Thread: Another kind of treasure

Another kind of treasure

Went for a different kind of treasure today. And yes they were good. lol This is my half.
    Attached Images Attached Images                 

Veteran Member

Re: Another kind of treasure

Yummy
    V3i DFX 10 DD 6x10 DD 4x6 DD DX-1

Veteran Member

. you guys eat those things ? i dont know about that
    im an american proud and free, a son of the south dont tread on me

Quote Originally Posted by russellt View Post
    . you guys eat those things ? i dont know about that
    Oh yeah !! They're good too!

I'm not much of a mushroom person per-say, but I usually go and try and find a dozen or so morels every spring
    I'm surprised they're popping up already I usually go out about the 2nd & 3rd week of May. All this rain should really help with the sprouting thumbsup01
    Good eats
    Congrats
    Some days you get the corn, some days you get the cob
    ​Oldest coin: ​70 B.C. "Harlow Flyer" gold qtr. Stater
    Oldest U.S. coin: 1814 Capped Bust Dime

I wouldn't know how to tell the good ones from the bad ones...so I stay away from them....except for the ones in the stores lol

The simple answer is when you cut them in half the good ones are hollow all the way through. The bad ones have a cotton type substance in the middle. And last but not least stay away from the large red ones. You can also tell from the looks of the outside but if you are not familiar with them it will be hard to tell this way.

75 and thunderstorms tomorrow.....Hmmmmm guess where i'll be Wednesday, YEP getting some more.

Morel's?? Nice and good eating too. Very short time span to find them, but you find one and you find a group of them. Nice, if that is what they are.
    Finding relics is in my blood

GPX 5000, CTX 3030, E Trac, Vista Gold

Quote Originally Posted by coinnut link=topic=5460.msg65275#msg65275 date=1303183047
    Morel's??..... Nice, if that is what they are.
    Yeah, they're morels.

you can have my share,,,
    M6 / DX-1 / 6x10 DD & M6/DX-1/ stock coil
    Pontiac IL.

Roll em in cracker crumbs and pan fry to a toasty brown. Goes good with a mess of goggle-eyes. One of the joys of spring. Enjoy them friend.

I got 170 more today, i'll post some pics sometime. It was 35 degrees when i started thus morning. Found 60 around one small clump of dead trees. thumbsup01

Whoa!! Thats a haul!! Do you freeze them for the rest of the year? Also I was wondering what you use for a bag? I've seen some mesh ones. I don't know were to find one like that They say it's good to use a mesh bag so as you walk through the woods and the spoors are falling off the mushrooms you are redepositing the spoors throughout the woods. Therefore reseeding for the following year.

I've heard all kinds of things like that over the years. I have always used a Walmart bag. lol Been hunting this area for 25 years now and it is still producing nicely.
    I've heard you can't find them until night time temps are warm but i remember when i was a kid my dad would always find some in March a full two weeks before people around here even go out. A few times there was snow on the ground when he found them. They were small ones but still good eating.

To me the best luck i've had is when you get a day or two with warm temps and thunderstorms like we had here last night. it was 73 at 5:00 and the temps dropped over night and never got over 50 today.

Mushrooms i believe are going to come up when they are going to come up. When it's that time it's that time. The more rain we get the more i find. Dry springs make for some off years for me. I don't find nearly as many.

Elite Member

Yeah, I wouldn't take my personal chances...I'd probably find the magic ones and be on a carpet ride for days rofl
    2014 Goals: 20 Silver, 5 Large Coppers, 1 Gold Coin (not anticipating being able to detect much this year; NEW BABY HERE!!)
    So Far: (0) Silver; (2) KG, LC 1807; (2) IH; (3) Buff

2013 Total: 36 Silver; 5LC (including 1 FUGIO)
    2012 Total:101 Silver; 11 LC