Thread: Member Article - The Anatomy Of A Parkway Strip

Member Article - The Anatomy Of A Parkway Strip

Just wanted to let all members know that Jack (CyberSage) has written a very helpful, practical, and informative article on detecting parkway strips. The article, The Anatomy Of A Parkway Strip, has been posted at the American Detectorist home page. The article has been split into four parts. Links to the rest of the article are included at the bottom of each article page. Enjoy!

Thank you for your excellent contribution, Jack!

Re: Member Article - The Anatomy Of A Parkway Strip

I really enjoyed reading that artical, thanks for posting it Angel.

Also, a big thanks to you, Jack....not only for writing it but for the great job in which it was presented.
    MXT Pro, Garrett Pro Pointer, 5.3 & and 950 coils, Sun Ray Pro Gold HP, Excalibur , 1000 coil, 2, Whites Dual Field PIs, Sovereign GT

Oldest Silver: 17?2 Half Reale

Oldest Coins: 1723 Halfpenny ,1729- ? KG 2rd Half Penny, 1786 Connecticut Copper, 1787 Fugio.

11@ 1807,8 Reale Counterfeit Cache

Very nicely written, thanks for the contribution. I live in a neighborhood built up in the 1920's, I think I need to start right close to home.
    Minelab Equinox 600 & Whites Coinmaster, Garrett Propointer, Lesche Digger
    Oldest silver: 1853 Half-dime & 1876S Seated Quarter / Oldest coin: 1849 US Large Cent / 1854 Upper Canada One Penny Bank Token

Good job Jack!!
    SeabeeRon on the beach in Santa Cruz,CA.

Elite Member

Very nice article I too do some curbing. I also do Island Hopping...that median in the road and I have pulled some great keepers from there, including the One Reale that I found earlier this year.
    2014 Goals: 20 Silver, 5 Large Coppers, 1 Gold Coin (not anticipating being able to detect much this year; NEW BABY HERE!!)
    So Far: (0) Silver; (2) KG, LC 1807; (2) IH; (3) Buff

2013 Total: 36 Silver; 5LC (including 1 FUGIO)
    2012 Total:101 Silver; 11 LC

Curbing can keep me close to home
    V3i- Prism IV- Pro Pointer
    2020 GOAL: Any Flowing Hair coin

TOTAL 100 YEAR OLD COINS - -280
    2020:
    Silver: 11

Oldest U.S. Copper - 1795 Liberty Cap
    Oldest U.S. Silver - 1829 Capped Bust Dime extra large 10C
    Click here to view my album

I read this rather quickly, so maybe I missed it if it was there somewhere...did Jack say anything about methodology for tecting up next to reinforced cement? It sure plays hell with pinpointing.

Superbly written article Jack! I'll study this in more depth.Thanks. martin

Martin,
    If you look towards the bottom of page two, just above The Play Zone , you should see the comments on technique. This should work around wire mesh reinforcement.

Jack
    "Knowledge counts but common sense matters." ~ LouAnne Johnson

Minelab E-Trac - Whites Vision/V3 - JeTco GTX Huntmaster - Whites Bullseye TRX - Garrett Pro-Pointer

That article is very well written and helpful. Thanks for putting it together!
    Minelab E-trac, Sunray X1 probe

2011 Silver goal: 20 (14 YTD- 8 Rosies, 5 Mercury Head dimes, 1 Barber dime)
    2011 Clad goal: $50 ($132.50 year to date)

Thank you Viking. It was a fun article to write. You will notice that most of the pictures show my trusty DFX and Super12 coil. I found a lot of great stuff over the course of a year or so. I still hit a parkway every once in awhile. Good times for sure.

Jack

Minelab E-Trac - Whites Vision/V3 - JeTco GTX Huntmaster - Whites Bullseye TRX - Garrett Pro-Pointer

Jack's article is one of the most insightful and complete tutorials I've ever seen written for detecting. Even if you don't have the opportunity to hit parkways, his article is full of methods to make the reader better at dealing with the general public.

Great Job, Jack!!! thumbsup01 thumbsup01 thumbsup01
    I've traveled a long way, and many of the roads weren't paved.

I can't say anything about other parts of the country, but in Pasaena, Texas the area between the sidewalk and the street is the property of the homeowner. The utility companies have easement rights but it is the homeowner who is responsible for the maintenance. I would be HIGHLY ticked if I saw someone digging on my property. Now the median strip is another story......

... and this is exactly why I put such a high emphasis on knowing your local laws and working with the adjacent property owner. You would be foolhardy to blindly go out and start detecting parkway strips without doing your research. The larger the town the more likely that they have on-line maps showing public, and private easements. This is a great place to start your research. We do not want the property owners HIGHLY ticked. lol

Jack