Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Why Have Things Slowed Down ?

Why Have Things Slowed Down ?

Is it just me or have things really slowed down on this site ?

Don't even see some of the regulars posting as much.....
    MXT Pro, Garrett Pro Pointer, 5.3 & and 950 coils, Sun Ray Pro Gold HP, Excalibur , 1000 coil, 2, Whites Dual Field PIs, Sovereign GT

Oldest Silver: 17?2 Half Reale

Oldest Coins: 1723 Halfpenny ,1729- ? KG 2rd Half Penny, 1786 Connecticut Copper, 1787 Fugio.

11@ 1807,8 Reale Counterfeit Cache

Veteran Member

Re: Why Have Things Slowed Down ?

I guess with the rock hard dry ground around here, and the taller grass, the finds are getting less (at least that's the case with me). I've found silver now and again lately; just feel awkward posting it every time.

Hopefully everyone is ok. Haven't heard from Angel in a while, and he usually posts every day. Hopefully everything is ok with Angel and all who haven't posted lately.

Oldest: 1755 Spanish silver; 1800 half dime | 1842 seated half | 1857 seated quarter | 516 silver coins in 2011!

This is just a guess, but the country has experienced an unusual amount of really bad weather lately...severe storms and unreal heatwaves in some parts of the east. Could be that many folks just aren't getting the coil over targets as much as normal.

I've traveled a long way, and many of the roads weren't paved.

Yeah, I haven't seen any posts from Angel or Angie (Epi-Hunter) for a while and was wondering myself. I can say that in my part of the country it has been so hot and dry that I haven't been able to find much that is noteworthy. We did finally get quite a bit of rain though on Friday night and Saturday morning, so I detected for several hours yesterday but only found one older coin, a wheat cent.

The good news is while I was hunting that park yesterday a man came over to see if I was finding anything. He was with his kids at the park. He told me that he lived in a nearby small town on a lot where an old grade school previously stood. He said he also owns three adjacent empty lots and he invited me to hunt it all. (I didn't even ask!) So, I think I will head over there today.

But yeah, I have also noticed that it has been rather slow around here of late.
    Lifetime totals:
    10 Large Cents, 415 Indian Heads, 2 Two Cent Pieces, 1 Capped Bust Half Dime, 1 Seated Half Dime, 10 Shield Nickels, 68 V Nickels, 124 Buffalo Nickels, 31 War Nickels, 16 Seated Dimes, 131 Barber Dimes, 405 Mercury Dimes, 249 Rosies, 4 Seated Quarters, 18 Barber Quarters, 20 Standing Liberty Quarters, 89 Silver Washingtons, 1 Seated Half, 3 Barber Halves, 16 Walking Liberty Halves

YouTube Channel: Tony Two-Cent https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCmz...RlHTBIU42bUORg

I figured the same thing that's why I posted the Summer Hunting Poll. It got 59 views but only 9 replies, so there's not as much interaction as I would have hoped for on this site.
    MXT Pro, Garrett Pro Pointer, 5.3 & and 950 coils, Sun Ray Pro Gold HP, Excalibur , 1000 coil, 2, Whites Dual Field PIs, Sovereign GT

Oldest Silver: 17?2 Half Reale

Oldest Coins: 1723 Halfpenny ,1729- ? KG 2rd Half Penny, 1786 Connecticut Copper, 1787 Fugio.

11@ 1807,8 Reale Counterfeit Cache

Seems like the heat is probably the culprit. I've been on vacation, so that explains me being here. We got some rain and i was in a position to get out. After going back to work next week it will probably slow down some. I hope we get some steady rain, enough to keep the ground huntable.

Down in many southern states is has been very dry with no rain and the ground is hard as concrete.

Together with higher than normal temperatures, ( already been in the 100's a few days) it just isn't fun.

My mind might disagree sometimes-----but my old body can't take the heat and humidity like I could years ago :-\
    Robbie
    author of "Find More Silver Coinshooting Parks and Schools" by Robbie Morin
    contributor to- Camp Logan: Houston, Texas 1917-1919-by Louis Aulbach, Linda Gorski and Robbie Morin

I think the weather has played a major part. I've been able to detect only a couple of times, but most of my sites are rock-hard and it's too hot to be out.

I have been offline for much of the past few weeks, as this has been a particularly difficult time in my life, but things are improving and I will be posting more.
    Minelab E-Trac/Sun Ray X-1 -- Minelab Sovereign GT/Sun Ray S-1 -- White's v3i/Sun Ray DX-1
    Fisher CZ3D -- Tesoro Tiger Shark -- Garrett ACE 250

I been thinking the very same thing and was considering askig why myself,i think peoples lives have changed so much in different parts of the country that they don't have time to detect. I only get to detect an hour or two a week and find clad. i think things will turn around in a while ,the question is how long.
    If it wasn't for flashbacks, i would have no memory at all

Frank i'd agree with the consensus , the heat has been pretty brutal .
    "Honesty is an expensive gift ,
    so don't expect it from cheap people"

XP Deus II , DFX ,TDI sl -

Click here to view my finds album

here for me its the darn rain had plans to get out the whole weekend but rain pretty much steady here in vermont looks like even mon an tues. suppose to be rainy

I suppose I could write up a post showing my Barber half, Seated Dime, Morgan dollar, and Peace dollar...there's just one problem...I haven't found them yet! 8/ I've been going on sunrise hunts pretty much every weekend, but silvers are proving to be elusive, and my wheats, clads, and other odd/ends aren't worthy of a post, in my opinion.

Hope to contribute more posts soon though. Need to find Lady Luck first.
    Minelab E-trac, Sunray X1 probe

2011 Silver goal: 20 (14 YTD- 8 Rosies, 5 Mercury Head dimes, 1 Barber dime)
    2011 Clad goal: $50 ($132.50 year to date)

A busy work week and the heat minimized my evening hunts last week. BUT... the temp is
    70 degrees right now and I have every intention of getting some swing time after dinner tonight. <:
    Maybe I'll finally unearth my first Barber half tonight.

I think it's just the natural ebb and flow of the forum lol It usually slows down in the summer since there are more things to do. I for one have been working a lot more than usual and not liking it very much rofl >:/ Detecting for me is usually once a week, maybe twice if I am lucky. But I post them as I get them lol But really, I haven't had a chance to see everyone's posts and have missed quite a few. Never take it personally that only a few people post on your post. A lot of times I read some and say I will get back and post on them later, but run out of time I still like coming here and like the people here, even if it slows down every once in a while. But if I find that cache of colonial silver coins, you can bet I'll be posting it <: |) lol
    Finding relics is in my blood

GPX 5000, CTX 3030, E Trac, Vista Gold

Quote Originally Posted by coinnut link=topic=6116.msg72079#msg72079 date=1307924114
    But if I find that cache of colonial silver coins, you can bet I'll be posting it <: |) lol
    :-> :-> :-> :-> :->

Just the other day I PM'ed Robw and asked the same thing where are the posts. Granted the rain, and my foot is in a lot of pain has kept me in. Got 3 wheats yesterday in one hole but I decided it was not worthy of a post. I'm thinking of posting previous finds and hope to get ID's on some of them.
    V3i- Prism IV- Pro Pointer
    2020 GOAL: Any Flowing Hair coin

TOTAL 100 YEAR OLD COINS - -280
    2020:
    Silver: 11

Oldest U.S. Copper - 1795 Liberty Cap
    Oldest U.S. Silver - 1829 Capped Bust Dime extra large 10C
    Click here to view my album

Elite Member

Between ALL the rain, more work, and even when I do get out to hunt...not finding a %^&%&^% thing >{ >:#....haven't had anything to post. :white:
    2014 Goals: 20 Silver, 5 Large Coppers, 1 Gold Coin (not anticipating being able to detect much this year; NEW BABY HERE!!)
    So Far: (0) Silver; (2) KG, LC 1807; (2) IH; (3) Buff

2013 Total: 36 Silver; 5LC (including 1 FUGIO)
    2012 Total:101 Silver; 11 LC

Quote Originally Posted by RobW link=topic=6116.msg72144#msg72144 date=1307974638
    Between ALL the rain, more work, and even when I do get out to hunt...not finding a %^&%&^% thing >{ >:#....haven't had anything to post. :white:
    This group knows better than anyone that there are still many, many old coins and relics to find, but at the same time, the low hanging fruit is drying up. Old stuff isn't being lost any more. It's a finite resource and there is less and less of it every day. Maybe the reduced number of posts isn't just due to weather and lack of time to hunt? My guess is that we're not quite to the days when public property finds are few and far between (as Angel proves, there is a lot out there) but it will only get harder. It'll be interesting to see what posts look like in 5 years, 10 years, 25 years, etc.
    Minelab E-trac, Sunray X1 probe

2011 Silver goal: 20 (14 YTD- 8 Rosies, 5 Mercury Head dimes, 1 Barber dime)
    2011 Clad goal: $50 ($132.50 year to date)

Veteran Member

I HAVENT AS MUCH LATLEY , BEEN TO HOT AND BEEN BUSY PUTTING A NEW ROOF ON MY HOUSE , I LOVE THIS SITE , NO MATTER WHAT
    Minelab E-Track ,Minelab SE, with stock coil, 10/12 sef coil , sunray 8 inch coil

silver count: 2011, 117 silvers , 20 indian heads

Veteran Member

Quote Originally Posted by Epi-hunter link=topic=6116.msg72048#msg72048 date=1307890110
    I think the weather has played a major part. I've been able to detect only a couple of times, but most of my sites are rock-hard and it's too hot to be out.

I have been offline for much of the past few weeks, as this has been a particularly difficult time in my life, but things are improving and I will be posting more.
    Hope all is well, god bless
    Minelab E-Track ,Minelab SE, with stock coil, 10/12 sef coil , sunray 8 inch coil

silver count: 2011, 117 silvers , 20 indian heads