Thread: Newbie

I've never had a detector, but have been contemplating getting into it. Got information overload on what detector to purchase. I enjoyed the article on the Garrett Ace 250 vs Fisher F2. I've also been looking at the Bounty Hunter Pioneer 501, but I don't see anyone on this sight even mentioning Bounty Hunter products.

Would appreciate any input I could get.

Royce

Re: Newbie

Welcome Royce.

There sure is a lot to pick from with detectors. I would make a decision on the type of hunting you will do most and then go with the amount you have to spend. Get the best one you can afford and all will be good. Take your time and learn it then you will know if it's right for you or you might want to upgrade. Happy Hunting

first hello and welcome to American Detectorist Royce , V3ikid has given you great advice in deciding what kind of detecting you want to do ( beach combing , coinshooting in parks and schools , relic hunting , ect.) they all will do these things but some might be a little better at it with features the different machines may have . do your homework . good entry machines include the Garret ace 250 , Whites coinmaster , the bounty hunter and fisher as you mentioned . what ever machine you do decide to get this is the place to ask your questions as there are lots of great people here with tons of experience to help you out . glad you could join us Royce and welcome to the hobby.

Dan
    "Honesty is an expensive gift ,
    so don't expect it from cheap people"

XP Deus II , DFX ,TDI sl -

Click here to view my finds album

Hi Royce, and welcome to the forum!

Some good advice above. Your budget, and the type of detecting you want to do, are probably the two most important factors. Also important is how dedicated you are to the hobby (I know it's hard to know as a new person to the hobby) and whether or not you like/do well with machines that are complex (versus preferring something more simple with less adjustments etc.)

The ACE 250/350 are good machines. I don't have familiarity with the Fisher F2 personally but you can probably pick John's (Lowjiber's) brain for more info if you need it -- he wrote the article on the main page comparing the two. I don't think there are any Bounty Hunter users on this site and I don't have personal experience so I can't comment there.

If you can afford it and think you will take to this hobby, then I would recommend purchasing a mid-level machine if you can. There are some good ones out there used as well.

Good luck! It's a great hobby.

Minelab E-Trac/Sun Ray X-1 -- Minelab Sovereign GT/Sun Ray S-1 -- White's v3i/Sun Ray DX-1
    Fisher CZ3D -- Tesoro Tiger Shark -- Garrett ACE 250

Hello and welcome aboard future detectorist The advice is solid. Go with your budget. Of the machines mentioned, I would go with the Ace or F2. I would skip the Bounty Hunter if you could afford any of the other 2 brands. I am also a firm believer of waiting and trying to get a used, mid to top level machine, for the same or a bit more money. I recommend this especially if you are good with electronics. You will soon max out your new machines, but the used, upper model machines have more to adjust and can get you better depth. Either way you will not fail. God created clad for us to find and pay off our machines lol Good luck!!
    Finding relics is in my blood

GPX 5000, CTX 3030, E Trac, Vista Gold

Welcome aboard Royce. Glad to have you here with us.
    I don't have any experience with the Fisher brand, but I do have
    quite a few hours behind the Ace 250. It is a very nice machine for the money.
    I found many silvers and goodies with it.
    Like Epi-hunter mentioned, the 350 is one to look at too.
    It's a great hobby, you are going to have fun. thumbsup01

Veteran Member

Welcome to the Forum Royce !!
    They've all given You great advise thumbsup01

My First detector was a Bounty hunter sharp shooter
    and I found lots of coins with it and had fun with it.
    It doesn't have depth indication which helps but I think it helped
    Me with my skills at finding targets. I still have the bounty
    hunter thumbsup01 I loan it out to My nephew once in awhile thumbsup01

Which ever one You choose Have fun with the hobby thumbsup01 thumbsup01
    And again welcome to the Forum thumbsup01 thumbsup01

Dave
    V3i DFX 10 DD 6x10 DD 4x6 DD DX-1

Welcome from Mesquite,Texas....The F2 or the ACE 250 would be your best bet...
    Diggin' the past, teaching my Son's for the future........ www.EFTHA.com

welcome to the forum.
    M6 / DX-1 / 6x10 DD & M6/DX-1/ stock coil
    Pontiac IL.

Elite Member

Welcome to the hobby. I have been hunting for 20+ years. And I have been a Garrett man until last year. If I were starting out again, I would do exactly what I did for my dad for Xmas......I bought him a Garrett 350. It's a great all around beginning machine for the same buck as the 250, or I would buy a used mid grade machine.
    2014 Goals: 20 Silver, 5 Large Coppers, 1 Gold Coin (not anticipating being able to detect much this year; NEW BABY HERE!!)
    So Far: (0) Silver; (2) KG, LC 1807; (2) IH; (3) Buff

2013 Total: 36 Silver; 5LC (including 1 FUGIO)
    2012 Total:101 Silver; 11 LC

Welcome to the A.D. forums Royce! Glad you are here.
    I live my life one target at a time
    since '68

Veteran Member

welcome to the forum. most machines are the same . 12 inches is about the limit depth wise no matter what you get . unless you spend 10K on a ground penetrating radar
    im an american proud and free, a son of the south dont tread on me

Hi Royce, Welcome to the forum. Let us know what you decided to get. Look forward to your posts
    V3i- Prism IV- Pro Pointer
    2020 GOAL: Any Flowing Hair coin

TOTAL 100 YEAR OLD COINS - -280
    2020:
    Silver: 11

Oldest U.S. Copper - 1795 Liberty Cap
    Oldest U.S. Silver - 1829 Capped Bust Dime extra large 10C
    Click here to view my album

Hey and welcome to the forum,
    I don't know anything about the ace 250 but it gets a lot of praise so I'm sures it a good entry level detector.
    My son has the F2 and he loves it and does real well with it I guess it all depends on what you want the f2 has target id and the vdi numbers where I think the ace just has the target id.
    For the price range I don't think you can go wrong with either machine.
    Ricky