Thread: Hunt with Del and our friend Mike

Hunt with Del and our friend Mike

Went on an all day hunt with Del and a friend of ours Mike, from out detecting club. We hit an old reliable cellar hole where the 2 cent pieces, and fat Indians come out. We figured it would be a good way to break in Mike lol Then we headed over to Mike's place and tried our luck at his old house No luck there for me though lol Here's my stuff.

All the trash (and there was a lot of it today)

[attachimg=1]

The better finds were plentiful too.

[attachimg=2]

Three of the buttons didn't clean up as nice as the last batch. The first is a pewter? (lead probably lol) civilian button, followed by a couple of military ones. The last one has an iron back Didn't expect that. It is the nicest of the buttons found today.

[attachimg=3]

Also got a fattie Indian (1859) and a semi key date 1866 Indian too I can already see there is something going on with the date on the '66. Either repunched or doubled or something strange

[attachimg=4]
    [attachimg=5]

Also got a nice 1864 2 cent piece (Large Motto >:/)

[attachimg=6]

And finally I found this 1852 Large cent on my second or third hole. Not even 20 minutes into the hunt, I knew it was going to be a good day.

[attachimg=7]

So, That is my story and I am sticking to it

Attached Images Attached Images        
    Finding relics is in my blood

GPX 5000, CTX 3030, E Trac, Vista Gold

Re: Hunt with Del and our friend Mike

A great hunt indeed! Way to go!

Have you been updating your YTD totals at the bottom of your posts? Seems like you have more than 13 coppers and 8 silvers?
    Minelab E-trac, Sunray X1 probe

2011 Silver goal: 20 (14 YTD- 8 Rosies, 5 Mercury Head dimes, 1 Barber dime)
    2011 Clad goal: $50 ($132.50 year to date)

Quote Originally Posted by Viking link=topic=6442.msg75242#msg75242 date=1310868968
    Have you been updating your YTD totals at the bottom of your posts? Seems like you have more than 13 coppers and 8 silvers?
    lol I'm too tired lol I think the silver count is correct, but the copper count just went up by 1 thumbsup01 Coppers are hard to find this year for some reason

Awesome hunt George!! |)
    I can't believe how many flat buttons you find. I wonder why I don't find any here?
    They look like they would ring up pretty solid on a detector. I'm guessing pretty high on the conductive scale.
    Three very, very nice coins too. I'd be in heaven if I pulled a LC, fatty and 2 Cent piece in a hunt.
    The 2 Center is in very nice shape.
    Congrats.

swell job there G ya did way better than i did today :-\
    2008-14 coppers
    2009-32 coppers
    2010-34 coppers 2-GW buttons
    2011- 80 & 3/4 coppers 1-GW button
    2012- 92 coppers/large cents 1-GW button
    2013- 57 1/4 coppers 6- GW Buttons
    2014- 69 coppers 1-GW button
    2015- 20 1/4 coppers
    2016-44 coppers 1-GW button
    2017-19 & 1/2 coppers
    2018-19 coppers 1-GW
    2019-5 coppers
    click to see my photo album

I'd say thats an awesome day!

Veteran Member

Wow, what an amazing hunt. Congrats on that fine pile of keepers.
    Oldest: 1755 Spanish silver; 1800 half dime | 1842 seated half | 1857 seated quarter | 516 silver coins in 2011!

it was great to meet up with Mike ( his first stab at cellar hunting ) i'm sure it was a little uncomfortable at first , being out of his normal element and using a new different program for his dfx. so it was a little tough for him but chalk it up as a learning experience and he said he had a great time out with us and i'm looking toward his next time out .

you had very good day George six coins total for one day at a hunted to death site ain't bad . i can't believe this site still produces coins after almost 6 years of detecting by 6 or more hunters . atleast 65 coins have been recovered from this site , more than a hundered buttons .

my take for the day was an old brass bell an older suspender buckle a few buttons , one handmade lead poker chip and two indians ( a very weakly struck 1859 and an 1882)

Dan
    Attached Images Attached Images   
    "Honesty is an expensive gift ,
    so don't expect it from cheap people"

XP Deus II , DFX ,TDI sl -

Click here to view my finds album

You really went on a detecting rampage, didn't you George. lol Those are some really sweet finds. The 2-Cent piece is beautiful! I'm loving that 1866 Indian Head cent too.

Always love your hunts/posts you guys You did FANTASTIC |)

Bet they all cleaned up real nice- they look mighty fine
    Oldest silver-- 1838o seated dime (no stars)
    Oldest copper-- 1820 LC

White's V3i, Coinmaster, XLT, Prism IV, Whites new TRX PP- Love it!!! Garretts PP

Way to go guys, and you are breaking in another potential cellar hole hunter.. Great finds
    V3i- Prism IV- Pro Pointer
    2020 GOAL: Any Flowing Hair coin

TOTAL 100 YEAR OLD COINS - -280
    2020:
    Silver: 11

Oldest U.S. Copper - 1795 Liberty Cap
    Oldest U.S. Silver - 1829 Capped Bust Dime extra large 10C
    Click here to view my album

I think I dug up that very same can .... about 15 times.

lol

Love the large cent.
    Great hunt.

Minelab E-trac; CTX 3030

Amazing amount of buttons stretcher:

I'd love to see your coin collections (coppers) sometime. You've prob mentioned before how you store them-sleeves and books? Maybe when I come do a cellar hunt w/ya'll

Oldest copper-- 1820 LC

White's V3i, Coinmaster, XLT, Prism IV, Whites new TRX PP- Love it!!! Garretts PP

Elite Member

Very nice....very nice
    2014 Goals: 20 Silver, 5 Large Coppers, 1 Gold Coin (not anticipating being able to detect much this year; NEW BABY HERE!!)
    So Far: (0) Silver; (2) KG, LC 1807; (2) IH; (3) Buff

2013 Total: 36 Silver; 5LC (including 1 FUGIO)
    2012 Total:101 Silver; 11 LC

Quote Originally Posted by tanacat link=topic=6442.msg75609#msg75609 date=1311168291
    Amazing amount of buttons stretcher:

I'd love to see your coin collections (coppers) sometime. You've prob mentioned before how you store them-sleeves and books? Maybe when I come do a cellar hunt w/ya'll
    Storing my finds?? That may be a good idea sometime lol Just kidding. Most of them are in 2x2's and in those metal cases used for slides. I think they hold 125 or 150 slides each. Works great for 2x2's, although you do have to hit the back of the staples with a hammer to make them flush lol Oops, better not miss and hit the coin 8/ Anytime you are in the area, you can hit a cellar hole with us, but fair warning, it's a lot of wandering around and hoping for some good stuff

Quote Originally Posted by coinnut link=topic=6442.msg75629#msg75629 date=1311170921
    Storing my finds?? That may be a good idea sometime lol Just kidding. Most of them are in 2x2's and in those metal cases used for slides. I think they hold 125 or 150 slides each. Works great for 2x2's, although you do have to hit the back of the staples with a hammer to make them flush
    lol Oh yeah- you have told me about your system before 8/

Quote Originally Posted by coinnut link=topic=6442.msg75629#msg75629 date=1311170921
    Anytime you are in the area, you can hit a cellar hole with us, but fair warning, it's a lot of wandering around and hoping for some good stuff
    And the mosquitoes the size of birds? lol

I'm up for adventure- I even have a college degree in camping/outdoor recreation I just have to get away from my kids for a week or so... it'll prob be a year or two...
    Oldest copper-- 1820 LC

Nice finds Cnut . Your Navy botton looks to be an Federal Navy button , NA233As1 , Scovill Mg. Co. made these during the 1850s , similar to the NA113 , without the cannon balls . The Confederates have one allmost just like it . Theres dont have the backgroung , and made of white metal . CSN272A1 . That is nice . Yall have fun and the best of luck to all . Steel too hot for me !
    Civil War Nut
    V3, V3i, 4" 6" 8" (3) 10" 12" DD super coils

Quote Originally Posted by Civil War Nut link=topic=6442.msg75698#msg75698 date=1311230280
    Nice finds Cnut . Your Navy botton looks to be an Federal Navy button , NA233As1 , Scovill Mg. Co. made these during the 1850s , similar to the NA113 , without the cannon balls . The Confederates have one allmost just like it . Theres dont have the backgroung , and made of white metal . CSN272A1 . That is nice . Yall have fun and the best of luck to all . Steel too hot for me !
    Thanks CWN. The Navy button threw me off since the back is corroded steel I was expecting a brass back, so I thought it was newer. Kinda hard to get a backmark off of rust lol Can't wait for this heat to break. It has finally reached MA now >:/ Gonna be getting up in the 90's with some higher humidity too

Nice digs George, love the pix!!
    SeabeeRon on the beach in Santa Cruz,CA.