 3030, E Trac, Vista Gold

a 1/2 dime, people hunt forever and never find one of those. huge congrats
    V3i- Prism IV- Pro Pointer
    2020 GOAL: Any Flowing Hair coin

TOTAL 100 YEAR OLD COINS - -280
    2020:
    Silver: 11

Oldest U.S. Copper - 1795 Liberty Cap
    Oldest U.S. Silver - 1829 Capped Bust Dime extra large 10C
    Click here to view my album

Quote Originally Posted by jkress View Post
    I was suppose to go out with Dave this morning but with my niece's birthday party, sadly I had to postpone. We got home at 5:15 and in very short order I had my detector in the back of the truck and off I headed.

Went back to the spot ( HERE ) I recently found a Shield Nickel and picked another very small portion of the yard. I am really forcing myself to slow down and grid this site. So far it is paying off. It is tough fighting the urge to wander around, but I'm sticking with the grid here.

The coin targets were sparse in tonight's 20x10 foot section. Picked up one wheat and then out came a dirt encrusted small silver disc. Like so many times in the past, the thought of a half dime popped into my head. All previous times the rush was crushed when a small token, toy money or foreign coin was revealed.
    But on this one I did catch a small glimpse of what appeared to be a seated woman. This brought my excitement level up a notch and decided to walk to the truck and rinse the dirt off with some water. On the way, I decided to swipe a small clump of dirt off a portion of the edge of the coin to see if it was reeded. Sure enough it was. At this point I was thinking, There is no way this can be a half dime. As the water rinsed away the surrounding dirt... I was simply shocked. Shocked that I was able to find one of those small, early silver coins. <: Just a few days ago I was happy to finally get into the 1800's with a 1898 dime. You can imagine my excitement when I realized I just beat my earliest silver coin by 41 years.

The half dime has some nice detail but it appears to have suffered a little damage along it's life.

jkress,

I remember the first one I found years ago. It was not that deep and when uncovered and the small size was seen I actually thought it was a play coin from some board game. What a great thrill it was when I cleaned off the dirt and noticed what it actually was.

I get that vicarious thrill reading of your find.

Congratulations.

Mike
    V3i, (ADS III backup), RH Lesche, Killer B Wasps, bad knees and an overpowering desire to search.

Thats nice J. You are hunting the best way now. Takes a lot of time to cover the ground , but at least you know you have well covered it. Slow and eazy.
    Civil War Nut
    V3, V3i, 4" 6" 8" (3) 10" 12" DD super coils

Quote Originally Posted by silysavg View Post
    What a great thrill it was when I cleaned off the dirt and noticed what it actually was.
    Boy you aren't a kidding. It was certainly a big rush for me. Congrats on yours... I would love to hear about that hunt.

Quote Originally Posted by Civil War Nut View Post
    You are hunting the best way now. Takes a lot of time to cover the ground , but at least you know you have well covered it. Slow and eazy.
    Yeah... I'm learning. Sometime this summer when I'm looking for new grounds to hunt, I'm going to head back to one of the spots I quickly wandered through before. Slowly grid the heck out of it and see what I missed.

Quote Originally Posted by jkress View Post
    Boy you aren't a kidding. It was certainly a big rush for me. Congrats on yours... I would love to hear about that hunt.
    That was a looong time ago - 7/8/1982. My friend and I had permission to metal detect the property of a long gone girl's college - St. Xavier Academy. Many acres. We were pulling seated and barber coins out daily, along with other silver up to 1964, whenever we had time after work.

After hundreds of silver coins taken there by me and him it was bound to happen that someone would find a half-dime.

To be honest, the only thing I remember about the first half-dime was how excited I was. It was totally just another normal signal with that deep sound we became accustomed to on that property. Just about anything found there was old but the Barbers and Seated were usually around 6 to 8 inches.

We were using the 12 inch coil on the Garrett Master Hunter ADS III. I still have it now, and indeed, it is running as good now as the day I bought it in June 1982. I quit detecting in 1984 and hung it on a pegboard hook in the cellar and there it hung since then.

Anyway, getting back to the half-dime.
    That property ( the Sisters of Mercy established a school, St. Xavier Academy, near Latrobe in 1847) was a dream come true. It is a rural setting, old oak trees everywhere, no buildings anymore but the grounds were well maintained. There was practically no bad signals. It was either a threshold sound or a good find. But to this day I still remember that 1839 Half-Dime.

You should be doubly proud of yours because you found yours in this era, the era when most every conceivable place someone could think of detecting - was! - and heavily at that. Mine was easy in comparison.

I would love to hear that you found another tomorrow. Those great finds are like getting an eagle playing golf. No matter how bad the game is until that eagle, it's the eagle that keeps you swingin' .
    Keep that coil swinging, there's another eagle waiting.

Mike
    V3i, (ADS III backup), RH Lesche, Killer B Wasps, bad knees and an overpowering desire to search.