Thread: Half Dime, Trime And Barber Dimes

Half Dime, Trime And Barber Dimes

Yesterday morning I worked a nearby small park from where I picked up several miscellaneous items, one Indian Head cent, and a 1858-O seated half dime. Then in the afternoon I headed to a town common and worked the shady ground under some large trees. From there I managed three Indian Head cents, one mercury dime, and two Barber dimes.

The 1858-O seated half dime is very worn. At first I thought it was a Spanish half reale. It was neat to make out the half dime under my magnifying glass though.

The day's silver. There are no mint marks on the Barber dimes.

The Indian Head cents and miscellaneous finds.

Today in the afternoon I worked the same nearby small park for a little over three hours and scored with one Indian Head cent, two wheat cents, and a 1853 three-cent (trime) silver piece. Unfortunately the fragile coin snapped when I was retrieving it from the hole. >:{

Stay cool everyone!

Re: Half Dime, Trime And Barber Dimes

You broke a trime Medic Nothing a little super glue can't fix lol Nice score on the half dime and 3 cent piece. That '81 Indian looks like it will clean up real nice. thumbsup01
    Finding relics is in my blood

GPX 5000, CTX 3030, E Trac, Vista Gold

Very cool stuff - I can't wait to have a day like that - great job
    Ace 250 - new but loving it!

Quote Originally Posted by coinnut link=topic=6451.msg75340#msg75340 date=1310945925
    You broke a trime Medic Nothing a little super glue can't fix lol Nice score on the half dime and 3 cent piece. That '81 Indian looks like it will clean up real nice. thumbsup01
    Yeah, that was what I said to console myself - use glue. lol I think the coin was still lodged on the side of the hole when I grabbed some soil to place on my towel. 8/

Veteran Member leslie(nova scotia)'s Avatar

yo A

From the land of the Bluenose.....great job on the silver in two forms! <
    From the land of the Bluenose.....life is a beach at least till the tide comes in and the Bud is all gone. Swish and dig at the drop of a dime!

Another brilliant hunt! thumbsup01 I can't believe that we own the same metal detector...shows the importance of having a world class operator swinging it!!!
    Minelab E-trac, Sunray X1 probe

2011 Silver goal: 20 (14 YTD- 8 Rosies, 5 Mercury Head dimes, 1 Barber dime)
    2011 Clad goal: $50 ($132.50 year to date)

awesome looking hunt wtg
    Be Safe And Happy Hunting All

Sarge

Stunning finds! What did the trime come in at and how deep was it? I don't have an E-Trac but just curious. Congrats!
    Minelab Equinox 600 & Whites Coinmaster, Garrett Propointer, Lesche Digger
    Oldest silver: 1853 Half-dime & 1876S Seated Quarter / Oldest coin: 1849 US Large Cent / 1854 Upper Canada One Penny Bank Token

Never in my life have a seen a coin break in half like that. Weird! Yep, I would just clean up the two halves and super glue it back together.

Super finds, as always, Angel! I love the half dime!
    Lifetime totals:
    10 Large Cents, 415 Indian Heads, 2 Two Cent Pieces, 1 Capped Bust Half Dime, 1 Seated Half Dime, 10 Shield Nickels, 68 V Nickels, 124 Buffalo Nickels, 31 War Nickels, 16 Seated Dimes, 131 Barber Dimes, 405 Mercury Dimes, 249 Rosies, 4 Seated Quarters, 18 Barber Quarters, 20 Standing Liberty Quarters, 89 Silver Washingtons, 1 Seated Half, 3 Barber Halves, 16 Walking Liberty Halves

YouTube Channel: Tony Two-Cent https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCmz...RlHTBIU42bUORg

I can't believe we live in the same state.
    If it wasn't for flashbacks, i would have no memory at all

Veteran Member

Awesome hunt as usual Angel. Too bad about the trime, but still an amazing find.
    Oldest: 1755 Spanish silver; 1800 half dime | 1842 seated half | 1857 seated quarter | 516 silver coins in 2011!

Thanks everyone!

Quote Originally Posted by Viking link=topic=6451.msg75354#msg75354 date=1310949399
    Another brilliant hunt! thumbsup01 I can't believe that we own the same metal detector...shows the importance of having a world class operator swinging it!!!
    Thank you Viking. Several members here have made great strides in learning their machines' language too, and have been posting some beautiful finds. Try the suggested tips and hints they post along with their finds, especially for the machine you are using. Before you know it the E-Trac will be whispering sweet things in your ears. lol

Quote Originally Posted by milco link=topic=6451.msg75357#msg75357 date=1310949664
    Stunning finds! What did the trime come in at and how deep was it? I don't have an E-Trac but just curious. Congrats!
    It wasn't very deep. The probe hit on it at about the 5 mark. The Fe/Co was a steady 12-25 and 12-26.

Quote Originally Posted by Tony Two-Cent link=topic=6451.msg75361#msg75361 date=1310951109
    Never in my life have a seen a coin break in half like that. Weird! Yep, I would just clean up the two halves and super glue it back together.

Super finds, as always, Angel! I love the half dime!
    That was a first for me too. lol I will remove the clinging soil before attempting to glue the pieces together.

Nice couple of hunts Angel. So many nice coins out there.
    The Three Cent Piece is an awesome find... broken or not. Bummer it broke though.
    When were the older parks you hunt first put into use? It's tough finding a park
    around here earlier than 1890's. Which makes finding LC's at these places somewhat challenging. lol
    Love all that old silver.

Quote Originally Posted by jkress link=topic=6451.msg75374#msg75374 date=1310953095
    Nice couple of hunts Angel. So many nice coins out there.
    The Three Cent Piece is an awesome find... broken or not. Bummer it broke though.
    When were the older parks you hunt first put into use? It's tough finding a park
    around here earlier than 1890's. Which makes finding LC's at these places somewhat challenging. lol
    Love all that old silver.
    Several of the larger parks I have worked do go back to the early 1800's. That's why they have been hit to death. lol I'm not exactly sure how old the small park is though, but it may be from the mid-1800's. I will have to try and get some history on it.

Wow... lots of years for coin drops. And I am sure lots and lots of detectorists over the years.
    Your abilities still fascinate me.

Yup, Angel without a doubt, IS the human vacumn cleaner. You are, &quotaVacMan.... |)
    MXT Pro, Garrett Pro Pointer, 5.3 & and 950 coils, Sun Ray Pro Gold HP, Excalibur , 1000 coil, 2, Whites Dual Field PIs, Sovereign GT

Oldest Silver: 17?2 Half Reale

Oldest Coins: 1723 Halfpenny ,1729- ? KG 2rd Half Penny, 1786 Connecticut Copper, 1787 Fugio.

11@ 1807,8 Reale Counterfeit Cache

Once again, excellent hunting, congrats
    V3i- Prism IV- Pro Pointer
    2020 GOAL: Any Flowing Hair coin

TOTAL 100 YEAR OLD COINS - -280
    2020:
    Silver: 11

Oldest U.S. Copper - 1795 Liberty Cap
    Oldest U.S. Silver - 1829 Capped Bust Dime extra large 10C
    Click here to view my album

Thats a great hunt there, congrats on all the awesome finds.
    MXT300 D2,950,6x10,4x6

Quote Originally Posted by BOWSER link=topic=6451.msg75365#msg75365 date=1310951903
    I can't believe we live in the same state.
    Makes me a bit happy to not live close to Angel. |)
    Even if I knew where he was detecting, I seriously doubt I would make those finds. Simply amazing!

Minelab E-trac; CTX 3030

Nice even if broken....only 3 cent I've ever came across was the nickle variety. Was part of a 2 cent spill. Fantastic!