Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Is it a coin?

Is it a coin?

My father's find with the Sov! What do you think?
    Attached Images Attached Images   
    Minelab E-Trac - Minelab Sovereign GT - Bounty Hunter Tracker IV - Tesoro Compadre
    Oldest find - 1804 Draped Bust Half Cent

Re: Is it a coin?

Looks like a Matron Head Large Cent to me. The first picture needs to be rotated a bit counter clockwise and you will see the nose, and forhead on the left. I think it's a copper thumbsup01
    Finding relics is in my blood

GPX 5000, CTX 3030, E Trac, Vista Gold

I agree that it definitely appears to be the size and color of a large cent. I think I am seeing the Matron Head after enlarging the photo, rotating it and enhancing it, but then my eyesight isn't what it used to be. :-\

There is a detail on the left that might be her nostril (or is it part of her hair?) and if my eyes aren't playing tricks on me that might even be part of the word LIBERTY across her headband.
    Lifetime totals:
    10 Large Cents, 415 Indian Heads, 2 Two Cent Pieces, 1 Capped Bust Half Dime, 1 Seated Half Dime, 10 Shield Nickels, 68 V Nickels, 124 Buffalo Nickels, 31 War Nickels, 16 Seated Dimes, 131 Barber Dimes, 405 Mercury Dimes, 249 Rosies, 4 Seated Quarters, 18 Barber Quarters, 20 Standing Liberty Quarters, 89 Silver Washingtons, 1 Seated Half, 3 Barber Halves, 16 Walking Liberty Halves

YouTube Channel: Tony Two-Cent https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCmz...RlHTBIU42bUORg

Quote Originally Posted by Tony Two-Cent link=topic=5807.msg68746#msg68746 date=1305300202
    There is a detail on the left that might be her nostril (or is it part of her hair?) and if my eyes aren't playing tricks on me that might even be part of the word LIBERTY across her headband.
    Yep, that's what I see. It's her jaw, nose and headband (where the deeply struck LIBERTY) would be. Then again, it could be an elephant juggling too lol

Elite Member

Tony and George, I think you ate those majic mushrooms,...I don't see any of that! lol

I would agree I think it may be an LC....a toasty one lol
    2014 Goals: 20 Silver, 5 Large Coppers, 1 Gold Coin (not anticipating being able to detect much this year; NEW BABY HERE!!)
    So Far: (0) Silver; (2) KG, LC 1807; (2) IH; (3) Buff

2013 Total: 36 Silver; 5LC (including 1 FUGIO)
    2012 Total:101 Silver; 11 LC

I blame George. His power of suggestion was clearly affecting the signals my eyeballs were sending to my brain. lol
    Lifetime totals:
    10 Large Cents, 415 Indian Heads, 2 Two Cent Pieces, 1 Capped Bust Half Dime, 1 Seated Half Dime, 10 Shield Nickels, 68 V Nickels, 124 Buffalo Nickels, 31 War Nickels, 16 Seated Dimes, 131 Barber Dimes, 405 Mercury Dimes, 249 Rosies, 4 Seated Quarters, 18 Barber Quarters, 20 Standing Liberty Quarters, 89 Silver Washingtons, 1 Seated Half, 3 Barber Halves, 16 Walking Liberty Halves

YouTube Channel: Tony Two-Cent https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCmz...RlHTBIU42bUORg

i see a full face and the word liberty
    If it wasn't for flashbacks, i would have no memory at all

As finder of the object, I want to thank everyone for their input. If nothing else, I'm fairly certain it's a coin and made of copper. The metal is non-magnetic and imparts a greenish tinge to a flame which is what convinces me it's copper. I'm really new to metal detecting so please bear with me. Since this thing is probably worthless anyway, how would you suggest I go about trying to clean this up further? I tried hot peroxide and also a paste of baking soda. Both helped a bit but should I go with something like a copper cleaner? I'm not trying to clean this for any reason other than curiousity to see if there are any details left on it.

Thanks for any input.

Bob
    Minelab E-trac; CTX 3030

Welcome to the forum Bob. I'd have to agree that its a coin. To try to get some detail out of it, maybe try using a small brass brush?
    Having fun is what it is all about!

Elite Member

I don't think there's any detail left on it to bring out.
    2014 Goals: 20 Silver, 5 Large Coppers, 1 Gold Coin (not anticipating being able to detect much this year; NEW BABY HERE!!)

Thank you both for the replies.

RobW: I know what you mean and I was just hoping to find the remnants of a vowel or a number or anything. It's just the desperation of a newbie and the first thing that I have found that wasn't a penny, dime or quarter (not that I have found many of those either).

Thanks again.
    Minelab E-trac; CTX 3030

Quote Originally Posted by bob_e99 link=topic=5807.msg70449#msg70449 date=1306329488

It's just the desperation of a newbie and the first thing that I have found that wasn't a penny, dime or quarter (not that I have found many of those either).
    Don't be modest, you found that nice silver ring! lol
    Minelab E-Trac - Minelab Sovereign GT - Bounty Hunter Tracker IV - Tesoro Compadre
    Oldest find - 1804 Draped Bust Half Cent

Elite Member

Quote Originally Posted by bob_e99 link=topic=5807.msg70449#msg70449 date=1306329488
    Thank you both for the replies.

RobW: I know what you mean and I was just hoping to find the remnants of a vowel or a number or anything. It's just the desperation of a newbie and the first thing that I have found that wasn't a penny, dime or quarter (not that I have found many of those either).

Thanks again.

Just gives you an incentive to go out and find one WITH better detail..... lol

It shows you can find it, it's out there...just waiting for you thumbsup01

If all else fails, try a few drops of ferric-chloride and a Q-tip.
    I live my life one target at a time
    since '68

May i suggest a prduct called barkeepers friend, rub it dry on the coin and you may determine what the item is.It is sold in most 1.00 stores.DO NOT USE IT ON VALUABLE COINS OR METALS.
    If it wasn't for flashbacks, i would have no memory at all

I've been meaning to get back to this but have been trying to spend more time detecting. After my attempts to 'clean' this object, this is what I have. Apparently it's identity is lost to history and I'm not going to spend any more time on it. My thanks to everyone for your ideas and comments.

Bowser, your initial response still cracks me up.

Happy hunting everyone.

Bob
    Attached Images Attached Images   
    Minelab E-trac; CTX 3030

Bob when the coin is that bad ( basically worn smooth and worthless) i take a scotch-brite pad to it and buff the sides until i can make an outline of something . i've had coins that i though were totally smooth and devoid of any design or anyhting and after the scotch-brite i could see some detail , well enough to id the coins.

Dan
    "Honesty is an expensive gift ,
    so don't expect it from cheap people"

XP Deus II , DFX ,TDI sl -

Click here to view my finds album

Thanks Dan. I'll pick some up and give it one last try. If anything does show up, I'll re-post pictures.

Bob
    Minelab E-trac; CTX 3030

Elite Member

George likes using sandpaper to bring out details

Quote Originally Posted by RobW link=topic=5807.msg73008#msg73008 date=1308670287
    George likes using sandpaper to bring out details
    You're such a big baby lol