View Poll Results: How Much MDing Do You Do In The Summer ?

Voters
30. You may not vote on this poll
  • As often as I can

22 73.33%
  • Only on the cooler days

5 16.67%
  • Not much

3 10.00%
  • Never

0 0%
  • Only in an air conditioned bar

0 0%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Summer Metal Detecting

Summer Metal Detecting

How Much MDing Do You Do In The Summer ?
    MXT Pro, Garrett Pro Pointer, 5.3 & and 950 coils, Sun Ray Pro Gold HP, Excalibur , 1000 coil, 2, Whites Dual Field PIs, Sovereign GT

Oldest Silver: 17?2 Half Reale

Oldest Coins: 1723 Halfpenny ,1729- ? KG 2rd Half Penny, 1786 Connecticut Copper, 1787 Fugio.

11@ 1807,8 Reale Counterfeit Cache

Re: Summer Metal Detecting

I go as often as I can. The heat doesn't bother me much physically, but on oppressively hot days (like today) I try to stay in the shade.

Also, when it is hot and dry I restrict my hunting to areas where my digging isn't going to leave an ugly brown spot on an otherwise green manicured lawn. I attempt to hunt on bare dirt, or on playgrounds or parks where the grass is already dead or absent, or in fields where it doesn't matter.

What I would like to know from forum members is, do you notice a significant decline in detector performance when the ground is dry? Do you not find as many deep targets?
    Lifetime totals:
    10 Large Cents, 415 Indian Heads, 2 Two Cent Pieces, 1 Capped Bust Half Dime, 1 Seated Half Dime, 10 Shield Nickels, 68 V Nickels, 124 Buffalo Nickels, 31 War Nickels, 16 Seated Dimes, 131 Barber Dimes, 405 Mercury Dimes, 249 Rosies, 4 Seated Quarters, 18 Barber Quarters, 20 Standing Liberty Quarters, 89 Silver Washingtons, 1 Seated Half, 3 Barber Halves, 16 Walking Liberty Halves

YouTube Channel: Tony Two-Cent https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCmz...RlHTBIU42bUORg

I worry more about damaging the ground then the heat. I'll take the heat any day over the freezing cold weather. I just can't take that anymore.

From what i have noticed it does effect depth but for some strange reason it seems like the masking isn't as bad either. Maybe i'm wrong on this theory and it just seems that way. I have done a lot of summer month hunting and it seems like i get shallow targets in places i've hunted before easier when it's dry. Or should i say the targets seem easier to determine. It might just be me though.

I'm all for the parks and out of the way spots during the summer months. Those nice old homes with the nice green lawns can wait till the fall. This is my first year with the V3i so I can't say anything about depth yet. I did notice on my prizm IV that on exceptionally dry days the depth of my targets was not great.
    V3i- Prism IV- Pro Pointer
    2020 GOAL: Any Flowing Hair coin

TOTAL 100 YEAR OLD COINS - -280
    2020:
    Silver: 11

Oldest U.S. Copper - 1795 Liberty Cap
    Oldest U.S. Silver - 1829 Capped Bust Dime extra large 10C
    Click here to view my album

The heat dosn't bother me but i try to stay out of the park turf do to damaging the grass .

Veteran Member

every day i can , too hot latley though
    Minelab E-Track ,Minelab SE, with stock coil, 10/12 sef coil , sunray 8 inch coil

silver count: 2011, 117 silvers , 20 indian heads

SORRY, meant to post this in the General Metal Detecting Discussion forum. 8/

If a moderator can put it over there I would appreciate it, thanks.
    MXT Pro, Garrett Pro Pointer, 5.3 & and 950 coils, Sun Ray Pro Gold HP, Excalibur , 1000 coil, 2, Whites Dual Field PIs, Sovereign GT

Oldest Coins: 1723 Halfpenny ,1729- ? KG 2rd Half Penny, 1786 Connecticut Copper, 1787 Fugio.

I said only on cooler days and don't mean it has to be in the 50's just as long as it's below the 90's I go often as I can.
    Just can't take the heat like I could in my younger days.
    Ricky

Veteran Member

here in GA we have had 11 sraight days of 90 plus heat. i work on tekephones so by the time i get off work im ready to chill . literally.
    im an american proud and free, a son of the south dont tread on me

Veteran Member

I hunted today in the Chicago burbs at a park I really like. The temp was at least 93 degrees. I just stayed in the shade as much as I could and drank a LOT of water.

Since I've not been feeling well, thats been a while now I get out early morning if its not to hot even then. Usually I can't take it by 10AM or 11AM and I'll call it for the day, anymore about 60 is perfect temp for me to detect. HH
    MXT300 D2,950,6x10,4x6

Since I hunt mostly in the woods, I don't have to worry about damage to the ground. I usually hunt in any temperature, hot or cold, but the hotter it gets, the more I pay for it the next day lol Hydration is definitely the key When you start to wander around just swinging the coil and looking dazed, it's time to pack it up and head home (if you remember which way home is ) lol
    Finding relics is in my blood

GPX 5000, CTX 3030, E Trac, Vista Gold

Quote Originally Posted by coinnut link=topic=6088.msg73088#msg73088 date=1308713294
    Since I hunt mostly in the woods, I don't have to worry about damage to the ground. I usually hunt in any temperature, hot or cold, but the hotter it gets, the more I pay for it the next day lol Hydration is definitely the key When you start to wander around just swinging the coil and looking dazed, it's time to pack it up and head home (if you remember which way home is ) lol
    I have to hand it to you, I don't know how you can deal with all the foliage, poison ivy, ticks, flying bugs and heat and humidity.

I am mostly a woods hunter also and attempted to give it a try last week, nada, just couldn't deal with all the BS and called it quits. :white:

If I didn't get poison ivy, I might try to stick it out and let the ticks enjoy their meal while enjoying my hobby but I guess I'm going to just have to wait until Fall. :-\

Quote Originally Posted by fsa46 link=topic=6088.msg73122#msg73122 date=1308740641
    I have to hand it to you, I don't know how you can deal with all the foliage, poison ivy, ticks, flying bugs and heat and humidity.

I am mostly a woods hunter also and attempted to give it a try last week, nada, just couldn't deal with all the BS and called it quits. :white:

If I didn't get poison ivy, I might try to stick it out and let the ticks enjoy their meal while enjoying my hobby but I guess I'm going to just have to wait until Fall. :-\
    I share your pain. I'm on my second case of poison ivy and have more mosquito bites than coins on this forum but my newness to this 'hobby' has sort of raised my tolerance level. Ticks, though, I draw the line. Can't stand the little crittas and if I find one attached to me, I'll probably switch to manicured fields.

Minelab E-trac; CTX 3030

lol When we go out, we are really careful about ticks. The correct clothes, bug spray, and mosquito nets if needed. Then all we have to deal with is the heat and lack of finds rofl If I caught poison ivy easily, I could see why you would not want to go out in the woods. I have seen some bad cases of it, but for me I have been lucky.
    Finding relics is in my blood

GPX 5000, CTX 3030, E Trac, Vista Gold

Quote Originally Posted by coinnut link=topic=6088.msg73161#msg73161 date=1308765417
    lol When we go out, we are really careful about ticks. The correct clothes, bug spray, and mosquito nets if needed. Then all we have to deal with is the heat and lack of finds rofl If I caught poison ivy easily, I could see why you would not want to go out in the woods. I have seen some bad cases of it, but for me I have been lucky.
    You made me realize how ill-prepared I am although to be honest, I got the PI from contacting the roots which is not really an excuse as I should be wearing gloves. After reading your post, I am definitely going to get better prepared for the woods.

Thanks.

Minelab E-trac; CTX 3030

Beyond just their general overall grossness, ticks are serious business because of Lyme disease. I avoid the woods except in the winter. I'm much more of a wimp than George and Dan.

I'm not allergic to poison ivy though.
    Minelab E-Trac/Sun Ray X-1 -- Minelab Sovereign GT/Sun Ray S-1 -- White's v3i/Sun Ray DX-1
    Fisher CZ3D -- Tesoro Tiger Shark -- Garrett ACE 250

Only when it's cooler---in the mid 80's....can't take the Houston heat and humidity, like I did when younger--------------a looooooong time ago----- lol lol............the high 90's temps and high 90's % humidity........makes it very uncomfortable to me. :white:

Robbie
    author of "Find More Silver Coinshooting Parks and Schools" by Robbie Morin
    contributor to- Camp Logan: Houston, Texas 1917-1919-by Louis Aulbach, Linda Gorski and Robbie Morin

I will hunt on the hottest day with a large hot dunkin coffee by my side. Though , I dont get much free time at the moment with the little one ,and my wife due with another in September. But, when I have time Im SWINGING!!!!
    We are not here for a long time, We are here for a good time. Happy Hunting!!
    ---------------------------------------------------------------
    Oldest coins: 1690's William III Copper
    1787 N J Copper, 1787 Ct Copper
    massdirtfisher@gmail.com

Mostly hunt beaches/water in summertime - but when things get right - rain/clouds/cooler - it's time to hit the turf! Gotta have a plan. gl and hh