Thread: Last hunt of the year

Last hunt of the year

We did our usual weekend hunt and it was warmer than expected. Maybe even 30 degrees lol We hit a large colonial hole and it was picked pretty well clean. I got lucky today My traditional ox knob at 9, 2 zincolns, a clad dime, deformed musket ball, some kind of lock plate for a door, and YES........ A COPPER!! whoo whoo Also scored a rare Spanish silver Barber dime rofl For those of you who have never heard of one of those, its for someone like me who thinks they found Spanish silver and then realizes it's really a Barber. :bangahead01: But I'll take it any day since I love them Barbers. It was a good race and congrats to Dave for his efforts this year and to Dan for winning that crown thumbsup01 I must admit, you look mighty silly wearing a crown Happy New Year everyone.
    Attached Images Attached Images       
    Finding relics is in my blood

GPX 5000, CTX 3030, E Trac, Vista Gold

Re: Last hunt of the year

Man, that old copper and Barber look sooo nice! Yeah, seeing any silvery disk in a hole at a colonial site will have the blood flowing at full speed ahead. lol A Barber is still a great find anytime though! thumbsup01

The snow we had today was not much of a deterrent for you and Dan. I stayed put today, since we had too much of the stuff falling.

Congrats on a great year!

wow nice! see i told ya i had a feeling you were gonna get a copper! nice stuff and thanks for the kudos!
    that's the first ox knob i seen that you can put a wrench on to tighten onto horn with the octagon shape for a crescent wrench
    a spectacular year is putting it mildly for the 3 of us thumbsup01
    happy new year
    now ya have one day to to put a point system in place.
    like ...
    100 for a G.W. button
    50 for spanish silver
    25 for a large copper
    20 for a farthing or half cent
    15 for any type of silver coin seated's,barbers etc
    10 for IH's
    5 for cloakers
    2 for regular buttons
    1 for a zincoln cuz we know how ya love pullin them G!
    2008-14 coppers
    2009-32 coppers
    2010-34 coppers 2-GW buttons
    2011- 80 & 3/4 coppers 1-GW button
    2012- 92 coppers/large cents 1-GW button
    2013- 57 1/4 coppers 6- GW Buttons
    2014- 69 coppers 1-GW button
    2015- 20 1/4 coppers
    2016-44 coppers 1-GW button
    2017-19 & 1/2 coppers
    2018-19 coppers 1-GW
    2019-5 coppers
    click to see my photo album

Quote Originally Posted by coinnut View Post
    We did our usual weekend hunt and it was warmer than expected. Maybe even 30 degrees lol We hit a large colonial hole and it was picked pretty well clean. I got lucky today My traditional ox knob at 9, 2 zincolns, a clad dime, deformed musket ball, some kind of lock plate for a door, and YES........ A COPPER!! whoo whoo Also scored a rare Spanish silver Barber dime rofl For those of you who have never heard of one of those, its for someone like me who thinks they found Spanish silver and then realizes it's really a Barber. :bangahead01: But I'll take it any day since I love them Barbers. It was a good race and congrats to Dave for his efforts this year and to Dan for winning that crown thumbsup01 I must admit, you look mighty silly wearing a crown Happy New Year everyone.
    picturing dan at his pc with one of the kids paper happy meal crowns on rofl
    2008-14 coppers
    2009-32 coppers
    2015- 20 1/4 coppers
    2017-19 & 1/2 coppers
    2018-19 coppers 1-GW
    2019-5 coppers

hey G-man you had a good day today , congrats you deserved it man . thumbsup01 very nice barber and largie . wow what a great year and a close one at that , both you guys gave me a run for the money . it was alot of fun and the friendly competition just made it a little more interesting is all and Dave its a Burger king paper crown hat that i'm wearing in front of the computer while typing this and i earned it buddy lol lol lol lol

now here's a few pictures of the site , it was a huge colonial with alot of area but man it was work just finding my meager finds . i did manage to keep up with George in zincolns and oxknobs today lol rofl

hey everyone have a great New Year's
    "Honesty is an expensive gift ,
    so don't expect it from cheap people"

XP Deus II , DFX ,TDI sl -

Click here to view my finds album

nice buttons! now whats up with those hexed ox knobs?never seen them like that?the ox musta loved seeing the farmer coming across the pasture swinging an adjustable wrench to get more torque on the knob! rofl
    2008-14 coppers
    2009-32 coppers
    2015- 20 1/4 coppers
    2017-19 & 1/2 coppers
    2018-19 coppers 1-GW
    2019-5 coppers

Quote Originally Posted by HEAVYMETALNUT View Post
    nice buttons! now whats up with those hexed ox knobs?never seen them like that?the ox musta loved seeing the farmer coming across the pasture swinging an adjustable wrench to get more torque on the knob! rofl
    ever notice how clean Coinnut makes those knobs look , thats pride man lol rofl

Quote Originally Posted by del View Post
    ever notice how clean Coinnut makes those knobs look , thats pride man lol rofl
    That's right young man and stop slouching too! Get a job while you're at it. lol I even clean my Zincolns

Nice diggin's! Thje LC is beautiful!
    I've yet to find an ox knob.... I've got a bet going with a friend who also hasn't found one yet.... Twpo years ago we made the bet because we both thought one of us woulda found one that year, but to this date we still haven't found one. The first one to find an ox knob gets a free breakfast on the other. Heading into year 3 of this bet with 2010.

Nice finds to you both.Nice Large Cent George and the Barber looks good also.Now you both got a little knob at that location.Something about those Ox knobs and the ox shoes make them sound so sweet when they are in the ground...........but when they surface they make you say Awe Common' man.

Come Spring we will have to get together.I have been to an area with about 10-15 sites that are in close proximity to one another,A few holes I haven't locate as of yet also.Not sure on the distance for you guys to travel but we could meet up close to the area.
    For every relic that rots away........a piece of history is lost.

I can't believe you two went out in the snow and cold! But those finds are worth it. Beautiful silver and copper George!

Okay, I'm going to ask, even though I know you guys explained this in some earlier thread but I can't remember what you said. What, exactly, is an ox knob? lol

Minelab E-Trac/Sun Ray X-1 -- Minelab Sovereign GT/Sun Ray S-1 -- White's v3i/Sun Ray DX-1
    Fisher CZ3D -- Tesoro Tiger Shark -- Garrett ACE 250

An ox knob was use on the tip of the oxen horn to pretty much round off the tip of the horn.The farmers used them to help from getting gored by the horn when the were working around the animals.
    For every relic that rots away........a piece of history is lost.

Quote Originally Posted by Epi-hunter View Post
    I can't believe you two went out in the snow and cold!

Okay, I'm going to ask, even though I know you guys explained this in some earlier thread but I can't remember what you said. What, exactly, is an ox knob? lol
    believe it or not Angie i was over dressed and was starting to sweat because it was just a little warmer than it was suppose to be

and john pretty much sumed it up , they are like the pull tab of colonial relic hunting because they sound like something there not and almost always fool you into thinking ya this is a coin for sure and then you pull up one of these :bangahead01:

Quote Originally Posted by del View Post
    they are like the pull tab of colonial relic hunting
    lol lol lol

Thanks for clearing that up John and Dan. No wonder you find so many of them I am sure, given their size and composition, that they sound very similar to the copper coins. I know you dig everything anyway, but can you usually guess accurately if you are hearing a copper versus an ox knob or something else?

Minelab E-Trac/Sun Ray X-1 -- Minelab Sovereign GT/Sun Ray S-1 -- White's v3i/Sun Ray DX-1
    Fisher CZ3D -- Tesoro Tiger Shark -- Garrett ACE 250

Hey Angie, we go out pretty much all winter long, provided the frost allows it. I was out of practice for the winter ox knobs. That one was in frozen ground and the hammer I brought broke the first time digging it lol. It will be an all metal hammer from now on thumbsup01 Del, one of those ox knobs looks really pretty rofl did you buff it? I must be rubbing off on ya

Nice finds guys. Love seeing the cellar hole hunts. You guys are die hards to be out in the snow hunting. WTG.

Quote Originally Posted by John M View Post
    An ox knob was use on the tip of the oxen horn to pretty much round off the tip of the horn.The farmers used them to help from getting gored by the horn when the were working around the animals.
    They may have saved em from getting gored, but with an animal that size I still wouldn;t wanna get on the wrong end of those horns for even with the knob on em I bet they still broke ribs when they thrashed at someone with them horns.
    Another use for the ox knobs was when they were showing the animals at fairs etc...they hid any imperfections or cracks or chips at the end of the horns.