Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 1785 nova constellatio at cellar site

1785 nova constellatio at cellar site

coinnut and i started our day around 5:20 like we do every Saturday , we had some freezing rain the night before so the driving was a little slower than ( driving like i'm going to a fire) usual lol we get to our destination and we were surprised at the snow level was just a bit to much ( about 4 inches ) for our liking but hit it for a few hours anyway . i had to detect in mixed mode on the dfx to help with the depth but the finds just weren't there , so George suggested another spot and after a about an hour i popped up a large plain dandy button and shortly after that my 36th copper came out of the ground . my first 1785 nova constellatio stretcherpointed ray variety) that i'm very happy with , 2009 has been a great year with a few first for me but this one is my sweetest and on the last hunt of the year for me . hey thanks for looking .

Dan
    Attached Images Attached Images         
    "Honesty is an expensive gift ,
    so don't expect it from cheap people"

XP Deus II , DFX ,TDI sl -

Click here to view my finds album

Re: 1785 nova constellatio at cellar site

It looks like you had a great day dan congrats wish i could of went,the coin looks like it has alot of detail.
    DFX

thanks Chris its in better shape than the pictures show, ya you should of went we had a good time out .

Sweet little copper lol Come into my pouch What a great coin!! That's a great way to end the season Although last year you ended it with a GW button We made it out before it started to rain, but I hear there may be snow comin'. This probably was the last hunt this year crying01 Lucky next year is just around the corner. I didn't get much except for some buttons. 2 out of the 3 large cloak buttons were decorated. The Memorial is there to overshadow the Nova lol. Great hunt Dan!!
    Attached Images Attached Images     
    Finding relics is in my blood

GPX 5000, CTX 3030, E Trac, Vista Gold

thanks man. nice buttons George and yes that memorial overshadows that copper , not lol but i appreciate the effort

Yeah, that memorial just doesn't look right in that photo lol

What a fantastic coin. That would be the find of a lifetime for me! I am so envious of all your cellar hole finds. I'm going to move out there and give you guys a run for your money lol (I'm sure you're shaking with fear rofl )
    Minelab E-Trac/Sun Ray X-1 -- Minelab Sovereign GT/Sun Ray S-1 -- White's v3i/Sun Ray DX-1
    Fisher CZ3D -- Tesoro Tiger Shark -- Garrett ACE 250

Quote Originally Posted by Epi-hunter View Post

What a fantastic coin. That would be the find of a lifetime for me! I am so envious of all your cellar hole finds. I'm going to move out there and give you guys a run for your money lol (I'm sure you're shaking with fear rofl )
    Hey, I know all of you are jealous about my Memorial If you moved out here, we'd make a cellar dweller out of you in a month lol You'd be a pro in no time

Veteran Member

Wow, that copper is in awesome shape. Any cleaning other than just rinsing?
    Oldest: 1755 Spanish silver; 1800 half dime | 1842 seated half | 1857 seated quarter | 516 silver coins in 2011!

Quote Originally Posted by coinnut View Post
    Hey, I know all of you are jealous about my Memorial If you moved out here, we'd make a cellar dweller out of you in a month lol You'd be a pro in no time
    It would take you ten minutes to make a cellar dweller out of me. And a lot longer than a month to make me a pro at it rofl
    Minelab E-Trac/Sun Ray X-1 -- Minelab Sovereign GT/Sun Ray S-1 -- White's v3i/Sun Ray DX-1
    Fisher CZ3D -- Tesoro Tiger Shark -- Garrett ACE 250

Awesome way to end out the year!!! Some really nice old coppers being found lately and they are nice to see, especially when the season is supposedly over for alot of us...Nice to see some diehards out there in the snow and taking advantage before the frost sets in totally!! thumbsup01

Here's an update on Dan's copper. Officially it's listed under Proposed Confederation Contract Issues. Designed by Wyon, coined in Birmingham, England, by order of a merchant in New York. It's actually listed as Constellatio Nova and not the other way around (I don't know, something to do with how it's said in Latin lol) The script US is copied from a Contental Army button. All coins were struck in 1785 or 1786. The 1783 version is a commemorative issue. Dan, I think your copper is listed in Breens as #1111. 1785, pointed rays, pellets at date, course dentils. a/k/a Crosby 3-B pl. VII, 29. Just some rough guesses on price. In F= $200.00, VF= $450.00, XF= $1000.00. Now was that worth a cold day's hunt?? thumbsup01

Sweet find, Dan! That coin no doubt made the trip and detecting in that snow worth all the effort.

I like those buttons, George, though that small disk at the lower right sends shivers down my spine...not sure why. lol

Very good hunt and great end to the year!

WoW Dan that's a great piece, nice to see you two made it out.. Alittle brezzy but not bad. Maybe I should try out some woods?
    Minelab E-Trac
    Whites DFX
    Garrett Pro Pointer

Quote Originally Posted by Epi-hunter View Post

thanks Angie

don't mind George he gets real proud of them zincolns ( his favorite coin at a 200 year old cellar) and lets face it you don't find'em very often at these places lol
    as far as comming out here i don't have a problem with that at all , consider us your official colonial cellar tour guides lol

ya what he said

Quote Originally Posted by randy View Post
    Wow, that copper is in awesome shape. Any cleaning other than just rinsing?
    hey thanks Randy it was one of those that the crust flaked off so i just rinsed it and then put a coin restorer on and waa-laa

Quote Originally Posted by Islandhunter View Post
    Awesome way to end out the year!!! Some really nice old coppers being found lately and they are nice to see, especially when the season is supposedly over for alot of us...Nice to see some diehards out there in the snow and taking advantage before the frost sets in totally!! thumbsup01
    kind of you to say IH , thanks

Here's an update on Dan's copper. Officially it's listed under Proposed Confederation Contract Issues. Designed by Wyon, coined in Birmingham, England, by order of a merchant in New York. It's actually listed as Constellatio Nova and not the other way around (I don't know, something to do with how it's said in Latin lol) The script US is copied from a Contental Army button. All coins were struck in 1785 or 1786. The 1783 version is a commemorative issue. Dan, I think your copper is listed in Breens as #1111. 1785, pointed rays, pellets at date, course dentils. a/k/a Crosby 3-B pl. VII, 29. Just some rough guesses on price. In F= $200.00, VF= $450.00, XF= $1000.00. Now was that worth a cold day's hunt?? thumbsup01
    wow your fast with that info man , thanks . its very much appreciated George thumbsup01

Quote Originally Posted by angellionel View Post
    Sweet find, Dan! That coin no doubt made the trip and detecting in that snow worth all the effort.
    Very good hunt and great end to the year!
    thanks you Angel it was a great surprise to end the year with .

Quote Originally Posted by bmattioli View Post
    WoW Dan that's a great piece, nice to see you two made it out.. Alittle brezzy but not bad. Maybe I should try out some woods?
    thanks Bruce , i'll tell you now the ground was like soft butter and the coin was maybe 5 inches deep with about 2 to 3 inches of snow on top.

Man, I didn't know that coin was that scarce. Nice reaserch George.. That's a sweet find Dan.. Glad tomorrow is suposed to be warm, can't wait.. Good luck you two!
    Minelab E-Trac
    Whites DFX
    Garrett Pro Pointer

wow thats a beauty Dan! nice! i'm gonna go solo tomorrow at the site i pulled my 5 coppers that day.and the 1820 and 1803 LC's .hope i find somethin with the snow.hopefully this rain will knock down the snow a bit.
    fantastic coin.nice shape too!
    thumbsup01 CONGRATS!
    i had a brainstorm lol gonna bring my beach hunter id 300 too.since this has the 12 inch coil maybe i'll get some depth at this site.see what happens tomorrow.
    2008-14 coppers
    2009-32 coppers
    2010-34 coppers 2-GW buttons
    2011- 80 & 3/4 coppers 1-GW button
    2012- 92 coppers/large cents 1-GW button
    2013- 57 1/4 coppers 6- GW Buttons
    2014- 69 coppers 1-GW button
    2015- 20 1/4 coppers
    2016-44 coppers 1-GW button
    2017-19 & 1/2 coppers
    2018-19 coppers 1-GW
    2019-5 coppers
    click to see my photo album

Sweet little copper lol Come into my pouch What a great coin!! That's a great way to end the season Although last year you ended it with a GW button We made it out before it started to rain, but I hear there may be snow comin'. This probably was the last hunt this year crying01 Lucky next year is just around the corner. I didn't get much except for some buttons. 2 out of the 3 large cloak buttons were decorated. The Memorial is there to overshadow the Nova lol. Great hunt Dan!!
    nice button G ya guys did well! yeah like i said before....gonna be hard to top this year.you both did fabulous! thumbsup01
    2008-14 coppers
    2009-32 coppers
    2015- 20 1/4 coppers
    2017-19 & 1/2 coppers
    2018-19 coppers 1-GW
    2019-5 coppers

Quote Originally Posted by HEAVYMETALNUT View Post
    wow thats a beauty Dan! nice! i'm gonna go solo tomorrow at the site i pulled my 5 coppers that day.and the 1820 and 1803 LC's .hope i find somethin with the snow.hopefully this rain will knock down the snow a bit.
    fantastic coin.nice shape too!
    thumbsup01 CONGRATS!
    i had a brainstorm lol gonna bring my beach hunter id 300 too.since this has the 12 inch coil maybe i'll get some depth at this site.see what happens tomorrow.
    thanks Dave hey does that beach hunter id have the led lights red yellow green

Quote Originally Posted by del View Post
    thanks Dave hey does that beach hunter id have the led lights red yellow green
    yeah dan yellow/light blue/red.idk if its worth bringing but gonna give it a shot.if the iron light is going crazy i'll just park it and go with the spectrum.just hope the rain stops for the morning.looks like its doing some damge to the snow so..thats good! thumbsup01
    2008-14 coppers
    2009-32 coppers
    2015- 20 1/4 coppers
    2017-19 & 1/2 coppers
    2018-19 coppers 1-GW
    2019-5 coppers

Quote Originally Posted by HEAVYMETALNUT View Post
    yeah dan yellow/light blue/red.idk if its worth bringing but gonna give it a shot.if the iron light is going crazy i'll just park it and go with the spectrum.just hope the rain stops for the morning.looks like its doing some damge to the snow so..thats good! thumbsup01
    that beach hunter i.d. machine is basically a dfx (a vlf machine) dressed as a beach detector and not a pulse induction unit so you could just put that coil on your dfx and run it like that as well . as far as the rain good luck i thought it was going to rain until around noon but since when are the weather men right.