Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: My first US belt plate!

My first US belt plate!

I dug this US belt plate in the front yard of a house built in 1867 (plus all other items pictured). The owner and I have common interest in arrowhead hunting and shared our collections last week. We've been talking a lot and I really like him. I even gave him a dandy cloak button with intricate designs I found there, which I thought was pretty generous of me See, he's lived in the house since he was a boy and goes back in generations to when it was built, so I thought perhaps that button belonged to one of his ancestors.

But NOW that I found the belt plate I found myself feeling guilty that I haven't shared the find with him, what if he wants it/demands it?? I am feeling selfish and want to keep it! I wouldn't feel so guilty, but I plan to go back there because I'm determined to go back and find his wife's platinum wedding band she lost in the yard 7 yrs ago... This house was along a route that soldiers travelled back in the day, so it may not be his ancestor's (but what if his great grandpa was a Union soldier...) I'm a pretty honest person, but I've heard many MDers say don't tell owners 'everything'. Anyone else been in this situation?

Oldest silver-- 1838o seated dime (no stars)
    Oldest copper-- 1820 LC

White's V3i, Coinmaster, XLT, Prism IV, Whites new TRX PP- Love it!!! Garretts PP

Re: My first US belt plate!

Wow... there it is, a US belt plate. <:
    That must have really been exciting to unearth.
    It is an incredible find. Congrats Tana.

I can certainly understand your dilemma. My guess is that the
    guilty feeling you mention will continue to grow.
    Maybe hold off mentioning it until you are done hunting that yard.
    You might just find that ring. Then you could show him both and
    offer him to pick one to keep. One for you, one for him. I'm guessing he
    would pick the ring.
    Or... you might find another one in even better shape. You can then give him the first one.
    It's a tough call that we all will probably face at one time or another.

I agree with jkress- see how it plays out and go from there. Perhaps you'll find the ring, or find another interesting item that may mean more to him than you. It sounds like you've both made a friend in the deal, and that probably means more to you both than that [awesome] US belt plate.

I've never had a problem with the idea of splitting finds 50/50 with a property owner, especially when it's been in the family for many years. Sure we're the ones digging in the yard with our personal equipment, and it was likely never going to get hunted anyways, but it takes two to tango and it is their yard. Like I always say, 50% of something is better than 100% of nothing! It's just tricky when you find a major item like this...good luck!
    Minelab E-trac, Sunray X1 probe

2011 Silver goal: 20 (14 YTD- 8 Rosies, 5 Mercury Head dimes, 1 Barber dime)
    2011 Clad goal: $50 ($132.50 year to date)

you've been killing me with anticipation girl >:{ lol lol
    finally get to see the plate
    that is a great piece of history ya got there Tana |) |) happydance02 <: does it have the paws or hooks on the back mega congrats on the beltplate Tana its a beauty

i see your dilema on the plate but realistically the chances are extremely silm that proud southerners that far south past the mason/dixion line would have anyone in their family fighting for the Yankee's and the north so personally wouldn't feel guilty . unless you could prove its ties to this family (with a name , initials or the like scrawled on the back or something ) . ask the owner if he had any relatives who fought in the great war if he did bet ya it was for the Confederate , more than likely it was lost from a northern soldier who camped on or near the property or maybe was taken for a souvenir . unless the item is personalized in some way to a place or person or family your best to keep it Tana . congrats on a great great piece
    "Honesty is an expensive gift ,
    so don't expect it from cheap people"

XP Deus II , DFX ,TDI sl -

Click here to view my finds album

I would be totally thrilled with that plate !
    Someday, I wanna be a vampire

First, Congrats Tana on a great find |) |) Now my take on finds and home owners. Here's how I look at that whole situation. If the homeowner said you could do his property and has known that you have a collection from doing metal detecting, then it stands to reason that they probably understand that you keep the items too. Most people would not be shy if they wanted what you found...it would be said boldly up front lol I am not much for showing everything to them, since they may just change their mind and keep what they like. I don't give them the option, because it changes what was already agreed upon when permission was granted earlier. I also have seen some people take some silver from me and polish it like a mirror. They really don't understand that item and how to preserve it. Heck, their kids may even lose it or just junk it cause it isn't in good shape. 8/ I also agree with Dan, that if it was a CS buckle and their generations go back to that period, I would give it back out of personal respect for their ancestors. But I would take a million pictures of it rofl

Finding the Platinum ring is a different story and I would always give that to them. That is your return favor to them for granting permission to hunt. I try and keep it balanced both ways without taking advantage of them or them of me. I hope some of the beach guys can tell you, but I have a feeling that ring is gonna read real low on the VDI scale. Size will alter the numbers, but I would dig all non ferrous targets including aluminum foil

Think it over and see what you feel is best, Who knows, after a bit, you may feel that buckle should be theirs and offer it up to them. But I would decide fast and stick with your decision. Don't want any hard feelings and them thinking you are hiding all the gold from them Just my way of looking at it though.
    Finding relics is in my blood

GPX 5000, CTX 3030, E Trac, Vista Gold

You are getting pretty good with that thing Tana.Nice finds .Good luck and keep it up girl. Yazoo

There it is!! thumbsup01 Nice!!
    That's a awesome find Tana!!
    That's something I'll have a hard time coming across way up here in northern Ill. crying01
    Congrats
    Some days you get the corn, some days you get the cob
    ​Oldest coin: ​70 B.C. "Harlow Flyer" gold qtr. Stater
    Oldest U.S. coin: 1814 Capped Bust Dime

Elite Member

That really had to have got your blood pumping good!
    2014 Goals: 20 Silver, 5 Large Coppers, 1 Gold Coin (not anticipating being able to detect much this year; NEW BABY HERE!!)
    So Far: (0) Silver; (2) KG, LC 1807; (2) IH; (3) Buff

2013 Total: 36 Silver; 5LC (including 1 FUGIO)
    2012 Total:101 Silver; 11 LC

Nice find Tana.

Very nice finds Cat. Must have been something in the air last week , I found a U. S. buckle also . And I think Del. and Cnut well said it . I always ask the owners if there famleys lived where I hunt that way you know that most of personel finds there wouud belong to them . All land oweners have told me that they would like to see what I find and they wouldnt want anything . Some places I find things of Civil War for people that had familey in it . Then I give it to them . I just returned the stuff I found of Sam Reed CSA. today . I will put a post of it on here later . You know , its bad when a girl comes along and beats me at this game . Good for you through , Good luck and H.H. Girl.
    Civil War Nut
    V3, V3i, 4" 6" 8" (3) 10" 12" DD super coils

Congrats on all your great finds. I do understand where you are coming from as I was searching a guy's yard in Virginia and found a beautiful 1896 Indian Head Cent that was in XF condition although green as a gord it was a perfect coin and after showing it to the property owner he told me that he wanted it. I did give it up but it sure leaves a taste in your mouth. What I have done to keep that from happening again is to do the 'Gentleman's (in your case the Lady's) handshake agreement. I talk with the property owner and get them to agree that I keep everything unless it is a piece of jewelry that belongs to them or their spouse or Grandparent, etc.

Currently my friends and I are searching a Civil War battle site and are finding the normal bullets, buttons, coins, and other relics. Two weeks ago my friend dug a perfect US Belt Plate. It will be pictured in a E & W article I believe in June or July. My friend was so excited he was afraid to turn the plate over to see the back. I asked if I could look at the back and see if it was a Belt or Box Plate ane was told to go for it. I turned it over and it had the complete Puppy-Paws and also had a bit of the original leather attached! What a treat to see and be the first in 150 years to see it!
    Best wishes for more success on your next search!
    Dave
    'Digger-Dave'
    THing4CSA
    PS: Remember; Don't leave it in the ground!
    Dave
    'Digger-Dave'
    THing4CSA
    PS: Remember; Don't leave it in the ground!

Oldest US Copper coin: 1798 Large Cent
    Oldest US Silver Coin: 1835 Bust Half Dime
    Oldest US Gold Coin: 1854 One Dollar, Type I
    Oldest Coin: Dateless Roman copper about the size of a US Half Dollar
    Best Relic find: US Civil War Belt Buckles (2)

Quote Originally Posted by THing4CSA link=topic=5566.msg66630#msg66630 date=1303922114
    Two weeks ago my friend dug a perfect US Belt Plate. It will be pictured in a E & W article I believe in June or July. My friend was so excited he was afraid to turn the plate over to see the back. I asked if I could look at the back and see if it was a Belt or Box Plate ane was told to go for it. I turned it over and it had the complete Puppy-Paws and also had a bit of the original leather attached!
    Thanks for the tips- that sucks about the IH. I hear that quite often, why I'm hesitant to tell the owner. Here's a pic of the back- I'm not sure the difference between belt or box plate? I'm pretty much a coin shooter but love finding the relics too of course. Have a lot to learn is what I'm trying to say

FYI I found it in coin and jewelry mode, which I tend to hunt majority of the time (enjoy the variety of tones vs the boring single tone of relic mode).

I almost didn't dig it thinking it was a large bottle cap!!! Still learning my machine

Oldest copper-- 1820 LC

White's V3i, Coinmaster, XLT, Prism IV, Whites new TRX PP- Love it!!! Garretts PP

Quote Originally Posted by del link=topic=5566.msg66320#msg66320 date=1303761016
    ask the owner if he had any relatives who fought in the great war if he did bet ya it was for the Confederate , more than likely it was lost from a northern soldier who camped on or near the property or maybe was taken for a souvenir . unless the item is personalized in some way to a place or person or family your best to keep it Tana . congrats on a great great piece
    You didn't mention you just found one! Or did I miss your thread I think you're right about doubting his family was union soldier... Well, I think I'll just be honest and show him next time I go. If he wants it I'll be assertive and say Nope, I worked for it- I'm keeping it.

A hunting buddy recently told me a story of owner asking to see a handful of old coins, he then stuck them in his pocket, said thanks went inside and closed the door!
    Oldest copper-- 1820 LC

Quote Originally Posted by Civil War Nut link=topic=5566.msg66610#msg66610 date=1303883766
    I just returned the stuff I found of Sam Reed CSA. today . I will put a post of it on here later .
    Oh I think I just read article in E&W Treasure mag... ? Was that you? I'll be looking for your post thumbsup01 I am all for returning things to owners- I have given several rings/jewelry to owners with no qualms - even that big 'ol chunky gold class ring!
    Oldest copper-- 1820 LC

Quote Originally Posted by Ill Digger link=topic=5566.msg66462#msg66462 date=1303829367
    There it is!! thumbsup01 Nice!!
    That's a awesome find Tana!!
    That's something I'll have a hard time coming across way up here in northern Ill. crying01
    Congrats
    You need to come hunt with me in ky next time you're coming through! Bring your family- I'll find a large area for us to hunt Are you going to DFX ONly hunt in Pennsylvania?
    Oldest copper-- 1820 LC

Quote Originally Posted by tanacat link=topic=5566.msg66644#msg66644 date=1303938827
    Are you going to DFX ONly hunt in Pennsylvania?
    8/ I got the phone call yesterday....back to work Monday :-\
    I'm going to run it by them when I go in. We'll see how well that go's over lol
    If I'm ever coming through your area I'll be sure to let you know thumbsup01
    How about you? You goin'?
    Again killer find!
    Some days you get the corn, some days you get the cob
    ​Oldest coin: ​70 B.C. "Harlow Flyer" gold qtr. Stater
    Oldest U.S. coin: 1814 Capped Bust Dime

Congrats on some great finds. Looks like you are starting the yeard off right.

Quote Originally Posted by tanacat link=topic=5566.msg66643#msg66643 date=1303938726
    Oh I think I just read article in E&W Treasure mag... ? Was that you? I'll be looking for your post thumbsup01 I am all for returning things to owners- I have given several rings/jewelry to owners with no qualms - even that big 'ol chunky gold class ring!
    Hidy Cat . I seen all my finds to American Digger Got one in July 2010 & one this year March & April Vol. 7 Issue 2 . I havent learned how to seen my stuff in to Weastern & Eastern yet . I take both Magazine . Earl . Yours looks a lot GOODER than mine .
    Civil War Nut
    V3, V3i, 4" 6" 8" (3) 10" 12" DD super coils

Quote Originally Posted by coinnut link=topic=5566.msg66334#msg66334 date=1303767002
    Don't want any hard feelings and them thinking you are hiding all the gold from them
    lol Actually there is a rumor of horde of gold buried near the area... When I was hunting another estate, the owners informed me of it and bluntly said if I found it, it was theirs. I said okay... thinking surely they'd give me a finders fee thumbsup01 I don't dig up potential trunks of gold/ big stuff in people's lawns anyway- I'm afraid it'd be a septic tank or sewer or tractor parts, etc... Don't want to make a big mess...

Anyway George, getting off track here with my morning coffee lol Thanks for your input. You know you are one of my fave gurus
    Oldest copper-- 1820 LC