Thread: How Do You Measure Success ?

How Do You Measure Success ?

How do you measure success when Mding ?

The last couple mornings I have been hunting a spot ( cellar hole ) that I am certain has been hunted a lot. It is close to home and not grown over as bad as other places I would hunt this time of year.

I pulled out three IH ( 1864, 1874, 1897 ) in two hunts, putting in about 5 hours.

Granted, this isn't something to write home about, but taking into consideration how many people have hunted this spot, I was satisfied with the results.

I guess it just doesn't take much to satisfy me....

I look forward to hunting this spot again in the Fall as a last minute go to spot and see if I can find more goodies.

MXT Pro, Garrett Pro Pointer, 5.3 & and 950 coils, Sun Ray Pro Gold HP, Excalibur , 1000 coil, 2, Whites Dual Field PIs, Sovereign GT

Oldest Silver: 17?2 Half Reale

Oldest Coins: 1723 Halfpenny ,1729- ? KG 2rd Half Penny, 1786 Connecticut Copper, 1787 Fugio.

11@ 1807,8 Reale Counterfeit Cache

Re: How Do You Measure Success ?

this is a great question Frank and i'm sure it will be answered in many different replies too . it will be very interesting to hear what everyone's (knowing what kind of detecting they do ) detecting minimum expectations are when they go out .

well for a full day (atleast six hours ) , my idea of just a successful day out cellar hunting is maybe a half a dozen old buttons and a decent relic ( shoe buckle frame or something ) or a coin ( it could be anything atleast as old as an indian ).

but i'm usually just happy to find more than Coinnut.

Dan
    "Honesty is an expensive gift ,
    so don't expect it from cheap people"

XP Deus II , DFX ,TDI sl -

Click here to view my finds album

Veteran Member

I would certainly measure that hunt as successful. My disappointment level is less than one non-clad/non-wheatie per two hours, and my real happy level is better than one per hour.
    Oldest: 1755 Spanish silver; 1800 half dime | 1842 seated half | 1857 seated quarter | 516 silver coins in 2011!

Success is measured by whether I am in a better mood when I get home than I was when I left. To that end, making finds goes a long way (especially good ones). But often, just being outside and having time to think is enough.
    Minelab E-Trac - Minelab Sovereign GT - Bounty Hunter Tracker IV - Tesoro Compadre
    Oldest find - 1804 Draped Bust Half Cent

At the end of the day I ask myself two questions.

1. Are you still alive?
    2. Did you go detecting?

If I can answer YES to either, then I am happy. lol

If I can answer YES to both, then the day was a huge success!
    "Knowledge counts but common sense matters." ~ LouAnne Johnson

Minelab E-Trac - Whites Vision/V3 - JeTco GTX Huntmaster - Whites Bullseye TRX - Garrett Pro-Pointer

Success for me is when I feel comfortable detecting. I have to be relaxed and be able to just concentrate on detecting. I love to get focused when I hunt, otherwise I would just wander around swinging the coil lol My most successful days (finds wise) are always when I am relaxed. Nothing beats finding great coins and relics, and being perfectly relaxed mentally from the day's hunt. I remember a hunt where I went climbing hill after hill after hill, looking for a picnic spot. The total haul was 2 coins. The excercise and scenery was priceless.
    Finding relics is in my blood

GPX 5000, CTX 3030, E Trac, Vista Gold

CyberSage pretty much said it all .

Veteran Member

I get out in the fresh air , a plus for me , met some great folks , good therapy for my back and ankle , some very neat finds , find a ring for a distraut wife , her late husbands ring , finding a morgan dollar ring for a friend , made by her grand father all you folks , Joe my hunting buddy , great guy, peace of mind and some ideas for a few original songs ive written since i started the journey,,,,,,
    Minelab E-Track ,Minelab SE, with stock coil, 10/12 sef coil , sunray 8 inch coil

silver count: 2011, 117 silvers , 20 indian heads

A successful hunt to me is when I get my head in the game, swing slow, and am focused. Whether I find any cool coins or relics is not that important to me on those type of hunts. I think we have our casual hunts or short hunts on the way to or from whereever, but those solid 3-4+ hour hunts where you know you got the most out of your machine that you could, that is gratifying. Also, when I come away with a coin or relic target intermixed with iron and lots of trash, I always feel good about that!
    Minelab Equinox 600 & Whites Coinmaster, Garrett Propointer, Lesche Digger
    Oldest silver: 1853 Half-dime & 1876S Seated Quarter / Oldest coin: 1849 US Large Cent / 1854 Upper Canada One Penny Bank Token

I guess I measure a hunt by
    A. Did my research help & pay off? This could be tot lot hunting or CW fort hunting.
    B. Did I get any older coins? Here in so az an old one can be a wheaty.
    C. Am I happy I went out ? Especially when the heat goes up.
    D. Did I find things that others missed ? With so many detectorists here it's a real challenge any more.
    E. Probably a real test is did I add anything to a collection at home ?

I almost always go alone and we have absolutely no water around for people to lose things - so I cannot help someone out by finding stuff. I will have to say that if I have a negative attitude I don't go out. Things just dont seem to work with that.
    Steve in so az
    Fisher 1266X - Lesche digger
    Headband

You said you was satisfied with what you found so I would say that was a success.
    To me the hobby is about getting out enjoying the great outdoors and just seeing what I can find I have found several things I have no idea what they are but they're interesting none the less.
    I enjoy it where I find anything of value like coins or just something old.
    Ricky

Veteran Member

any day you can put your shoes on and tie them is a sucessfull day . think small and hope for the best . as long as you are happy with what you find , thats really all that matters .i went hunting this morning and found 2 dimes and a penny . but i had fun doing it
    im an american proud and free, a son of the south dont tread on me

At this point of my early career in detecting, if it's round and flat and in the original hole that I dug, then I'm doing pretty good. If I have to use the backhoe, then I'm not having a good day. lol

Minelab E-trac; CTX 3030