Thread: Detecting Protocol

Detecting Protocol

I was wondering if someone could tell me what the protocol is if you show up at a small to medium site and another detectorist is already there. Do you go ahead and hunt or just leave? At a large site, I don't see a problem but I don't know about smaller sites.

Thanks for any input.
    Minelab E-trac; CTX 3030

Re: Detecting Protocol

i for one would love to see another detectorist ( one i've never met before)at one of our colonial cellar sites just to meet and compare notes about the site or a few others. then i'd stick around and hunt the area with him , a little friendly competition is healthy for ya.

Dan
    "Honesty is an expensive gift ,
    so don't expect it from cheap people"

XP Deus II , DFX ,TDI sl -

Click here to view my finds album

There have been several times when other detectorists showed up at a site I was working, but often they would just start to detect and not say much. The sites have been large enough though. In the cases where there were others already detecting at a site I had intended to hit, I would attempt to engage a short chat to try and gauge the mood. lol If the fellow seemed a tad wound up I would just head elsewhere, otherwise I would ask him if he minded company.

angellionel said my thoughts exactly. If one is obviously not wanted then come back later if needs be, Steve in so az
    Fisher 1266X - Lesche digger
    Headband

Thank you again everyone for your input. It is very much appreciated.

Bob
    Minelab E-trac; CTX 3030

My thoughts are if the area is not large, I don't go. I used to pass Rob all the time he was doing the green and I never stopped because to me that was his area. We evently did meet up on a street tearout. I had a farm that I was working for a long time in Southampton which gave up seated, barbers, mercs, rosies, LC's IH's, 2 cent, wheats so I didn't feel like I was missing anything on the green. After Rob and I had met I took him to the farm and he took me to the green. It's all good.....
    V3i- Prism IV- Pro Pointer
    2020 GOAL: Any Flowing Hair coin

TOTAL 100 YEAR OLD COINS - -280
    2020:
    Silver: 11

Oldest U.S. Copper - 1795 Liberty Cap
    Oldest U.S. Silver - 1829 Capped Bust Dime extra large 10C
    Click here to view my album

I always say hello, and ask if they are doing any good. Most folks in my experience are eager to have someone to hunt with. If the situation is reversed and someone approaches me, I always ask them to join me for the hunt. Always makes for fun hunts.
    "Knowledge counts but common sense matters." ~ LouAnne Johnson

Minelab E-Trac - Whites Vision/V3 - JeTco GTX Huntmaster - Whites Bullseye TRX - Garrett Pro-Pointer

Quote Originally Posted by CyberSage link=topic=6387.msg74734#msg74734 date=1310389701
    I always say hello, and ask if they are doing any good. Most folks in my experience are eager to have someone to hunt with. If the situation is reversed and someone approaches me, I always ask them to join me for the hunt. Always makes for fun hunts.
    Same here......Nobody can get it all in any given area, and most other detectorists welcome a buddy to hunt with.
    Robbie
    author of "Find More Silver Coinshooting Parks and Schools" by Robbie Morin
    contributor to- Camp Logan: Houston, Texas 1917-1919-by Louis Aulbach, Linda Gorski and Robbie Morin

I would hunt it. I would always chat with that person at some point in the hunt. If I were there first, I would not feel bad about some company. If he were there and it was public property, I would go as far away from him as possible and then hunt behind him. That way he can't say I jumped in front of him lol If someone was upset that I showed up on public property, then I probably wouldn't want to know him anyways lol
    Finding relics is in my blood

GPX 5000, CTX 3030, E Trac, Vista Gold

coinnut - It's kinda fun to go behind others and dig what they miss Steve in so az
    Fisher 1266X - Lesche digger
    Headband

Quote Originally Posted by coinnut link=topic=6387.msg74756#msg74756 date=1310415571
    If someone was upset that I showed up on public property, then I probably wouldn't want to know him anyways lol
    Exactly! And I agree with what the others have said as well.
    Minelab Equinox 600 & Whites Coinmaster, Garrett Propointer, Lesche Digger
    Oldest silver: 1853 Half-dime & 1876S Seated Quarter / Oldest coin: 1849 US Large Cent / 1854 Upper Canada One Penny Bank Token

Quote Originally Posted by coinnut link=topic=6387.msg74756#msg74756 date=1310415571
    I would hunt it. I would always chat with that person at some point in the hunt. If I were there first, I would not feel bad about some company. If he were there and it was public property, I would go as far away from him as possible and then hunt behind him. That way he can't say I jumped in front of him lol If someone was upset that I showed up on public property, then I probably wouldn't want to know him anyways lol
    Hey del Isn't this how you got stuck with coinnut? lol
    "Knowledge counts but common sense matters." ~ LouAnne Johnson

Minelab E-Trac - Whites Vision/V3 - JeTco GTX Huntmaster - Whites Bullseye TRX - Garrett Pro-Pointer

Quote Originally Posted by CyberSage link=topic=6387.msg74777#msg74777 date=1310429169
    Hey del Isn't this how you got stuck with coinnut? lol
    lol rofl rofl they way he keeps losing stuff maybe i should follow behind him more lol lol
    "Honesty is an expensive gift ,
    so don't expect it from cheap people"

XP Deus II , DFX ,TDI sl -

Click here to view my finds album

Quote Originally Posted by del link=topic=6387.msg74778#msg74778 date=1310429711
    lol rofl rofl they way he keeps losing stuff maybe i should follow behind him more lol lol
    I never lose the good stuff lol

Quote Originally Posted by steve in so az link=topic=6387.msg74772#msg74772 date=1310425126
    coinnut - It's kinda fun to go behind others and dig what they miss Steve in so az
    It is, that is why I hunt with Del rofl

Quote Originally Posted by milco link=topic=6387.msg74774#msg74774 date=1310426166
    Exactly! And I agree with what the others have said as well.
    Yep, I'm tired of nasty or problem people. They can hang with themselves
    Finding relics is in my blood

GPX 5000, CTX 3030, E Trac, Vista Gold