Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast

Thread: What do you do for a living American Detectorists?

Re: What do you do for a living American Detectorists?

I've been a log truck driver since 1975.. I get to go out in the mountains and bring the logs to the saw mill. I have a great view out of my rolling office window most of the time. Before that I was a sliver picker in a plywood mill.
    Today is my day

Candidate Member

Retired Air Force Senior Master Sargent with 27 years service. Sold the house in Texas and now travel full time in 35 foot motorhome. May location changes with the season. Right now in Little Rock Arkansas visiting grandchildern.
    Glenn

The most recent Job that I had was repairing electronics, tv's, camcorders, anything someone would bring into the shop they wanted fixed. I spent a lot of years working at a factory in town called Kalamazoo Stamping and Die and we also made some International harvester parts too Goat! Mostly Ford though. I still work for cash or bartering by word of mouth though.

I'm a Technical Marketing Engineer for a large network manufacturing company. My products help keep your email clean and safe. If you are using them. If not... well...

I also have 2 other businesses on the side. I sell electronic components globally and repair old game consoles and computers from the 70s up through early 90s and repair video arcade game boards. The other business is selling metal detectors.

RJ
    If you're ever around Dallas and want to do some treasure hunting give me a shout!

RJ I just got some parts in the mail yesterday for a Wells Gardner board for an arcade game myself, it needed a flyback and horizonal output kit. Sounds like you do some of the same thumbsup01

Yup! Except I only fix monitors for myself. I don't do those for others. I'd rather work on Neo Geo boards.
    If you're ever around Dallas and want to do some treasure hunting give me a shout!

I retired from US Air Force where I flew C-130's and various other aircraft. Since then I have kept involved with the Air Force by flying as a contract pilot. For the past 18 months I've been working in Iraq working side by side with the Air Force helping the Iraqis get their Air Force back on it's feet. Aside from being away from my family I have loved this job and it has been one of the rewarding jobs I've ever had.

In about 3 weeks I'll be unemployed as this contract is coming to an end...as the sign says...I'll Fly For Food

Cheers,
    My4Kiwis
    "When My Ship Comes In, I'll Probably be At The Airport"

Whites V3i 10DD, 6x10DD, Sunray DX-1

Hi new here but I am an Operator at an Agricultural Chemical Plant and love it. Lots of diversity here on the forum nice to get to know all of you
    Loving my God, Being a husband and father, Detecting every chance I get!

Veteran Member

i am a telephone guy since 93. soldier before that . i work at a large southern university, where i sneak in detecting on campus when i can . keep swingin
    im an american proud and free, a son of the south dont tread on me

Im the mechanic for a golf course. I keep all the equipment running and sharp. thumbsup01
    Attached Images Attached Images       
    Having fun is what it is all about!

Is that a golf ball detector I see hanging on the wall? rofl
    Oh yeah! [img width=44 height=55]http://i145.photobucket.com/albums/r211/goatrancher/Smileys/Old.gif[/img] Well take this!

Quote Originally Posted by Goat Rancher View Post
    Is that a golf ball detector I see hanging on the wall? rofl
    No No, I believe it detects gophers lol I don't ever remember that being standard equipment in a maintenance area
    Finding relics is in my blood

GPX 5000, CTX 3030, E Trac, Vista Gold

Quote Originally Posted by coinnut View Post
    No No, I believe it detects gophers lol I don't ever remember that being standard equipment in a maintenance area
    The comedians have arrived... Actually, I found that detector up in the rafters when I started here. Its a whites classic. I assume it was just thrown up there some time ago. WITH THE BATTERIES IN IT! I had to take it apart and clean it and also needed a new battery pack to get it working. They say they used it for locating water valves that got covered up. Last year I did use it to find a valve box in the rough that was covered over with grass. What would they do with out me
    Having fun is what it is all about!

What a cool job!!! I bet you are the only guy who detects out there??!! I was temped to post a clip from Caddy Shack!!
    SeabeeRon on the beach in Santa Cruz,CA.

Candidate Member

Hi Everyone,
    I am a Ironworker out of Chicago Illinios, Local 1 thumbsup01

I own a landscape and tree service, Been on my own for 12 years..
    Someday, I wanna be a vampire

I'm a magazine Publisher. It's a coupon magazine called Great Deals, that mails into all the homes in different counties in Indiana. Also own a freelance design agency called Pewter Graphics, and have been a Graphic Designer for about 25 years.

No boss but the wife! Indy!!
    “Today’s the Day!” the Motto of Mel other unit, world's most famous Treasure Hunter

As you can prbably guess...Ex Navy guy...

Currently working as a Business Development Manager selling 3D Laser Scanners, 3D Color Printers, 3D CAM software, etc.

But don't be fooled by the technical geeky side as I am pure to the bone country boy and live as far away from civilization as my current area allows. If I can't hear cows bawling and roosters crowing in the morning than something is seriously wrong...

My spare time is consumed by MDing whenever possible...

group therapy foreman for a small phsycriatic hospital
    If it wasn't for flashbacks, i would have no memory at all

Was a Quality Assurance Rep for the Department of Defense DCMA for 28 years. Retired in 2002 at age 48 to go detecting full time. Presently do part time Quality Assurance work for a worldwide Service Organization. Only took that job because I get paid for mileage and travel time. Allows me to hit sites throughout New England with no out of pocket travel expenses. Doesn't get better than that. Also, I am a dealer for White's Electronics and a forum sponsor.
    Metal Detector, Inline Pinpointer, 6th Sense