Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast

Thread: What do you do for a living American Detectorists?

Re: What do you do for a living American Detectorists?

Payroll for a home health care company

I design steel roof trusses for commercial buildings. The company I work for is Amish owned and many of my coworkers are Amish. Definitely makes for an interesting workplace.
    Lifetime totals:
    10 Large Cents, 415 Indian Heads, 2 Two Cent Pieces, 1 Capped Bust Half Dime, 1 Seated Half Dime, 10 Shield Nickels, 68 V Nickels, 124 Buffalo Nickels, 31 War Nickels, 16 Seated Dimes, 131 Barber Dimes, 405 Mercury Dimes, 249 Rosies, 4 Seated Quarters, 18 Barber Quarters, 20 Standing Liberty Quarters, 89 Silver Washingtons, 1 Seated Half, 3 Barber Halves, 16 Walking Liberty Halves

YouTube Channel: Tony Two-Cent https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCmz...RlHTBIU42bUORg

retired 10 yrs ago and hunt for coins,befor that I was a class A machine operator in a steel factory for 23 1/2 yrs.
    M6 / DX-1 / 6x10 DD & M6/DX-1/ stock coil
    Pontiac IL.

hit the road jack,i hate market managers 43 years in the meat business. >{ >{ >{
    If it wasn't for flashbacks, i would have no memory at all

Salesman. Currently the Residential Sales Manager of a Duct and Vent cleaning co. Been selling for over 30 years and am still enjoying it.
    V3i- Prism IV- Pro Pointer
    2020 GOAL: Any Flowing Hair coin

TOTAL 100 YEAR OLD COINS - -280
    2020:
    Silver: 11

Oldest U.S. Copper - 1795 Liberty Cap
    Oldest U.S. Silver - 1829 Capped Bust Dime extra large 10C
    Click here to view my album

I am a senior developer at a small software firm. I develop high end financial software for corporations and governments. I have been at this for 25+ years and am looking forward to being semi-retired (more time for dirt fishin .
    V3i DX-1, D2, 6x10, 4x6, Super-12, 10x14DD

First off what a great thread. Now about me. I Have a degree in Geological Engineering which helps me see the lay of the land and moving beach erosion differently than others. Thought I was going to be an oilman and have a rich and fulfilling carrer until Oil collapsed in the late 80's. Somehow that turned into a career in Retail Development. Been developing and building shopping centers and drug stores across the eastern cost from Virginia to Florida for the last 25 years and loving every minuet of it. My job is to coordinate all the differnt contractors and consultants that go into developing a shopping center. What is really cool is when we by a property that has an old retail building or house on it that we are tearing down. When that happens it's just me and my XLT making sure their aren't any burried lines that might get dug up for safty reasons of cousre thumbsup01
    Whites XLT, CTX, XP Deus, CZ21, AT Pro

It sure is great to see all the diversity of people in this thread.

I Retired from teaching high school (art & silversmithing) about 15 years ago. Taught at the same school for 27 years.
    Last third of life should be spent playing. My playing is detecting, 31 years at it . steve in so az
    Fisher 1266X - Lesche digger
    Headband

I was like Lowjiber and retired after 21 years. I played in the jungle several times, but hated getting sand in my boots. After retiring, of course I had to go back to work and for the past 15 years have worked as an IT Security Analyst for one of the two local hospitals in town. :white:
    Oldest Coin: 1846 LC

Garrett AT Pro, Garrett Ace 250, Pro-Pointer

I've been teaching music (mostly band) in public schools for 26 years. So if you have any music questions...keep 'em to yourself, I'm on summer break! happydance02 <:
    On Instagram- oxshoedrew

I guess you could call me retired. I spent 37 years as a Public Safety Officer at Syracuse University. The first 21 years were as a dog trainer. We patroled the campus nights with the dogs. They were trained for crowd control, tracking, and attack. The rest of the time was regular patrol on days. Also spent 28 years with the 174th Air National Guards. Now my wife and I are the Animal Control Officers for our town. We also do large animal rescue for the county. At present we have 14 horses, 2 miniture donkeys, 20 something dogs, and at last count over 30 cats. On second thought, maby I'm semi retired.

Quote Originally Posted by RobW link=topic=645.msg24968#msg24968 date=1282856795
    I'm an attorney specializing in the areas of Real Estate, Estate Planning and Business. Have my own practice and cover all of Western MA and even into CT now. But I like to get dirty, get that dirt up in those fingernails, up in your nose, in your ears...yeah that is what I really like.....just can't make a living at it. Alwqays wanted to be an archeaologist, but life didn't take me that way. I love the history of what we find.
    Hidy ROB . Now you know good and well Archeaologist dont like people that play with M.D.s For what reason I dont know .
    Civil War Nut
    V3, V3i, 4" 6" 8" (3) 10" 12" DD super coils

I have 75+ Direct reports working 6 major IT Projects... spanning Server Provision and Retirements, Data Center Management, Deep Technical Support for Solaris - WINTEL 2k/2k3/2k8 - EMC San Storage - HP EVA Storage, Legato Networker (Backupo), Poject Managers, Data Center intergation support, Technical / Procedural Documentation for Regulated Environment (21 CFR part 11), Configuration Management and Remediation (ITIL / CMDB / CI), ITIL Change Management, etc...

So my role between, clients, vendors, employees, scope creep, what who thought what meant...

I... Change a lot of diapers and power butts most days :-)

2013 Totals: 4 Coppers 37 Silver Coins 18 Indian Heads 4 V Nickels 5 Buffalos 137 Wheaties 4 Sterling Items
    Website: http://www.ctdirtfisher.com YouTube Channel: http://www.youtube.com/user/CtDirtFisher

I have been working in automotive Industries for about 27 years. Currently powder coating and waste water technician.
    Whites mxt sunray probe stock coil 6×10 4×6 Minelab Etrac Garrett pro pointer and other stuff

I finally retired a few years ago. Spent 38 years as a Public Safety Officer, and had 30 years in the 174th Air National Guard here in central New York. My wife and I are the animal control officers here in our town, and we also do large animal rescue for the county, mostly horses. At present we have 15 horses, 2 miniture donkeys, 18 dogs and many many cats. Oh well, so much for retirement, but still manage to get out and swing the detector once in a while. |

Global Moderator Fire Fighter 43's Avatar

I do not look at this section of the forum too often but this was a great thread to read.
    Now I'll give everyone one guess what it is that I do. You are right I'm a full time Firefighter. It is a job that consist of more than just spraying water on fire. I'm a Emergancy Medical Technician and I currently hold the position of Heavy Equipement Operator which means I drive and operate every piece of Equipement we own but not at the same time, LOL. I'm also a Hazardous materials Technician and a Technical Rescue team member. Which consist of trench rescue water rescue and Deep tunnel rescue and just about any other bad situation someone could get them self into. I did a short stint as a fire inspector and I'm also an acting officer for my department. Oh yeah and I'm a certified Fire Instructor so I can teach all this stuff that I do. So you guys thought I just drive and spray water on fire LOL.
    My future career goals are to retire in 5 years after 29 years of service and become a full time professional TREASURE HUNTER.

Minelab Equinox 800, 15”Coiltek, 11” & 6”coils

XP Deus II , 11", 9” & 11x13 coils

Detectors since 1977: Simplex, DEUS, CTX 3030, F75 Ltd, Etrac, Excal II, V3i, DFX, GTI2000, Eagle II, 6000DI, 6DB, AlaskanTR4B, Beachcomber

Quote Originally Posted by FooserPaul link=topic=645.msg87448#msg87448 date=1319916044
    I... Change a lot of diapers and power butts most days :-)

lol rofl lol rofl Me too... thumbsup01
    Oldest silver-- 1838o seated dime (no stars)
    Oldest copper-- 1820 LC

White's V3i, Coinmaster, XLT, Prism IV, Whites new TRX PP- Love it!!! Garretts PP

soon will be retired for ten years and befor that I forget what I did OH I was a class A machine operator in a steel factory for 23 1/2 years and befor that a lot of different kind of jobs.just happy to be my own boss now, thumbsup01 thumbsup01
    M6 / DX-1 / 6x10 DD & M6/DX-1/ stock coil
    Pontiac IL.

Beside my par-time job picking up change from the parks, I work for an IBM subcontractor. I Build these super computer cooling components and test them. I trying to get into IT. Got couple of certifications and getting ready for a big leap, but the uncertainty of the economy keep me from doing so. Live to Work, Work to Live.

I have been in Education for the past 16 years as a Health and Physical Education teacher. I also just finished my 21st year as a high school football coach in Ohio. I recently received my Masters Degree in Computer Technology and hope to move into the Technology classroom soon. Great to see so many occupations that make up this awesome detecting community.