Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Hunt for old silver

Hunt for old silver

Had the pleasure of getting out with Steve (1147SILVER) at one of his sites. We didn't have much time to detect but a couple of hours. But what a site it was I'm sworn to secrecy, so all I can tell you is that it is in the USA lol Thanks Steve for letting me tag along. Here's the junk first...not too much

[attachimg=1]

And all of the better finds

[attachimg=2]

Got 8 quarters, 3 dimes, 9 Memorials, 7 Wheats, 1 Indian (1889) and 1 lovely Seated Dime (1877)

[attachimg=3]

Also got a very old watch winder and some kind of ornate handle

[attachimg=4]

Here's the Indian and the cleaned Seated Dime

[attachimg=5]

[attachimg=6]

Thanks again Steve for a great hunt. I may be getting the hang of this turf hunting
    Attached Images Attached Images       
    Finding relics is in my blood

GPX 5000, CTX 3030, E Trac, Vista Gold

Re: Hunt for old silver

That seated looks so pretty! The Indian Head cent isn't bad either. I need to get out to detect. Nice hunt! I hope Steve did well too.

Very nice hunt there. Secrecy sometimes can be bought, got a price in mind. That seated is excellent looking. Congrats
    V3i- Prism IV- Pro Pointer
    2020 GOAL: Any Flowing Hair coin

TOTAL 100 YEAR OLD COINS - -280
    2020:
    Silver: 11

Oldest U.S. Copper - 1795 Liberty Cap
    Oldest U.S. Silver - 1829 Capped Bust Dime extra large 10C
    Click here to view my album

Nice digs! A good mix of pretty coins and cool relics!
    Minelab E-trac, Sunray X1 probe

2011 Silver goal: 20 (14 YTD- 8 Rosies, 5 Mercury Head dimes, 1 Barber dime)
    2011 Clad goal: $50 ($132.50 year to date)

that gps tracking chip under your coil cover works wonders!
    nice hunt man!
    2008-14 coppers
    2009-32 coppers
    2010-34 coppers 2-GW buttons
    2011- 80 & 3/4 coppers 1-GW button
    2012- 92 coppers/large cents 1-GW button
    2013- 57 1/4 coppers 6- GW Buttons
    2014- 69 coppers 1-GW button
    2015- 20 1/4 coppers
    2016-44 coppers 1-GW button
    2017-19 & 1/2 coppers
    2018-19 coppers 1-GW
    2019-5 coppers
    click to see my photo album

Veteran Member

Wow, those are a couple of beautiful old coins I just know you'd share with out of towners lol
    Oldest: 1755 Spanish silver; 1800 half dime | 1842 seated half | 1857 seated quarter | 516 silver coins in 2011!

Great digs! I'd do some terrible things to find a dime like that. lol Congrats!
    Minelab E-Trac - Minelab Sovereign GT - Bounty Hunter Tracker IV - Tesoro Compadre
    Oldest find - 1804 Draped Bust Half Cent

Careful G, you may turn into one of us commoners. lol lol
    Minelab E-Trac, Minelab CTX 3030, XP Deus, Tesoro Cortes

Thanks, everyone, but you all get this lol This site is top secret It was real nice of Steve to share it I think I'm liking this turf hunting It's not so bad being a commoner lol

Great hunt! I love the Indian Head and the Seated Dime!

My first seated coin is still eluding me, but I haven't given up hope!

Congrats on the wonderful finds!
    Lifetime totals:
    10 Large Cents, 415 Indian Heads, 2 Two Cent Pieces, 1 Capped Bust Half Dime, 1 Seated Half Dime, 10 Shield Nickels, 68 V Nickels, 124 Buffalo Nickels, 31 War Nickels, 16 Seated Dimes, 131 Barber Dimes, 405 Mercury Dimes, 249 Rosies, 4 Seated Quarters, 18 Barber Quarters, 20 Standing Liberty Quarters, 89 Silver Washingtons, 1 Seated Half, 3 Barber Halves, 16 Walking Liberty Halves

YouTube Channel: Tony Two-Cent https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCmz...RlHTBIU42bUORg

Great job on the Seated dime there George! Is it me, or does it seem like this is the year for Seated coins.. seems like everyone is finding them... except for me :white:
    Equipment: Garrett AT Pro

Quote Originally Posted by catskillcomics link=topic=6354.msg74470#msg74470 date=1310089461
    Is it me, or does it seem like this is the year for Seated coins.. seems like everyone is finding them... except for me :white:
    I don't know what's going on I have found more Seated this year than Mercs I ain't complaining though lol I'm hoping it is because I am getting the hang of the E Trac for finding deeper coins at parks and finding the tiny targets at cellar holes. Or it could just be luck lol Hope you get one soon.

I can only dream of such things right now! Thanks for the inspiration bro.
    Ace 250 - new but loving it!

Man that Seated dime looks awesome. I can't wait to add one of those to my book.
    Nice bunch of finds Coinnut. <:
    Looks to be a great place to hunt.

Nice going George those are some great coins .

Way to go George!! Sweet Seated!! Congrats!! Happy Hunting!!
    We are not here for a long time, We are here for a good time. Happy Hunting!!
    ---------------------------------------------------------------
    Oldest coins: 1690's William III Copper
    1787 N J Copper, 1787 Ct Copper
    massdirtfisher@gmail.com

Nice George! I just hope you didn't see me in the black lincoln town car with black shades watching from afar.

Well george thanks for the lesson I got 4 wheats 1 1914 and the rest 1940s and some clad I love the seated indians are nice but the seated is good I was told by the caretaker that there is an area where people took walks Im go on tuesday with the x5 till 900 I going to focus on tree belt at a snail pace maybe I will find something awesome I KNOW ITS THERE IM POSITIVE you or myself will find something fantastic like you said we will find the pocket. I got permisson on a another spot for us as well 1800s church and church school. well thanks again my friend

Steve

Quote Originally Posted by 1147SILVER link=topic=6354.msg74592#msg74592 date=1310262371
    Well george thanks for the lesson I got 4 wheats 1 1914 and the rest 1940s and some clad I love the seated indians are nice but the seated is good I was told by the caretaker that there is an area where people took walks Im go on tuesday with the x5 till 900 I going to focus on tree belt at a snail pace maybe I will find something awesome I KNOW ITS THERE IM POSITIVE you or myself will find something fantastic like you said we will find the pocket. I got permisson on a another spot for us as well 1800s church and church school. well thanks again my friend

Steve
    No, Thank you for taking me along on your adventures Steve lol thumbsup01 I hope you do real well on Tuesday There is lots more there, but you have to move quick. You never know when they will pull the plug on digging there

Thanks for reminding me what silver looks like >:\ >:\ very nice seated thumbsup01