Thread: cellar detecting w/ Coinnut

cellar detecting w/ Coinnut

well today we tried to find a couple new cellar sites , it was a long hike in the hot , humid and bug infested woods. we were unable to locate them so George and i decided to hit the numerous rock walled , overgrown fields . Coinnut immediately scored first with a very nice complete colonial knee buckle but that was it so we searched out for something and i came across this small site

it was a small 12x14 square where a building use to sit , outlined by stones now . George and i worked it for a while but only iron from around 1900 showed up , we think it could be an old hunters shack or farmers shed and not colonial related.
    it was really frustrating as there were stone walls everywhere and walled in pens,fields but not one cellar site. we dicided to leave and as we went down a hill we spotted this .

but we found out this spot had been pounded hard as they only left some small bits of scraps , really strange how its not on any maps and out in the middle of nowhere but someone pounded it hard.

so after the long hike back to the Jeep >:{ we decided to hit the ol' standby site that continues to put out keepers . we were only there for a few hours and i went straight to the field that had a hot spot last week (where i found my 2 cent coin) today was about as good there . a few buttons , a toe tap , and a couple of coins (a very beat up fat indian , an a 1850 large cent) in the same hole

heres the goods

a nice little two piece button of a rose uncleaned

and the same after i cleaned it

the large cent uncleaned

and it all cleaned up

thanks for looking all .

Dan
    "Honesty is an expensive gift ,
    so don't expect it from cheap people"

XP Deus II , DFX ,TDI sl -

Click here to view my finds album

Re: cellar detecting w/ Coinnut

Looks like an awesome hunt to me.
    When you say you were unable to locate them, sounds like you knew a few cellar holes were suppose to be in the area. Are you trying to
    find sites listed on an old map? Just curious.
    I don't think I've heard of a large and small cent spill before... <: Cool find.
    Congrats on the finds and braving the heat. I was thinking about going out tonight but quickly changed
    my mind after I cut the grass. lol

Quote Originally Posted by jkress link=topic=6374.msg74606#msg74606 date=1310270450
    Looks like an awesome hunt to me.
    When you say you were unable to locate them, sounds like you knew a few cellar holes were suppose to be in the area. Are you trying to
    find sites listed on an old map? Just curious.
    thanks Joe atleast one site was suppose to be on a map i have but the area looked like it could of easily have a couple more . then when we saw all the stone walls , we knew there had to be a couple in the area but with all the foliage on the trees visibility is cut down considerably.

Very nice finds Del .
    Civil War Nut
    V3, V3i, 4" 6" 8" (3) 10" 12" DD super coils

That button cleaned up nice thumbsup01 Congrats on breaking into the 1850's on that large cent too. Man did we do a lot of hiking but it was still fun getting out all day. Finds were scarce to say the least, in the beginning of the hunt. But we made up for it in the end. I really thought with that knee buckle being found right off the bat, we were in for a 10 copper day lol My 2 cent piece is an 1864 and the fattie Indian is an 1860. Here's all my goods.

Dug a bit more junk than last hunt. Desperation does set in after a while lol

[attachimg=1]

Here is the better finds for the day

[attachimg=2]

And the knee buckle does have a bit of silver left on it after all

[attachimg=3]

I wish I was out detecting again today
    Attached Images Attached Images       
    Finding relics is in my blood

GPX 5000, CTX 3030, E Trac, Vista Gold

holy mackerel Geoerge that knee buckle is gorgeous it doesn't look silver washed but plated instead great piece , i guess we now know why that site was so pounded if they were finding items like that. congrat's my friend

Awesome buckle !! Nice hunt guys
    Someday, I wanna be a vampire

Congrats guys on scoring some great finds. Best of luck to you both on your next visit to that place. Happy Hunting!!
    We are not here for a long time, We are here for a good time. Happy Hunting!!
    ---------------------------------------------------------------
    Oldest coins: 1690's William III Copper
    1787 N J Copper, 1787 Ct Copper
    massdirtfisher@gmail.com

Quote Originally Posted by del link=topic=6374.msg74608#msg74608 date=1310270861
    thanks Joe atleast one site was suppose to be on a map i have but the area looked like it could of easily have a couple more . then when we saw all the stone walls , we knew there had to be a couple in the area but with all the foliage on the trees visibility is cut down considerably.
    Man... the cellar hole hunting you guys do is a completely different type of hunting than what I do. It is fascinating. Definitely the thrill of the hunt.
    One of these days I am going to give that type of hunting some serious attention.

Quote Originally Posted by coinnut link=topic=6374.msg74620#msg74620 date=1310288204
    Here is the better finds for the day
    Wow, great bunch of old relics George. Looks like you two had a fun day. Love the knee buckle. She's a beauty.
    Congrats. One of these years I need to make a trip out there to the East coast. Just swinging my coil over such history
    rich ground would be thrilling.
    Best of luck on your next hunt guys.

nice day out fella's! Dan you were long overdue on a copper.Great knee buckle G!
    mosquito's and deer flies were brutal today.they laugh at deet i swear! >:/
    2008-14 coppers
    2009-32 coppers
    2010-34 coppers 2-GW buttons
    2011- 80 & 3/4 coppers 1-GW button
    2012- 92 coppers/large cents 1-GW button
    2013- 57 1/4 coppers 6- GW Buttons
    2014- 69 coppers 1-GW button
    2015- 20 1/4 coppers
    2016-44 coppers 1-GW button
    2017-19 & 1/2 coppers
    2018-19 coppers 1-GW
    2019-5 coppers
    click to see my photo album

Nice goin guys! The Large Cent looks fabulous after your cleaning. And G that knee buckle is buckling my knees.

Yeah that knee buckle is something else George thumbsup01 Love the before and after shots

And a big to your 1850 LC Dan! It really cleaned up nice
    Oldest silver-- 1838o seated dime (no stars)
    Oldest copper-- 1820 LC

White's V3i, Coinmaster, XLT, Prism IV, Whites new TRX PP- Love it!!! Garretts PP

Congrats on some fantastic finds guys, that's some great hunting!
    Minelab Equinox 600 & Whites Coinmaster, Garrett Propointer, Lesche Digger
    Oldest silver: 1853 Half-dime & 1876S Seated Quarter / Oldest coin: 1849 US Large Cent / 1854 Upper Canada One Penny Bank Token

You guys really did some treking that day. The rose button cleaned up beautiful and how did you clean that LC? You guys don't give up, congrats on all your finds
    V3i- Prism IV- Pro Pointer
    2020 GOAL: Any Flowing Hair coin

TOTAL 100 YEAR OLD COINS - -280
    2020:
    Silver: 11

Oldest U.S. Copper - 1795 Liberty Cap
    Oldest U.S. Silver - 1829 Capped Bust Dime extra large 10C
    Click here to view my album